cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild motor in truck or get newer car.

tag
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Rebuild motor in truck or get newer car.

Been having trouble with my truck losing oil like a quart in 100 miles. I replaced several things on it to see if it would stop but it hasn't thinking I need to rebuild the motor . But doing the math tonight I realized I could make a car payment with what I'd save in gas if I had a newer car instead of my truck . I'd rebuild it eventually but could take my time if I got another car . But I plan on buying a house around Feb or march so I'm tore on what to do . Don't want to increase dti but don't want another beater to pour money in to . Any opinions?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuild motor in truck or get newer car.

One quart per 1k miles...that's your rings going.

One per 100 miles...do you have any valves,rockers, or compression left to start the engine???

Local credit union, or Cap One "blank check," if your scores are current.

Message 2 of 10
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I do it just got that bad all of a sudden back  in may I replaced the intake gaskets and pleneum gaskets it stopped leaking then last week i noticed it was smoking and burning oil so I replaced the valve stem seals . I did both compression tests and it was good . I think i may have found a truck the same year as mine with a bad xmsn so if I can get it cheap enough I will just put mine in it and it is an extended cab unlike mine. I really do not want a new loan since I have been getting ready to buy a home. It is pretty frustarating every time I think I am getting ahead something comes up but I am sure everyone feels like this at times.

Message 3 of 10
Mrm-na
New Contributor

I'm kind of late here.

But personally, I wouldn't buy anything that needs to be financed.  I don't believe it's usually necessary to go into debt for a car, at least if you're mechanically inclined as you apparently are.

If this truck is your only vehicle, then I would agree with getting another car, because I think it's always a good idea to have 2 vehicles available so that you have a backup.  Also, you'll enjoy the fuel mileage benefit whenever you don't need/want to drive the truck.

I'd look for an older model, inexpensive car that has a strong mechanical relationship to vehicles that you're already experienced with, and which you are comfortable working on.  That way you'll be better able to evaluate it's condition, you'll know what things will cost to repair, and you'll be more adept at doing these things.  Any used car always needs some work, so make that your first priority while holding the truck in reserve.  Once you're satisfied that the car is in good shape, then you can plan on an overhaul of the truck.

To lose that much oil makes me think it may be a gasket leak, possibly the rear main seal.  But if so, you should see the evidence on the ground.  Sometimes gasket leaks can be slowly improved by using "high mileage" oil, which over time will eventually swell the seals a bit.  But it might not do any good at all if the leak is bad enough.. assuming it's a leak at all.

Did the valve stem seals affect the oil burning symptoms, or do you still see it burning out the tailpipe?

Message 4 of 10
twall06
Frequent Contributor

I got another one and put my transmission in it . It was 600 so not out much . Mine was old and I drove it hard in the woods and deep mudholes it was more of a toy than a practical truck . I came out better in the end I needed an extended cab anyways . I drive my civic everyday only use a tank of gas a week the truck is more for weekends and hauling things off .
Message 5 of 10
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I would be lost without my truck !

yes there is always something that happens......  Been doing great, getting all financing in order, wife and son come home from the dentist.  She has to have 3k worth of root canal and crowns.  Son has to have wisdom teeth removed and BRACES......  My first thoughts are, Well, ok........No travel trailer for me hahahha. 

lol what can you do but hand them the floss in the bathroom, brush and paste and say dont forget it next time lol.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 6 of 10
twall06
Frequent Contributor

I know how it is my gf wrecked my civic today ..
A lady just stopped in the middle if the highway right over a hill she came over and smack. And they gave her a ticket for it . The lady said she had just stopped didn't have a reason to be . So my car is crushed and got a $300 ticket to pay.
Message 7 of 10
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Oh noooooooooo.   I had a friend of mine have the same thing happen.   He had a brand new Audi, just entering a small town at night and some idiot stopped oin the road, cut his lights off and was talking to people that lived on the edge of the road.  He got the ticket.    I think both issues should have been failure to yield right of way.  So many laws are made to protect dumb folks.  WHY stop in the road just to be doing it.  ughh

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 8 of 10
twall06
Frequent Contributor

I know im pretty upset it was our family car i saved up to buy it so we would have a nice dependable car . Its just a gut shot i worked so hard to get that car and not have to finance anything . Just glad my gf is ok and she had already dropped the kids at the sitters when it happened. We was supposed to go do our xmas shopping but decided to postpone it a few weeks .I don't see how they can give her a ticket when the other person was stopped over a hill on a hwy she said she thought a funeral was going by yet the cop said there wasn't any scheduled to b out there .
Message 9 of 10
Startome
Regular Contributor

@twall06 wrote:
I know im pretty upset it was our family car i saved up to buy it so we would have a nice dependable car . Its just a gut shot i worked so hard to get that car and not have to finance anything . Just glad my gf is ok and she had already dropped the kids at the sitters when it happened. We was supposed to go do our xmas shopping but decided to postpone it a few weeks .I don't see how they can give her a ticket when the other person was stopped over a hill on a hwy she said she thought a funeral was going by yet the cop said there wasn't any scheduled to b out there .

Part of Po-po training doesn't include intelligence. Smiley Wink

Some are smart, some are not, the police force unfortunately doesn't seem to do much to increase a higher trend towards smart ones lol

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.