Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing the Activation Sticker

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing the Activation Sticker

I'm curious, does anyone leave the sticker on the card?

My mom did, because she thought the sticker would deter thrives from using the card in case it was lost.

I know most of us prefer to look at our pretty cards, but I was wondering if any credit card enthusiasts did this.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Removing the Activation Sticker

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm curious, does anyone leave the sticker on the card?

My mom did, because she thought the sticker would deter thrives from using the card in case it was lost.

I know most of us prefer to look at our pretty cards, but I was wondering if any credit card enthusiasts did this.

Not me.  After a little time in my wallet, the sticker would begin to look rather haggard pretty fast, and would likely come off by itself after a little while. 

As for thieves, I don't worry too much about them... that's what I have credit cards for.  I do the best I can and always practice due diligence, but in the end it's the bank's problem, not mine.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Not me but I'm not sure how leaving the stickers on a credit card would deter any thieves or fraudsters. I've seen individuals who've left the sticker on their card while checking out at the store and the clerk not batting an eye about it.
Message 3 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Not me but I'm not sure how leaving the stickers on a credit card would deter any thieves or fraudsters. I've seen individuals who've left the sticker on their card while checking out at the store and the clerk not batting an eye about it.

I was going to say this. but thought it best just not to commentSmiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I was going to say this. but thought it best just not to commentSmiley Very Happy

I assume the idea is that a theif might believe it is not activated and so not bother to try to use it.   Probably wouldn't work but.....

Some people using PIN-enabled gift cards  leave the sticker on as it often hides the word "Gift" which some cashiers look for when asked to do certain types of transactions.   Not sure it really works there either!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do..at least for citi, though I'm a fan I don't like having their name shown..I just also like the activate sticker card..same for my Schwab debit

discover it is so plain I don't mind if it's on or off

the Amex strangely didn't come with one. both it and CSP has been redecorated with my own stickers Smiley Very Happy

one of the lady thought it was water on my CSP because I had a fish and a dog kissing but the fish is raised and clear...

but than again I'm funny that way. i would never wear logo/self endorsed brand names, not even something like supreme in 2007...well unless I get paid Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Peeling off the activation sticker is part of getting a new card. 

It's like peeling that plastic off of a screen on a new item you buy. It's just part of the process. I don't think I'd be able to leave the activation sticker on just because it would bother me so much. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I assume the idea is that a theif might believe it is not activated and so not bother to try to use it.   Probably wouldn't work but.....

Some people using PIN-enabled gift cards  leave the sticker on as it often hides the word "Gift" which some cashiers look for when asked to do certain types of transactions.   Not sure it really works there either!

Yeah this was the idea. 

Message 8 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

When I saw the title of this post, I laughed to myself because I love the new card opening process from envelope to pocket and peel that sticker off nice and firm so it doesn’t leave any sticky ick on my card.

Anyways, I just find it funny how the issuers and like WARNING- remove this sticker before using the card. They really want that sticker removed. I get the elements that go into it but it seems like they are over dramatizing the sticker lol. My chase zappos visa just came the other day, no sticker! I was like woohoooo! I don’t have to make sure to remove anything!! I like your topic, op! Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.