Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz Carlton CC and Hotel Stays

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Ritz Carlton CC and Hotel Stays

Had a recent stay at Ritz Carlton in Caribbeans. I carried Chase Sapphire Reserve, AmEx SPG & Plat, and the Ritz Carlton CC.  For point values alone, probably both CSR and SPG give more point values.  But it is very easy to take out the Ritz CC, not the other CCs.  To certain level or degree, points are just points.  We need to enjoy the real value from the points....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Ritz Carlton CC and Hotel Stays

...what a weird post. I expected something different tbh.
Message 2 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If a card is hard to take out, move it to another part of your wallet.

I could see it being a little odd using a Hyatt card at a RC or something, but SPG isn't competitor anymore for RC. Maybe you feel it would mark you as a newcomer or something.

Keep in mind a lot of rebuilders got a $5k "old" RC with less than amazing credit or income. The card is, or at least used to be, not very hard to get.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 6
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I could see it being a little odd using a Hyatt card at a RC or something, but SPG isn't competitor anymore for RC. Maybe you feel it would mark you as a newcomer or something.

Keep in mind a lot of rebuilders got a $5k "old" RC with less than amazing credit or income. The card is, or at least used to be, not very hard to get.

Mmm hmm.

Unless the RC comes lubricated, I agree. It's all about location, location, location in your wallet/purse/pocket/fanny pack/spring-loaded-as-seen-on-TV-money-clip-thingamabob/etc.

I've bought stuff on a Delta flight with my MileagePlus Club card before, but they didn't judge and I doubt the desk clerk making $12/hour at the front desk cares much either. 

I would wager the only reason the RC card isn't in at least as many wallets as a Capital One or BoA card is because a lot people have annualfeeophobia.

What I'm still trying to figure out is what the real value from the points is if it's not a cash value.

Message 4 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Mmm hmm.

Unless the RC comes lubricated, I agree. It's all about location, location, location in your wallet/purse/pocket/fanny pack/spring-loaded-as-seen-on-TV-money-clip-thingamabob/etc.

I've bought stuff on a Delta flight with my MileagePlus Club card before, but they didn't judge and I doubt the desk clerk making $12/hour at the front desk cares much either. 

I would wager the only reason the RC card isn't in at least as many wallets as a Capital One or BoA card is because a lot people have annualfeeophobia.

What I'm still trying to figure out is what the real value from the points is if it's not a cash value.

For my travel habits, the card is not very appealing for a number of reasons. The AF is a pretty minor concern.

1. I fly fairly often, but often to visit family, and have comparatively few hotels stays in the first place. I also go to some out-of-the-way places where there's not always a Marriott.

2.  A lot of my hotel stays are with points or certificates. Very occcasionally there is a 4-night revenue stay that goes on Prestige. I don't have a lot in revenue stays, and I'm not very brand-loyal.

3. Sometimes I do luxury stays, but often I just go to a pretty basic property. For me, status doesn't often do more than give me some extra points and late checkout.

4. Chase's Executive CS is great, but I get it independently.

Taking this together, I just can't get a great value from Marriott points. I already have Gold from Amex Platinum. I'd have to spend $75k on RC to get better status. I can get a much better value putting that spend on CSR/CFU/BBP. For luxury stays, I'd rather just accumulate a bunch of URs and get a better cpp value at Hyatt.

(Some of this will likely be changing as SPG is integrated. Others are better-informed of announced and likely changes.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went from the Ritz card to the Hilton Aspire card a few months ago.

I used to stay at Marriott hotels all the time, but due to Marriott not allowing the buy back deal I would've been gold from now on and no longer platinum. So I BOUGHT the Hilton diamond status with the AMEX card. 

I've only stayed in 4 or 5 Hilton hotels in the last 20 years but now that they are my hotel I'll be staying a bunch every year. 

Yes I do miss the all metal Ritz card but Marriott merging made my decision easy.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.