cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz Carlton replacement cards are now cheap metal plastics...

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Ritz Carlton replacement cards are now cheap metal plastics...

Just an FYI, if you need a replacement card it appears Chase is sending replacement cards that are similar to the CSP card, little metal in the middle and double sided plastic, very cheap feeling for a premium card.
EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ritz Carlton replacement cards are now cheap metal plastics...

@IcEWoLF wrote:
Just an FYI, if you need a replacement card it appears Chase is sending replacement cards that are similar to the CSP card, little metal in the middle and double sided plastic, very cheap feeling for a premium card.

That's a shame.  While not surprising given that the card is now discontinued and Chase probably doesn't want to spend the money for the full metal card. While normally I don't care about a card's aesthetics, part of the appeal for the Ritz card is its heaviness.  Hopefully, my existing card lasts and I don't get any fraudulent charges on the card that would require a replacement

Message 2 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'm a little sad that I missed out on grabbing the card.  I've admired it from afar for a few years now.  FWIW I actually had my first trouble with a "metal card" this weekend when I tried to pay for parking at an automated machine at Vieux-Port de Montréal; CSR was too thick to fit in the slot, so with no Amex accepted I paid with my BoA Premium Rewards card.

Message 3 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've never had CSR/CSP be too thick for a slot. I think Amex Plat was once too thick, but I can't think of where it was.

But I've read it was a semi-frequent problem with the (now "old") RC.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 10
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Maybe we will see a new design or style, I liked the classy look and heftyness.
My main thing is, I like the visa infinite benefits, also the travel credits make a huge difference for me.
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 5 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:
My main thing is, I like the visa infinite benefits, also the travel credits make a huge difference for me.

Isn't it closed to new apps as part of the Amex/Chase/Marriott agreement?

I doubt they would go to the expense of redesigning a card if it won't get any new customers.

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Isn't it closed to new apps as part of the Amex/Chase/Marriott agreement?

I doubt they would go to the expense of redesigning a card if it won't get any new customers.

Indeed, the JPM Ritz is closed to new applications.

I requested the plastic version at one point since (1) some CC slots were to tight to fit the card, and (2) it kept falling out of my wallet, sometimes.  I know #firstworldproblems, right? Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It did seem weird to me that a hotel cobrand with a $10k minimum SL would have a nicer composition than JPMR.

Message 8 of 10
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I know I am disappointed...let’s see what happens.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just replaced my card pre-emptively (as i believed my number was compromised) - at least it still arrived quickly, and in relatively nice packaging - but nothing compared to what it used to be like.  I am very dissapointed.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.