Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating category fatigue

tag
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Rotating category fatigue

I'm getting to the point I'm getting tired of the every three month switch of cards for my rotating caterories (Flex and Discover)

Over the years I've aquired cards that have decent rewards that are constant with no limits.

Am I the only one?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Rotating category fatigue

@Yankee2 wrote:

I'm getting to the point I'm getting tired of the every three month switch of cards for my rotating caterories (Flex and Discover)

Over the years I've aquired cards that have decent rewards that are constant with no limits.

Am I the only one?

No

However I don't think we are a large number in this forum

All my spend is split between two 3% non-category, no limit, no fuss, cashback every month cards.   Closed all my 5% cards,

Message 2 of 27
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

The whole rotating category thing has never appealed to me; never had one of those cards, and never plan to apply for one.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 27
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

To give more info, I had only one 1% card for years and then got Discover.  At that time, it was 2% dining. Later on it switched to the rotating categories. (not sure why or when...)

Since then I've gotten....

AMEX BCP- 6% grocery and streaming, 3% gas.

BofA- 3% online

Capital One Savor (grandfathered) no AF 4% dining, 3% grocery

Citi Bank DC- 2% everything

Citi Bank CC- 5% categories, gas, grocery or dining

It's getting to the point that the credit card companies are making the rotating categories obsolete. (my wife would LOVE that....Smiley Happy)

My Discover is at the age I would hate to get rid of it since it's my 2nd oldest card, (14 years)  but I'm a breath away of at least ditching the Flex (it's my highest CL) just to be done with the every 3 month switch-a-ru....Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 27
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

My need for Discover has been reduced the past few years, like you mentioned, due to my other dedicated category cards......however, my recent realization has made it invaluable and may be something you may want to consider.

Discover and Chase FF both have PayPal category. If that continues, that makes at least one quarter of the year (with each card) a dedicated 5% Anything Online with PayPal Key.  I have a lot of dedicated categories covered with 5%, but for those things I can't....this fills a very unique gap. Some examples:

Insurance Payments online  5%

Medical Payments online  5%

Travel/Hotel arrangements online  5%

Movie Theatre tickets prebuy online  5%

Ticketmaster/Stubhub, etc.   5%

Guns/Ammunition online  5%

New Tires online (Tire Rack, etc.)  5%

Auto Parts bought online   5%

This is why I added Chase FF to my Goal card list. Between Discover and Chase, that's 2 alternating quarters with $1500 of non-category spend I can cover @ 5%.  Just got my PayPal Key this past week.  Just wanted to bring that to your attention, if you weren't already using it.   It kills that BoA 3% Online category....

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't use the 5% rotating cards much anymore, but not because I'm tired of switching, just that they don't often fall into categories I spend in.

Message 6 of 27
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

It can be cumbersome. At least Disco is consistent about their categories. The cards out there that you can chose your 5% categories are nice too, like USB Cash+ and Elan MCP. That way you can keep your categories the same year round, or switch it up just for a quarter if you feel your spend is heading in a different direction for that amount of time. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

I use the Freedom categories the most, though some quarters can't max them out. The UR points are much more than 5% to me. I also set my two Cash+ to get regular 5%, and that adds up fast. 

I don't use my Discover at all for 5%. It seems to always conflict with other points cards Id rather use.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently converted Freedom Flex to Freedom unlimited.

Now I have AMEX BCP for 6% groceries and 3% gas, Chase Freedom Unlimited for 3% dining and drugstores, and Citi DC for 2% everything else.

In addition, I can use Chasee Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% cash back on anything, should Citi DC not work at some store.

This covers all my categories. I am not interested in quarterly rotation cards. 

Message 9 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I use FF and Discover some (hardly ever Citi Div).   I don't find it that fatiguing, but think that some people are over enthuastic about them!  Forgetting the potentially higher value of UR, if you max out every quarter, you get $300.   Put the same on a flat 2% and you get $120.

So a fairly unlikely maximum gain of $180 a year, and this ignores that for some quarters: a) you won't max out and b) you may have cards that pay more than 2%.

Discover first year is worthwhile though.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.