cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG Luxury AMEX, Metal ?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Will the AMEX Aspire and Delta Reserve ever be Metal ?

Yes to AMEX Aspire. 

Perhaps for Delta Reserve. 

$450 AF cards are looking for any marketing edge. 

I will say though, I am a fan of the plastic, raised letters and info on both the Delta and Hilton cards. Each of those families has three to four cards, with consistent design,  and that is the argument against going to metal on the $450 version. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes to AMEX Aspire. 

Perhaps for Delta Reserve. 

$450 AF cards are looking for any marketing edge. 

I will say though, I am a fan of the plastic, raised letters and info on both the Delta and Hilton cards. Each of those families has three to four cards, with consistent design,  and that is the argument against going to metal on the $450 version. 

Wait... you LIKE the embossed characters? I can’t stand them. Just got my new CFU, and was extremely annoyed to find it had embossed characters on the front considering their website images looked like it wouldn’t. Not only Chase, but Amex needs to get rid of the embossed characters too. The BCE would look way more slick. Clear card that simply says American Express on the front. It would be gorgeous.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex isn’t that widely accepted internationally as visa. If they do accept it the merchants call in manually to get approval and auth code. The raised numbers helps to get a carbon copy instead of manually written receipts. Helps with fraud prevention. It sure came in handy in my trip to Bolivia. So I do see value in raised numbers at times and would like to have the option to go either way.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Amex isn’t that widely accepted internationally as visa. If they do accept it the merchants call in manually to get approval and auth code. The raised numbers helps to get a carbon copy instead of manually written receipts. Helps with fraud prevention. It sure came in handy in my trip to Bolivia. So I do see value in raised numbers at times and would like to have the option to go either way.

Didn’t realize it was still like that overseas, but you’re right. Fair enough. I only brought it up because I see that the Gold and Platinum got the flat-facelift. Let’s see what happens.

Message 14 of 21
jb1280
Valued Member

Yes, when all is said and done in the rebranding and relaunching activity, we’ll see the following:

Personal Charge Cards: Green, Gold, Platinum all metal

Delta Portfolio: Reserve goes metal, and Platinum, Gold, and Blue stay plastic, but with numbers on back.

Hilton Portfolio: Aspire goes metal, remaining cards stay plastic, but with numbers on the back.

Blue Cash: Stay Plastic

Everyday: Stay Plastic

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jb1280 wrote:

Yes, when all is said and done in the rebranding and relaunching activity, we’ll see the following:

Delta Portfolio: Reserve goes metal, and Platinum, Gold, and Blue stay plastic, but with numbers on back.

Hilton Portfolio: Aspire goes metal, remaining cards stay plastic, but with numbers on the back.

You sound like you work for Amex. Any news on BCE/ED getting numbers on the back 👀

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jb1280 wrote:

You sound like you work for Amex. Any news on BCE/ED getting numbers on the back 👀

but it's a see-through card....   Smiley Indifferent

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know the holographic square? It actually already has the entire number on that part. It’s a much smaller font. They could easily squeeze the expiration date on that part as well. Name and 4 digits can remain on the front, nbd. It’s just those massive embossed characters that ruin that slick, see-through look.

EDIT: Here’s a picture I took of mine with only the last few digits.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SPG Luxury AMEX, Metal ?

I received a letter in the snail mail maybe 1-2 weeks ago letting me know that the AMEX SPG Luxury card will be reissued as a Marriott Bonvoy card - in metal. Woot!
Message 19 of 21
practical1
Regular Contributor

Re: SPG Luxury AMEX, Metal ?

So it appears.  Probably unlikely that my exhortations on the web had anything to do with this.  

Now that I have a couple of metal cards in my wallet (AMEX Gold, US Bank Altitude), I must say that I prefer them to any plastic versions and hope the rest of my premium issuers follow suit (Are you listening, AA Silver Barclaycard?)  

Not only do these cards have a satisfying heft when handled but my persistant fear of card damage, especially to the embossed plastic ones, seems to be somewhat assuaged.  The contactless capability of AMEX's implemenation is excellent and reliable.  Aside from the higher initial expense of issuance, can't think of a good reason why all premium cards shouldn't join the bandwagon.

In a pinch, one can probably also clear snow from a frosty windshield with one...just kidding.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.