Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club Vs Costco

tag
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sam's Club Vs Costco

So what's the difference between the standard membership and the Plus membership?
Message 11 of 25
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not a fan of Costco after a cashier rudely refused to accept Apple Pay when I didn't have my physical card on me yet. 

What? How could a cashier even refuse your payment? Aren't you supposed to pay yourself on the terminal and not hand your payment to the cashier? 

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes had my membership card but my Chase card didn't arrive yet so it was on my phone. Payment terminal did support Apple Pay. Cashier demanded to see my ID and physical card after it went through. Transaction immediately voided. Supervisor came over and informed me it was fraud prevention policy to check ID and suggested I use a debit card. Was a frustrating and unpleasant expereince so I walked away.

I realize other people have postive experiences with Costco but I wasn't happy with how I was treated. Glad I didn't lock myself into the Citi Costco Card

Message 13 of 25
2Hogrider
Established Member

here are some of the benefits of the Sams Club plus membership
2% cashback 
30% discounted prescriptions, over 600 different drugs for $10 or less and some even being free
free shipping from website
early shopping hours 7am-10
20% off eyeglasses with free shipping for contact lenses

Message 14 of 25
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes had my membership card but my Chase card didn't arrive yet so it was on my phone. Payment terminal did support Apple Pay. Cashier demanded to see my ID and physical card after it went through. Transaction immediately voided. Supervisor came over and informed me it was fraud prevention policy to check ID and suggested I use a debit card. Was a frustrating and unpleasant expereince so I walked away.

I realize other people have postive experiences with Costco but I wasn't happy with how I was treated. Glad I didn't lock myself into the Citi Costco Card

When that happened, how long had you been a Costco member?

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 15 of 25
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I am a member of both and have credit cards for both.  I like the 5%CB on Sam's for gas anywhere. I haven't had an issue yet.  Also I like Sam's for most things, but I find myself getting more groceries at Costco.

To me, it's more of a personal preference. You can't go wrong with either.

Guyatthebeach

Message 16 of 25
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

I'm glad you asked this question, because I have a Sam's up the street from me but I've had a Coscto card in the past. 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wal-Mart anything is a hard NO from me. Maybe Sam's is better, but I can't shake the notion of all the low quality items I see there.

Costco sells quality, pays their employees well, treats their customers right, and stands behind their products. Kirkland for life! LOL.

There is a reason Sam's is in deep trouble and Costco is taking over.

Message 18 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wal-Mart anything is a hard NO from me. Maybe Sam's is better, but I can't shake the notion of all the low quality items I see there.

Costco sells quality, pays their employees well, treats their customers right, and stands behind their products. Kirkland for life! LOL.

I'm not a Wal-Mart fan either, but we can't exactly say they're in trouble when they're still the largest employer of people in 22 states and 7 members of the Walton family are billionaires.

Can't say I've ever set foot in a Costco and the last time I was in a Sam's was 1996. I thought they were just budget warehouses where people can buy a forklift palette of toilet paper instead of a 6-pack. Has something changed or am I missing something that makes these places appealing?

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not a Wal-Mart fan either, but we can't exactly say they're in trouble when they're still the largest employer of people in 22 states and 7 members of the Walton family are billionaires.

Can't say I've ever set foot in a Costco and the last time I was in a Sam's was 1996. I thought they were just budget warehouses where people can buy a forklift palette of toilet paper instead of a 6-pack. Has something changed or am I missing something that makes these places appealing?

I was curious about the topic and had been doing some reading online before that last post. I don't think Wal-Mart as a whole is in trouble, but Sam's has closed/is closing a considerable amount of stores across the country. Some articles cite their problems as having never developed a GOOD store brand (i.e. Costco's Kirkland) and also the fact that their business model has them competing against themselves (their Wal-Mart stores.) There is also a direct correlation to the stores that are closing and whether or not there is a Costco nearby.

The appeal beyond the bulk household goods you've mentioned are Pharmacy items, Automotive, Electronics, Optical Liquor, and Clothing which have AMAZING deals. I'm not ashamed to admit that my wardrobe probably consists of at least 50% of items sourced at Costco that are all brand name, and just about never over $20-$30 per item (sometimes less.)

Stocking up on the household essentials you mentioned is huge for me. Compared to what toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap, etc. costs at a Duane Reade in Manhattan, it is unbelievably cheap at a warehouse store. When I first moved to the city 10 years ago, I was able to justify the cost of keeping my car (payment, insurance, and I even had a garage at the time) with the savings of buying everything I could in NJ. I actually saved money owning a car so long as I was diligent about this and Costco was a big part of that.  I'll tell you though that I had to get creative storing that stuff in a 295 sq ft Manhattan studio, but I did and managed to not have the place look like a warehouse!

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.