Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsonite or American Tourister

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Samsonite or American Tourister

Wife has decided we need to another large suitcase before our Disney trip.  We are looking at this as a purchase that should last a good long time.  Torn between either a Samsonite or American Tourister,  is there any real difference between the two at this point?  Any other brands I should be looking at?

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Samsonite or American Tourister

Recently bought a large Timbuk2 Copilot.  What sold me were the replaceable skateboard-wheels (cool!!), thick roller handle, and grab handles on all four sides.  No spinners for me.  Wheels are a big concern for me due to having to pull it through streets, where one on my last bag broke off.

I was already a fan of Timbuk2 bags since carrying their messenger and now backpack for work.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 11
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Wife has decided we need to another large suitcase before our Disney trip.  We are looking at this as a purchase that should last a good long time.  Torn between either a Samsonite or American Tourister,  is there any real difference between the two at this point?  Any other brands I should be looking at?

My 'Hartmann' luggage is  beautiful and functional after 30 years!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to say I’m partial to Tumi. I travel very extensively for work and have probably more of their pieces than one needs. Although I use my luggage often they are dependable and still look good even after many years of use. Their warranty and customer service are always top notch. Although I’ve been going to the same location and dealing with the same rep for over 6 or 7 years.
Message 4 of 11
tacpoly
Established Contributor

I like Rimowa — mostly as carry-on  as they’re the lightest and most maneuverable hard side suitcase I’ve encountered. They survive being checked in pretty well as well. 

I also have an Away suitcase - at less than half the price of Rimowa.  It too survived being checked in with flying colors, but I prefer the Rimowa for ease of handling. 

Message 5 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

Both are probably fine; I myself learn toward Samsonite and my current set has been much more durable than my previous sets from other brands (including AT).

The brand plays less of a factor in the equation than does the type and features. Do you want an old-school 2-wheel that you pull or a 4-wheel push luggage? Hard or soft shell? Layouts of the pockets, weight, stuff like that.

You can go out and spend thousands on a single piece of luggage, but it's going to get crushed and smashed just the same by baggage crew or other passengers in the overhead bins.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say spend the money now and get something top end.  You do not buy suitcases very often, and when they break down, it is brutal.  Tumi is great but get the top of the line.  I had a T-Tech, and it was crap.  If you prefer hard shell Rimowa seem awesome (I've never had one).  My GF loves her Arlo Sky so much, so she puts a protective cover if it needs to be checked Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say spend the money now and get something top end.  You do not buy suitcases very often, and when they break down, it is brutal.  Tumi is great but get the top of the line.  I had a T-Tech, and it was crap.  If you prefer hard shell Rimowa seem awesome (I've never had one).  My GF loves her Arlo Sky so much, so she puts a protective cover if it needs to be checked Smiley Surprised

If the point of luggage is to protect and carry something you want to take with you when you travel, then your GF effectively has luggage for her luggage.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally, haha!  You should see the looks when she is putting this bathing suit looking thing on the bag while waiting to check in...

Message 9 of 11
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Currently, I'm partial to Samsonite. My suitcase has been on six multi-country trips in Europe with no issues whatsoever. I always worry about the wheels on these new suitcases, but they have held up so far.

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.