cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving.. is SCARY.. how do you do it??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Saving.. is SCARY.. how do you do it??

I totally agree with the "write down everything" for a month idea. You need to do that to come up with a realistic budget. You don't know what you can cut out until you know what you're really spending. I started writing down all the drinks and snacks from vending machines I bought between classes, and that turned out to be a HUGE chunk of money! Bringing snacks and drinks with me made a big difference.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Saving.. is SCARY.. how do you do it??

Hey ivy, Smiley Happy

You mentioned that you and the DH are former military.

I'm retired from the federal government after 25 years of service.

10 years in the Army, 15 years as a DOD civilian. They offered me

an Early Retirement option with full bennies 6 years ago last month

(I was 44 at the time) and they didn't need to ask me twice.

I was GONE!!! Smiley Happy

How did I do it? Two things: 1) Matching Contributions and 2) Compound Interest.

You have no idea how powerful matching contributions really are. You'll never have

to worry about stock market risk to achieve your long-term goals...and you'll sleep

like a baby at night, which is infinitely more important. Smiley Very Happy

When I worked, I got dollar-for-dollar matching on the first 3% and 50 cents on the

dollar for the next 2%. I had 50% of my 401(k) money (we call it a Thrift Savings Plan)

in the "C" Fund (US stocks) and 50% in the "G" Fund (US Treasuries). Thankfully, I 

walked away with 6-figures in my TSP. However, given today's financial climate, if I

had it to do over again I'd keep 100% of my money in Treasuries and let the matching

contributions act as my annual return. This way, you have no market risk.

I know lots of folks I retired with who did just that. They contributed as much as they

could into the TSP (up to the IRS annual limit), dumped it into the G Fund and let the

matching funds compound their money. And this doesn't include the interest that the

Treasuries were paying them....and they still walked away with high 6-figure account

balances.

So don't let anyone try to underwhelm you about the importance of matching funds.

Lots of Americans have lost trust in Wall Street..and for good reason. This is why so

many people are selling assets and moving into cash. But everyone still has complete

trust in the full faith and credit of Uncle Sam. So if all your hubby does is dump money

into the safest fund his 401(k) offers and gets 50% matching contributions, you guys will

end up with so much money at retirement it'll make your head spin. Smiley Happy

The current IRS annual limit for contributions is $15,500 per individual. I know you guys

have kids and college is looming around the corner within the next 10 years. But you can

start small with 100 bucks a month and increase that amount over time. 50 bucks of FREE

money for every $100 you invest is a great deal no matter how you slice it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Investing can be scary if you're not sure where to start.

But matching contributions is your secret weapon, and you and the DH will be way ahead

of the game if you take advantage of it. Any other goals to be reached in 10 years or less

you can just keep it in cash, CD's, etc and you should be OK. Smiley Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.