Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Service is still a thing!!

tag
OmarR
Established Contributor

Selective Service is still a thing!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/10/16/america-may-never-have-a-draft-again-but...

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Re: Selective Service is still a thing!!

Apparently.  This led to me read up on it a few days ago and then ask every male I know or run in to if they've heard of it.  Those closer to my age or older were aware and either signed up or did not.  I still can't fathom I've never heard of this and wondered if there was some secret all male meeting at some point where they were informed. Most couldn't remember exactly where they heard about it but apparently no secret meeting. 

Most of those younger (all but one) never heard of it either.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm still mind blown at not ever hearing anything about this prior to your post..  

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 2 of 10
OmarR
Established Contributor

I grew up in a military town, so even prior to the age of 18, I was aware of the selective service and the havoc it would wreak on your life if you did not register.

"In California, the Selective Service System estimates, men who failed to register were denied access to more than $99 million in federal and state financial aid and job training benefits between 2007 and April of this year. Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Massachusetts saw $35 million in combined lost benefits between 2011 and spring 2014."

"Tennessee requires males who failed to register to pay out-of-state tuition to attend the University of Tennessee system – even if they are state residents and citizens. "

But I did not know that such repercissions were still going on in today's world!!

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 3 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My hometown had no local bases or defense employers. The nearest recruitment center never looked that busy. When I turned 18 I wasn't aware of the need to do anything when there was no active draft on the horizon.

I don't recall exactly how I discovered this, but fortunately at some point (certainly well before 26) some voter registration or driver license sent my info to Selective Service.

Or maybe my private college registered on my behalf. I want to say that was it, but I'm not sure how they would have known I was't yet registered, as I wasn't on any governmental financial aid, and my small scholarship had a private source.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the past the US Selective Service used to keep a notice and cards for sign up in the USPS. Saw it every time I entered the post office. Now that this thread has appeared (raised my conscience level of awareness) I don't see the notice or sign up cards.

Back in time the Selective Service would run reminder ads (haven't seen any for a long long time).

The failure to report also slid by me as I did not know about the holds the Federal Government put on many items if you hadn't signed up. Amazed!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember when I was in high school (1988-1991) the school I went to in Florida would get all the 17-18-year-olds to register to vote and the guys old enough would sign up for selective service. Since it was a way to get out of class it was a guarantee that almost everyone old enough was in one of those lines.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I remember when I was in high school (1988-1991) the school I went to in Florida would get all the 17-18-year-olds to register to vote and the guys old enough would sign up for selective service. Since it was a way to get out of class it was a guarantee that almost everyone old enough was in one of those lines.

I signed up through school in FL as well.

Message 7 of 10
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In the past the US Selective Service used to keep a notice and cards for sign up in the USPS. Saw it every time I entered the post office. Now that this thread has appeared (raised my conscience level of awareness) I don't see the notice or sign up cards.

Back in time the Selective Service would run reminder ads (haven't seen any for a long long time).

The failure to report also slid by me as I did not know about the holds the Federal Government put on many items if you hadn't signed up. Amazed!

Yep, those that know of it remember it from the post office years ago (80's).  

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I grew up with a mother whose father and brother served. The day I turned 18 my grandma sent me to the post office. 

Message 9 of 10
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

I did it when I was 18. Family, friends and school reminded us as Juniors and Seniors in school. I hear ads for it all the time on the radio. It is still a requirement. Last I heard, there was a cry to end it, never will happen. But getting females to sign up (equality and all) gained some traction but fell off the map again. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.