cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I make Youtube videos that give personal finance advice?

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

Should I make Youtube videos that give personal finance advice?

I've had interest in attempting this for the last year or so now. Personal finance is something I'd consider to be a "hobby"... I have a lot of fun with it, I became very seriously interested in it when I was 17-18. I feel as a 21 year old kid with no debt, contributes heavily to their TSP, $20k in liquid savings and rising monthly, frugal spending habits.. who started out at 18 when he moved out of his parent's house two weeks after getting fired from his job, no help from anyone... no "small loan of a million dollars" was given to me.. I worked two jobs for a year straight with only major holidays off because saving is very important to me, I know have one job, however I continuously work overtime if nothing crazy is going on, I don't go 7 days a week like previous, but I believe in doing overtime now so I have the potential to sit back as I get olderI feel as if people could potentially relate to myself very easily and that I also have the potential to help a lot of people! I have so many great ideas... but I feel as if there is so many youtubers that already make all the videos that I would want to make... opinions?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I make Youtube videos that give personal finance advice?

Go for it! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@800who wrote:

I've had interest in attempting this for the last year or so now. Personal finance is something I'd consider to be a "hobby"... I have a lot of fun with it, I became very seriously interested in it when I was 17-18. I feel as a 21 year old kid with no debt, contributes heavily to their TSP, $20k in liquid savings and rising monthly, frugal spending habits.. who started out at 18 when he moved out of his parent's house two weeks after getting fired from his job, no help from anyone... no "small loan of a million dollars" was given to me.. I worked two jobs for a year straight with only major holidays off because saving is very important to me, I know have one job, however I continuously work overtime if nothing crazy is going on, I don't go 7 days a week like previous, but I believe in doing overtime now so I have the potential to sit back as I get olderI feel as if people could potentially relate to myself very easily and that I also have the potential to help a lot of people! I have so many great ideas... but I feel as if there is so many youtubers that already make all the videos that I would want to make... opinions?

This will ultimately be up to you, but if it were me...I would not. If it's something you want to do for yourself and you don't care if another living soul ever sees you, go right ahead and do it. If your hope is to break through and change people's lives beyond your immediate friends/family and a few random people here and there, keep reading.

Youtube, and really, most of the Internet, has become a trainwreck of countless people who think they have great ideas to share with the world and think they can change the world, be an influencer, and/or make a difference in someone's lives. The thing is, with things like Youtube, it's not what you know or your background, it's all in how you present to the audience, and often that's not even skill but rather something inherent about your appearance, mannerisms, or just plain dumb luck.

There's literally tens of thousands of people with Youtube channels who play games better than Pewdiepie, know games better than Pewdiepie, and communicate more eloquantly than Pewdiepie, but yet -- something about his style, not his knowledge, appealed to enough people to propel him above his peers. This happens across all genres, too. The world's leading make-up artist could have a series of make-up tutorials on Youtube and if they're presented factually and without much flare, they'd have less viewers than a 19-year old overly-made-up woman showing entirely too much cleavage and intentionally talking like a Valley Girl who was dropped on her blonde head far too many times.

My point is that no matter how great you think your story is or how much you want to influence others, unless you have some schtick that sets you apart, the world isn't going to listen. Even then, most of them aren't so much after what you have to say so much as how you say it. They're there to be entertained, not educated.

Message 3 of 16
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

There are literally 100s of channels that do the same thing.

That said, you should analyze your reasons for doing it. If it's to 'get famous' then don't bother. If it's to help, then I guess go for it and see if it comes to something... just don't expect to make a bunch of money off of it.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, seems like a lot of work for little reward. 

Maybe I'm just old, but when I'm looking for advice on something as important as financial matters, YouTube and an amateur (and I don't say that to be mean) are not my first choice. Now, if I need to replace the cabin air filter on my car, I might look up a video on how to do it the first time and give it a shot. 

Message 5 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You're 21. Go out, have a beer.  Watch a movie or something 

It's great you learned a few things about finances, but dont preach it. Apply it to yourself and move on. If someone  asks you a question, answer it 

People in general don't want anyone talking to them about money, whether they need it or not, always feels a bit on a scammy side of things when it's not initiated by them. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If making videos about personal finance will bring you enjoyment, and you don't care whether you get 10 views or 10 million, by all means go for it.

It sounds like you are doing better than most were at 21, you have a solid head on your shoulders. But you still have a lot to learn, a lot of life experience to gain.

I guess it all depends on what kind of videos you want to make. Stick to things you have experience with. For example sounds like you could do some good stuff on living frugally. Just don't try to be an authority in areas you lack experience and are still figuring out yourself. That never goes over very well, people can see through it and won't take you seriously. You can study and research things, but you have a lot more credibility when you've actually lived it.

Keep doing what you're doing, the experience and wisdom will come, just takes time. Best of luck, and have fun!
Message 7 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I like to write about my investments occasionally. I enjoy interacting with readers and getting their input on my ideas. I make a little money as a royalty (not much), but the real value is in examining and refining my ideas until I can explain them clearly with precise math and logic (rather than "gut"). I also benefit from listening to counterarguments.

I like what I do, but I'm not sure I'd make personal finance videos. What you would be doing would be different in quite a few ways:

1. I use what is obviously a pseudonym, and it's one that doesn't reveal much about me.

2. It's entirely through typed words, not video.

3. It's mostly about external subjects, often a stock or industry where readers have a shared interest, and not my personal life.

One word of warning...if you or one commenter discuss politics even vaguely (like talking about a tax code change)...understand that angry, weird, and nonsensical comments may derail the discussion of your video's content.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 16
800who
Regular Contributor

I appreciate the honesty! I guess I was just looking for a hobby and it's one of the things I'm passionate about and enjoy talking about... I'm saying I'm an expert.. my big point in the OP is that I'm a 21 year old who came from nothing with no help and I'm doing fine financially, compared to the stereotypical 21 year old... my point is that it's more realistic.. "if this guy can do it so can I" type attitude,

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that you would definitely have your work cut out for you. For starters Finances is boring, so you would have to do something to make it interesting/fun to that audience. TBH, most people watching youtube aren't interested in saving Money or investing. The People who are serious about it go to professionals with a degree in that field. 

And by you not haveing any " professional experience" in that field to back up what you're saying, I feel you would get constant criticism. 

If you like Finance that much, maybe do that as a career. If you really want to do this perhaps a blog would be a better place to start.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.