Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shred Cash Register Receipt Tapes?

tag
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Shred Cash Register Receipt Tapes?

We are having a discussion in this house concerning cash register tapes.  IMO they need to be shredded because the last 4 digits of the credit card are always on the tape.  I have been the victim of identify theft on more than one occasion, so perhaps I am over cautious.  Just can't get it out of my head that these items can just be thrown into the trash without any possibility of misuse.  What say you?

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shred Cash Register Receipt Tapes?

I shread all my credit card receipts for that exact same reason.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The sad truth is that credit card info is regularly sold on the black market.  Which means anyone who has the means to decipher the middle 8 digits would also know of this and is more likely to shift their efforts that way.  Real identity theft needs a social security number which are also sold.  But first person risk can be significantly lowered by shredding docs and never giving out their ssn unless absolutely necessary to minimize the number of times it routinely crosses someones eyeballs vs being bunched up in some spreadsheet of hundreds of thousands.  So that said, as far as shredding receipts, I think it's unnecessary.  But if ones feels like it, by all means go for it.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We keep a shred pile at work and home.  We shred all prepravals we get inthe mail. Reciepts we tend to keep for years and then shred a whole load  of records biz and personal once they are over 7 years old.  We have had to come up with trvial records before that were years old 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think a good rule of thumb would be to keep cash register receipt tapes only as long as you're within the window of time in which you can return something (if that's an option), or as long as is necessary to verify that the transaction has processed properly into your credit card or checking account. Aside from any security issues, those little pieces of paper can build up in a most astonishing fashion!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why I love Walmart Pay. All digital and nothing to loose. I have my receipt if I need to return sonething and nothing for someone else to get ahold of. I wish every store offered something similar.

Message 6 of 10
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I also shred receipts of all kinds.  If it has my name and any personal information on it, I shred it.  Same goes for mailers that I receive, from companies  I do business with, as well as marketing stuff from other companies.  For me, it's a "better safe than sorry" issue.  Yes, information is available on the black market.  That information has to come from somewhere, and it could be something innocent.   Why chance it? 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not all the time, but majority of the time....I take a pen and cross out my name or last 4 digits on my reciepts before tearing it up and throwing it in the trash can. I don't have a shredder lol. 

Message 8 of 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I've been known to shred then burn. And for cutting cards up and throwing a few pieces away here and there, including different cities. If anyone can't figure my information out after all that they are way smarter than me.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bizarre habits from my angle.  I don't even lock my doors at home (and I've lived in some pretty rough neighborhoods in the past).  Never locked my car, ever.  Sometimes I left my key in the car, too.  Once left my garage door open during a 12 day vacation -- nothing stolen.  Once lost a wallet at a bar in my 20s with $500 in cash and credit cards and didn't even cancel those cards.  6 weeks later someone tracked me down and returned it all.  Once lost 10 $20 bills in the wind outside of Target and someone turned 9 of them in and security tracked me down from video footage while I was still in the store to let me know (I didn't know they fell out of my pocket).

I don't shred anything.  Card expires I just throw it away.  Never had identity theft (even when I had great FICO scores).  Never had anything stolen.  Only time I ever used insurance in my life was when a tree fell on my neighbor's car from my property.  Never used my health insurance or car insurance or credit card extended warranty.

People do say I am really lucky but for me it's more about efficiency.  Taking time to mitgate risk isn't worth it if those risks are crazy low to begin with.  I'd rather save those hours of shredding to do something I like doing.

I should mention that my parents are the same way.  I could go to mom's house right now and her door would be unlocked.  Dad's too.  They never had issues with any negative outcomes, either.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.