Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing the back of your cards

tag
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

Re: Signing the back of your cards

^ Same as lunch. I don't sign, I just put "C.I.D." or "See ID". Rarely do I get asked for ID though.
EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 11 of 21
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

The darn USPS always makes me sign my CCs.

Message 12 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I have to sign my cards or the majority of merchants where I live will refuse to accept them. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 21
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@Exonumist wrote:

Lol I sign all of them. It's part of my routine when I get a new card. Plus I refuse to show id to cashiers unless it's an age restricted purchase. 

This is dumb, Seriously... I'd rather have it mandated to show your ID to verify, I worked retail for 2 1/2 years, 1 year was Loss Prevention and 1/2 was as a cashier. We had so many people attempting to use another persons credit card and had it not been for us asking for an ID, They probably would have gotten away with it.

But please, If you find a store that allows me to buy electronics without an ID, Feel free to PM me your info so I can go take your credit card and go on a shopping spree.

Message 14 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

RushXTC wrote:

Exonumist wrote:

Lol I sign all of them. It's part of my routine when I get a new card. Plus I refuse to show id to cashiers unless it's an age restricted purchase

This is dumb, Seriously... I'd rather have it mandated to show your ID to verify, I worked retail for 2 1/2 years, 1 year was Loss Prevention and 1/2 was as a cashier. We had so many people attempting to use another persons credit card and had it not been for us asking for an ID, They probably would have gotten away with it.

But please, If you find a store that allows me to buy electronics without an ID, Feel free to PM me your info so I can go take your credit card and go on a shopping spree.

This is exactly why the USA should be using chip + PIN, like the rest of the civilized world, already.  But, since it is costly and time-consuming for the country to update its ancient technology, people need to be more careful with their credit cards.  

But I don't want to show my ID every time I make a purchase either.  I have a job that requires me to be inconspicuous.  I'm not going to give a ton of sensitive personal information on a card to some random cashier.  I also want to be in and out of any establishment as fast as possible.  I don't want to get into an argument with someone because my card doesn't have a signature, my card says "see id", my id doesn't have a signature, or anything similar.  I am going to deal with the predicament that my USA signature card put me in by signing the card, avoiding the trouble and attention, and being a bit more careful with my credit cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 15 of 21
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I have never signed a CC or Debit card and never will, never had a problem.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 16 of 21
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Might be unrelated, but I noticed more merchants asking for the last four of the card.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 21
Startome
Regular Contributor

I sign them at random, but I can't even remember one time someone has looked at the back of my card. I should write Please Check ID and see how many actually ask lol.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 18 of 21
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@CashOnDelivery wrote:

Might be unrelated, but I noticed more merchants asking for the last four of the card.

Reason being is because half the time fraud is going on, The card will be legit, With the person commiting the frauds name and real card, But the strip belongs to another card.

When I was a cashier, I had this happen to me.. The guy had like 20 credit cards... I was shocked. I asked to see the card, we argued for a bit and I called him out on it, He threw me another card and took off running lol.

Message 19 of 21
totallymytravis
New Contributor

That is true. Most frauders do that. We have a corporate card at work but there are only a small group of managers who have them. Often we go pick up orders, catering, etc with them and once I was asked for my ID. I told them it was a corporate card the manager came and no dice. Had to put it on my CC then wait for a reimbursement 30 days later and my statment to cut which bumped my UTL up by a few %age points since it was a hefty purchace. 

On a personal note, I get terribly offended when asked for my ID. Except the above situation, 99% of the time I am using my card and cant help to think they are asking me becuase they think I am suspect. Really pisses me off when they dont bother asking the person who was in front of me in line for their ID for a similar charge.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.