Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Security Administration

tag
spydergto
Regular Contributor

Social Security Administration

Hello!

My peoples! So on a whim i decided i wanted to check what my current expected SS income might be. its a bit early ive got less than 30 years left till then. But when trying to sign up i could not for the life of me get their system to accept my information. SO i decided to call in, the lady kept asking me if i had any blocks and not understand what she meant, she told me not in these exact words she insisted they check data for public record checks against credit reports. That they pull reports in order to verify who i am ! I WAS SHOCKED, i asked her why they needed to pull my credit profiles in order to verify who i am when companies like LexusNexus and that other one i forgotted, sounds like Abraxus or whatever. She insisted it was not a credit pull but OBVIOUSLY IT IS, then i asked hard pull or soft pull and she could not tell me!

then i asked why a credit pull from Equifax / Experian / Transunion when they could just partner with Lexus Nexus and get the public record data themself directly? she had no answers other than to insist i was wrong and that she would not be able to help me set up my online account with SSA further until i unlocked my credit profiles which im in the garden permantly and laughed and giggled and said no f*&!king way lady.. 

So im not sure if this is a question so much as a rant, .. But does anyone know if SSA account creation is a HP or SP ? 

any why TF does the federal guberment SSA need to pull my credit?

Ex 750 10/22/2013 Eq 651 11/09/2013 TU 721 12/9/2013

5/14/14 Equifax – 673 Experian – 744 Transunion – 722

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Social Security Administration

@spydergto have had several connections with the Social Security Administration including phone, email and in person. At no time did they ever broach the subject of credit checks and the like.

Now times seem to change frequently so I could be out of date but___???
Message 2 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Relax, it's a SP.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios When did Social Security start doing credit checks? Never ran into it and I have had many contacts with them?

Message 4 of 11
spydergto
Regular Contributor

ha! you say that but, you see i had to pay roughly 11$ every time to lock and unlock my credit profile. Im not paying 11$ to unlock it so they can soft pull it , they can pay for it. Mine's not free , i've been locking and unlocking my credit profiles for years.  I dont know when they started i just kinda wanted to check in and see where i was, i havent recieved that old mailer in quite a while.

And , if it is a SOFT pull why are my LOCKED credit profiles not allowing me to go further with acount creation, credit karma and credit sesame have no issues pulling soft pulls against me while my profiles remain locked?

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They are not checking credit, SP is used for verification purposes, same way banks do it when opening depository accounts.
CMS and IRS do them also.

I got EX SP from CMS not too long ago during background check for credentialing and research purposes.

Message 6 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Well OP, that's what they need to do.
If you're not willing to unlock, go to the office in person.
Also, your lock/freeze is what they were referring to as a "block".
They want to verify it's really you before giving you confidential information.
In addition, freezes are free now, so you may want to look into that.
Good luck
Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
Well OP, that's what they need to do.
If you're not willing to unlock, go to the office in person.
Also, your lock/freeze is what they were referring to as a "block".
They want to verify it's really you before giving you confidential information.
In addition, freezes are free now, so you may want to look into that.
Good luck

This ^^^^^^^^

Also, LexisNexis is not reliable as a definitive source of truth.  The OP should be glad that the SSA does not accept them as such. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
spydergto
Regular Contributor

Yea well every time i call they trying to charge me 11$ , F them .. lexus nexus question how does one dispute their information and gain a copy of it ? also im not wasting my time going into ssa the lines there are ridiculous .. 

Message 9 of 11
iv
Valued Contributor

@spydergto wrote:

lexus nexus question how does one dispute their information and gain a copy of it ?

Here:

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com

And for many of the other CRAs, check out the CFPB list, here:

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_consumer-reporting-companies-list.pdf

(SSA uses Equifax as an "Identity Services Provider", not technically a credit check.  It can include info from your Equifax report, and other sources.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.