Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone tried to brute my Uber

tag
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Someone tried to brute my Uber

Got an email for a password reset request. Legit sender/links. Not sure why someone trying to brute force the password would click the forgot password link when they don't have access to the email.

Uber accounts seem to be grossly insecure though, no questions asked just enter new password from email link and you're done.

Went ahead and increased the character length/complexity threefold and removed my saved card for good measure. Glad they didn't "get in" but not happy with how lax Uber's security is.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone tried to brute my Uber

Someone out there named "Jay" has my email address registered for their Uber account.  I had to use another email to sign up for Uber.  Whenever I try to get it back, I need the code sent to Jay's phone which obviously I can't get.  This tells me they have no email verification process.  You can sign up with anyone's email address as long as it was never previously registered.  There really isn't a customer service number to call and all known attempts to use my email of 20+ years have been exhausted.  I gave up.

Message 2 of 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

This just happened to me the other day. I did the same as you.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got the same email yesterday morning.

i added the 2-step authorization to my account so i will have to enter the code texted to me every time i log in the app.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i got the same email yesterday morning.

i added the 2-step authorization to my account so i will have to enter the code texted to me every time i log in the app.

Same here. I did that long ago and it may be good that I did. I last used Uber four years ago but recently I got several texts for code verification for Uber. I was lucky because the card assigned to that account had been replaced and that one was deactivated, but I shut down the Uber account altogether because of it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.