Did you mean: 

Sony ps5 or new Xbox for you all?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sony ps5 or new Xbox for you all?

@iced wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I might get around to opening my series x today. Mainly to see if FedEx damaged it when they dropped it over my fence. 

I found it amusing that Sony's president admitted that the PS5 can't do full 4k out of the box. They felt there wasn't enough interest, so it's only upconverting 1080. The hardware can do it, they just need to send a software update to turn it on. Lol

Considering this time last week my primary console was a PS2 and my 1080 TV is approaching 8 years old, the PS5 is quite the visual upgrade for me, 4K or not.

Still trying to figure out how to import my old PS1/PS2 games over, or if I'm stuck keeping both consoles.

Unfortunately there is currently no backwards compatibility besides with the majority of the PS4 games. Kind of a stupid decision on their part since the hardware can definitely emulate PS1 and PS2 easily (and probably PS3 as well honestly). 

Message 31 of 79
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

I might get around to opening my series x today. Mainly to see if FedEx damaged it when they dropped it over my fence. 

I found it amusing that Sony's president admitted that the PS5 can't do full 4k out of the box. They felt there wasn't enough interest, so it's only upconverting 1080. The hardware can do it, they just need to send a software update to turn it on. Lol

Considering this time last week my primary console was a PS2 and my 1080 TV is approaching 8 years old, the PS5 is quite the visual upgrade for me, 4K or not.

Still trying to figure out how to import my old PS1/PS2 games over, or if I'm stuck keeping both consoles.

Unfortunately there is currently no backwards compatibility besides with the majority of the PS4 games. Kind of a stupid decision on their part since the hardware can definitely emulate PS1 and PS2 easily (and probably PS3 as well honestly). 

Honestly I'd be fine with re-purchasing them for download on to the SSD even if I can't use my original discs, but seems I can't even do that for all of them. Did spot FF7/8  on the PS store but some of my old titles were nowhere to be found.

Message 32 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

Honestly I'd be fine with re-purchasing them for download on to the SSD even if I can't use my original discs, but seems I can't even do that for all of them. Did spot FF7/8  on the PS store but some of my old titles were nowhere to be found.

I read an article where Sony basically said they can't see why anyone would want to play old games on modern consoles because they look like garbage so I'm not holding out hope that they bring full backwards compatibility. It's annoying but I've got a desktop that can emulate PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3 pretty dang well and I own a PS3 super slim which can play PS1 titles (but sadly not PS2). 

Message 33 of 79
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

I read an article where Sony basically said they can't see why anyone would want to play old games on modern consoles because they look like garbage so I'm not holding out hope that they bring full backwards compatibility. It's annoying but I've got a desktop that can emulate PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3 pretty dang well and I own a PS3 super slim which can play PS1 titles (but sadly not PS2). 

Sony must think we all want to keep 10 devices hooked up to our TV. I'm basically willing to throw money at them by providing a download, but maybe there's not enough me's out there for them to bother.

Unfortunately, consoles don't last forever. My TG-CD needs a new ROM card and my Sega CD is starting to be hit and miss on loading inserted discs so my ability to play those games on original media is just about over. If Sony thinks PS2 games look like garbage, they should see what Lunar or Ys look like on modern TVs...

Message 34 of 79
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Huh? I have heard nothing about the PS5 being unable to do 4K out of the box. In fact the reviews I have seen compare it very favorably to the Series X, with single digit percentages of better graphics performance on the Series X and them trading blows elsewhere. 

I edited. Turned out the article I read had a typo. It can't do 1440 natively. 

Message 35 of 79
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Love my PS5.. Got in last sunday.. Also managed to get another one as well pure luck and actually gave it to a fellow MF person that i am friends with in real life for cost where-as could of made 1k+ on ebay.. Demon souls is amazing also they are remaking nioh 1/2 for 4k and 120 frames.  Enjoy challenging games even if i have beat them before

Message 36 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally i'd wait before prices drop and there's more inventory, black ops is $69.99 for the standard for PS5 which is insane. 

its better to wait for used games and when there is a large selection of games. 

and these days most major games are on PC and are cross-play. 

Message 37 of 79
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Love my PS5.. Got in last sunday.. Also managed to get another one as well pure luck and actually gave it to a fellow MF person that i am friends with in real life for cost where-as could of made 1k+ on ebay.. Demon souls is amazing also they are remaking nioh 1/2 for 4k and 120 frames.  Enjoy challenging games even if i have beat them before

No way- you snagged 2

Two PS5s?  Is  anyone experiencing  freezing or glitches with either  system?  We are an Xbox family and have tried to pre order.

Message 38 of 79
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

No way- you snagged 2

Two PS5s?  Is  anyone experiencing  freezing or glitches with either  system?  We are an Xbox family and have tried to pre order.

Ya got one from target 9/16 pure luck as wasnt suppose to go live until next day was going to bookmark page and there it was and other one was from sony direct once again just pure luck..  Walmart/Target/Best Buy basically impossible as their sites crash due to load and bots ordering.

With regards to crashing have had one crash so far on ps5.   They were rushing to get out systems so both ps5/xbox will get firmware updates, etc that will address these issues

Message 39 of 79
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally i'd wait before prices drop and there's more inventory, black ops is $69.99 for the standard for PS5 which is insane. 

its better to wait for used games and when there is a large selection of games. 

and these days most major games are on PC and are cross-play. 

One benefit Xbox has is their play anywhere program. Buy a supported digital game and you can play it on pc or Xbox with play history accessible on both. 

Message 40 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.