Did you mean: 

Sony ps5 or new Xbox for you all?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Sony ps5 or new Xbox for you all?

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Love my PS5.. Got in last sunday.. Also managed to get another one as well pure luck and actually gave it to a fellow MF person that i am friends with in real life for cost where-as could of made 1k+ on ebay.. Demon souls is amazing also they are remaking nioh 1/2 for 4k and 120 frames.  Enjoy challenging games even if i have beat them before

No way- you snagged 2

Two PS5s?  Is  anyone experiencing  freezing or glitches with either  system?  We are an Xbox family and have tried to pre order.

Lots of reports of ps5's crashing. My series x has been running like a Hamp. Had a friend who got a series x with bad power and died. 

Message 41 of 79
iced
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Love my PS5.. Got in last sunday.. Also managed to get another one as well pure luck and actually gave it to a fellow MF person that i am friends with in real life for cost where-as could of made 1k+ on ebay.. Demon souls is amazing also they are remaking nioh 1/2 for 4k and 120 frames.  Enjoy challenging games even if i have beat them before

No way- you snagged 2

Two PS5s?  Is  anyone experiencing  freezing or glitches with either  system?  We are an Xbox family and have tried to pre order.

Ya got one from target 9/16 pure luck as wasnt suppose to go live until next day was going to bookmark page and there it was and other one was from sony direct once again just pure luck..  Walmart/Target/Best Buy basically impossible as their sites crash due to load and bots ordering.

With regards to crashing have had one crash so far on ps5.   They were rushing to get out systems so both ps5/xbox will get firmware updates, etc that will address these issues

No crashes on my PS5 yet, though I've also not played any PS5 games on it yet (just PS4 ones for now).

Did turn on by itself this morning from sleep mode for about 3 minutes then turned back to sleep mode (amber lights went blue and white then back to amber). My guess is an update was applied or something.

Message 42 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

After seeing Gamers Nexus rip into the PS5 design, I'm a bit concerned about longevity for the DDR modules and will be skipping this first generation entirely. My room gets into the upper 80s in the summer which means the DDR will be running dangerously hot and I'm not going to void my warranty to enhance airflow. 

Shame on Sony for such a shoddy design. 

https://youtu.be/MmggkW6usmQ

The Series X isn't enough of a performance improvement for me to buy one until my One X kicks the bucket. I'm also not too keen on paying $70 for next generation games. For now I'm going to stick with my One X and PS4 Pro and wait for Sony to address their thermal design before I get a PS5. 

Message 43 of 79
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Walmart had another online 

order event at 9 pm EST last night for the PS5 and XbX. The site overloaded and kicked me out 4 times.  I have told my son that we will have wait post holiday to get the new XbX.  I ain't gonna go the reseller route.

Message 44 of 79
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

After seeing Gamers Nexus rip into the PS5 design, I'm a bit concerned about longevity for the DDR modules and will be skipping this first generation entirely. My room gets into the upper 80s in the summer which means the DDR will be running dangerously hot and I'm not going to void my warranty to enhance airflow. 

The Series X isn't enough of a performance improvement for me to buy one until my One X kicks the bucket. I'm also not too keen on paying $70 for next generation games. For now I'm going to stick with my One X and PS4 Pro and wait for Sony to address their thermal design before I get a PS5. 

This was something that I was concerned with because it didnt look like it had good airflow or adequate ventilation. While Sony denied it, my friend who used to work in their gaming division confirmed they were having overheating issues. It was why they delayed showing it off, in case something needed to be changed. They say it's fixed, but I'll sit back and see what happens. Don't want to get caught up in another RRoD or YLoD debacle. 

Message 45 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This was something that I was concerned with because it didnt look like it had good airflow or adequate ventilation. While Sony denied it, my friend who used to work in their gaming division confirmed they were having overheating issues. It was why they delayed showing it off, in case something needed to be changed. They say it's fixed, but I'll sit back and see what happens. Don't want to get caught up in another RRoD or YLoD debacle. 

I mean it's ridiculous looking at how they designed it. They could have run the system much cooler if they just added some ventilation holes to the plastic and put in $5 worth of copper around the memory modules. The CPU is running quite cool which is impressive but the problem with memory running hot is its going to have strange glitches that start small and worsen over time before the graphics artifacts become apparent. It wouldn't surprise me if some of these people having strange issues with their consoles are already looking at problems from overheating RAM causing errors. 

Message 46 of 79
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

All speculation about ps5 or for that matter the new Xbox..  Had launch day ps4 and lasted me till the ps5 and people were all worried about bricked consoles and various other issues and guess what it never happened at least to me w/ps4.  Its only 499 dollars so lets say it only last me a year that is still cheap entertainment, but i suspect it will last alot longer than that.  I have no regrets at all about the purchase and I believe sony is outselling xbox about 10 to 1.   Xbox demand isnt there imho vs. people wanting the ps5.  Its each others money and do what makes you all happy.  People are usually either die hard PS fans or diehard Xbox fans and trash each other as they each have their exclusive titles and what not.  Bottom line enjoy what makes you happy and go with that system

With the above stated no really awesome game for each console yet as usually lakes a few years to have exclusives and learn how to code for each system to max out the performance/graphics so if holding off makes one feel better you aren't missing alot yet if you are afraid problems will arise with either console.

Message 47 of 79
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

All speculation about ps5 or for that matter the new Xbox..  Had launch day ps4 and lasted me till the ps5 and people were all worried about bricked consoles and various other issues and guess what it never happened at least to me w/ps4.  Its only 499 dollars so lets say it only last me a year that is still cheap entertainment, but i suspect it will last alot longer than that.  I have no regrets at all about the purchase and I believe sony is outselling xbox about 10 to 1.   Xbox demand isnt there imho vs. people wanting the ps5.  Its each others money and do what makes you all happy.  People are usually either die hard PS fans or diehard Xbox fans and trash each other as they each have their exclusive titles and what not.  Bottom line enjoy what makes you happy and go with that system

With the above stated non really awesome game for each console yet as usually tkaes a few yaers to have exclusives and learn how to code for each system to max out the preformance/graphics so if holding off makes one feel better you aren't missing alot yet if you are afraid problems will arise with either console.

While it may be cheap entertainment for some, for others, $500 is half their rent. Couple that with a shortage that could last 6 months and people should be cautious as they won't be able to just hop online or waltz into a best buy for a replacement. This is literally the only console I haven't bought on launch day because I have doubts in its engineering. I personally know 3 people with failures on 2 ps5s and an Xbox. I was even hesitant about my series x, but that one fell in my lap, so why not.

Regardless of which camp you sit in, the list of hardware and software issues are big and this may be a time to wait for a hardware revision on both. Thus far for my friends, there's no turn around time for the ps5 repairs while the Xbox is being replaced in 10-14 days. None of them worked longer than a few hours before failure. I've experienced both the RRoD and the YLoD, but the consoles were in their 3rd and 4th years of use respectively so it didn't bother me much, but I sure would be ticked if either had died in the first couple of hours. 

Message 48 of 79
iced
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

While it may be cheap entertainment for some, for others, $500 is half their rent. Couple that with a shortage that could last 6 months and people should be cautious as they won't be able to just hop online or waltz into a best buy for a replacement. This is literally the only console I haven't bought on launch day because I have doubts in its engineering. I personally know 3 people with failures on 2 ps5s and an Xbox. I was even hesitant about my series x, but that one fell in my lap, so why not.

Regardless of which camp you sit in, the list of hardware and software issues are big and this may be a time to wait for a hardware revision on both. Thus far for my friends, there's no turn around time for the ps5 repairs while the Xbox is being replaced in 10-14 days. None of them worked longer than a few hours before failure. I've experienced both the RRoD and the YLoD, but the consoles were in their 3rd and 4th years of use respectively so it didn't bother me much, but I sure would be ticked if either had died in the first couple of hours. 

I also remember similar sentiments around the PS2 launch, and yet my launch date PS2 still works 20 years later. My 360 did eventually get the red ring o' death, but it took 10 years of use to get there. There might be bad batches on the PS5 too, but it seems on the whole to be reliable enough ... so far. If it isn't, there'll likely end up being class-action lawsuits, heavy negative PR, or both.

I don't see how the reliability and shortages relate. If someone wants to play PS5 games, they're not likely to wait for any residual problems to be resolved in later revisions -- they want to play now. To them, playing an unreliable console is better than playing on no console. 

Message 49 of 79
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I caved and decided to order a new Xbox Series X this morning. I should have it in hand on Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to playing some games I've missed out on this year. 

On a side note, It's just absolutely crazy what $500 gets you now adays but such is the progression of technology. 

Message 50 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.