Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup looks nice

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sony’s 2021 TV lineup looks nice

Its all about aesthetics to me and of course a great picture and LG takes it and as echoed sony gets their screens from LG.  Just mad I just bought my TV not more then two months ago and got to move it and remount that among my other 2 flat screen in new house i am having built :/.  One nice thing is having them put plugs/ethernot in everyone room on wall so dont at least have to do it after fact, etc.

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never wall mounted a TV so number 1 definitely doesn't apply to me. I prefer Sony's picture quality above any other brand. 

As for the bandwidth argument, I can tell you that I have a service that pushes 80Mbps Blu-ray rips to my Shield running Kodi without skipping a beat about 95% of the time and I instituted a 300MB buffer to cover the other 5%. Our Comcast almost never hits the 1000 (940 after overhead)/35 I pay for but it does at least 800/30 all day long (I think it's probably a router issue because we aren't on a busy node and with 31 downstream channels plus OFDM bandwidth shouldn't be an issue but there's always someone using data and it hasn't bothered me enough to troubleshoot it). I can't imagine the demand for this kind of service is going to be enough to convince people to give up their Roku or Apple TV for Google TV unless they are specifically looking to use this service. I mean many people don't ever use the smart features built into their TVs, I know I certainly don't. Impact to ISPs shouldn't be all that much really. 

The demand is lower today, which is why oversubscription works as well as it does now, but at significantly higher demand it won't. The other end of this is business -- why spend the money to build out a higher-quality service if there's not much demand for it?

Netflix has waded into the 4K waters, but they charge a premium for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney+ follows suit in the next 12 months. Even then, providers want to be careful about breaking that beautiful oversubscription balance for the lower tiers.

Demand won't go up much is my point. Core would be a niche service between the high cost of entry (most families aren't spending $1300+ on a TV) and the fact that most people use a streaming box rather than their TV's built in stuff. I don't think it will be a problem unless Netflix turns around and says "hey, let's do that too," which seems unlikely because of the bandwidth cost to do so. 

Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like my design aesthetic. If it's functional, I don't really care that it's ugly. I mean I have my consoles laid out on those folding dinner trays because they take up less space while still providing adequate ventilation. I do need a better stand for my TV though. It's way above eye level which works when I recline in my chair but when I'm sitting up, not even the Sony logo at the bottom is eye  level, much less the center of the TV lol. 

To put the opposite end of this insanity into perspective:

I spent the better part of 6 months hunting for an entertainment console that aesthetically matched the TV and PS5 while complimenting the other furniture and hardwood floor in the room. If the wood color was a bit off or the styling didn't align with the other pieces, it was out. If it was 3" too wide or 3" too narrow, it was out.

Finally found a piece that fit the bill, and another that was close but too wide.

That's wild. I could never be that finicky, it's bad enough being as indecisive as I am!

Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Its all about aesthetics to me and of course a great picture and LG takes it and as echoed sony gets their screens from LG.  Just mad I just bought my TV not more then two months ago and got to move it and remount that among my other 2 flat screen in new house i am having built :/.  One nice thing is having them put plugs/ethernot in everyone room on wall so dont at least have to do it after fact, etc.

LG makes the panel but Sony's image processing is what makes the difference. Sony has the best image processing in the business, nobody else comes close. I am really curious to see how this new AI chip works.

I hate moving so if we move next year I'll put my current 55" X900F up on Craigslist so I don't have to worry about moving it and buy a 2022 2nd gen AI-enhanced model. 

It would definitely be nice to have Ethernet jacks in every room. Since I pay for the internet, the modem and router are in my room, and when we move I will try to get the same setup lol. Seeing how the modem and router are owned by me though, that shouldn't be an issue anyway. 

Message 14 of 35
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Sony has lg make the panel to their specifications which is why it's superior. Lg panels are constantly failing, have burn in, and discoloration. Sony panels rarely have any of those issues. You're more likely to have to replace the main board while the top 2 issues on lg TVs are panel replacement and wifi failure.

Message 15 of 35
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Demand won't go up much is my point. Core would be a niche service between the high cost of entry (most families aren't spending $1300+ on a TV) and the fact that most people use a streaming box rather than their TV's built in stuff. I don't think it will be a problem unless Netflix turns around and says "hey, let's do that too," which seems unlikely because of the bandwidth cost to do so. 

Funny you mention that as I found it so much more convenient to use the built-in TV apps that I've defaulted to using them for all services except HBO Max, and that's because it's not an app on LG yet. The fact it stays loaded in the background is a plus for me, too. I can pause a YouTube video, watch the news for a while, turn off the TV for the day, watch something on a different TV app the next day, then go back to YouTube and it's still right where I paused it in the video. I was not finding that feature on any of my other devices that supported streaming.

Message 16 of 35
iced
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

If they're building the home for you, why not just have them install the mounts as part of the build? Then all you have to do is have the movers drop the TV on the mount and you're good to go.

Message 17 of 35
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Not a wall mount fan myself. I have my TVs on pedistal stands on top of TV/AV cabinets.

Pre-ordered a Sony 65" A90j OLED last week along with a Sanus pedistal stand (the Sony "chicken feet" stands are rather insubstantial and not too stable). The A90j series offers greater brightness than prior generation OLEDs and incorporates novel panel cooling technology. These TVs also include an all new video processor, cognitive XR, for enhanced motion processing.

I have always preferred Sony's video processing for motion handling to other manufacturers, including LG. Less artifacts/blur/ghosting and a more natural appearance to images. Sony is the industry leader in this area. Another negative with LGs latest OLEDs, relative to Sony, is that LG elected not to include panel cooling. While this omission reduces cost, it likely reduces peak brightness potential due to burn in risk - IMO. I don't need greater brightness but, adding cooling to reduce burn in is a plus for OLED panels.

So far no LED or OLED TVs have matched the motion handling of my Panasonic VT60 plasma from 2013. Here's hoping the new Sony resolves Judder issues that some see on the outgoing A9G OLED.

Wish I could wait for Sansung micro LED TVs to become available in 65" at a reasonable cost. Issue has been reducing size of the micro LED to allow 4k in sizes under 100". The transition mini LED technology rolling out with the new 2021 Samsung is still not competitive with OLED black level picture quality.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 18 of 35
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Not a wall mount fan myself. I have my TVs on pedistal stands on top of TV/AV cabinets.

Pre-ordered a Sony 65" A90j OLED last week along with a Sanus pedistal stand (the Sony "chicken feet" stands are rather insubstantial and not too stable). The A90j series offers greater brightness than prior generation OLEDs and incorporates novel panel cooling technology. These TVs also include an all new video processor, cognitive XR, for enhanced motion processing.

I have always preferred Sony's video processing for motion handling to other manufacturers, including LG. Less artifacts/blur/ghosting and a more natural appearance to images. Sony is the industry leader in this area. Another negative with LGs latest OLEDs, relative to Sony, is that LG elected not to include panel cooling. While this omission reduces cost, it likely reduces peak brightness potential due to burn in risk - IMO. I don't need greater brightness but, adding cooling to reduce burn in is a plus for OLED panels.

So far no LED or OLED TVs have matched the motion handling of my Panasonic VT60 plasma from 2013. Here's hoping the new Sony resolves Judder issues that some see on the outgoing A9G OLED.

I can't afford OLED and since the purpose of my fancy TV is partially to play video games at decent quality I would avoid it anyways but I have always preferred Sony because their processing was superior to the rest. No matter what you watch, it always makes it look so much clearer. The upscaling is incredibly, even 480p video content looks amazing. Would I love perfect blacks? Absolutely. But until they exist without burn-in, I won't buy it (new LED technologies look promising, can't remember if mini or micro-LED).

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 19 of 35
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately for me, I am use to the deep black levels on my Panasonic plasma. LEDs (which includes all QLEDs) look washed out to me. I did purchase 5 year GSP from BBY on my OLED which covers burn-in - which is likely to occur. That being said, LEDs don't suffer burn in and are the best choice for sun lit rooms.

It is hard to beat a Samsung Q80T or Q90T for video gaming. These TVs have backlighting with local dimming and incorporate panel layer that dramatically reduces reflections and glare. Admittedly, I recently purchased a Q80T for the lake home. The family room where the TV will go has floor to ceiling windows. Also, wanted a TV with a robust OEM stand that is tall enough for a soundbar to fit under the TV.

Samsung QLED prices are very attractive now with the 2021 model year mini LED panels getting ready to roll out.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.