Did you mean: 

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup looks nice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sony’s 2021 TV lineup looks nice

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Not a wall mount fan myself. I have my TVs on pedistal stands on top of TV/AV cabinets.

Pre-ordered a Sony 65" A90j OLED last week along with a Sanus pedistal stand (the Sony "chicken feet" stands are rather insubstantial and not too stable). The A90j series offers greater brightness than prior generation OLEDs and incorporates novel panel cooling technology. These TVs also include an all new video processor, cognitive XR, for enhanced motion processing.

I have always preferred Sony's video processing for motion handling to other manufacturers, including LG. Less artifacts/blur/ghosting and a more natural appearance to images. Sony is the industry leader in this area. Another negative with LGs latest OLEDs, relative to Sony, is that LG elected not to include panel cooling. While this omission reduces cost, it likely reduces peak brightness potential due to burn in risk - IMO. I don't need greater brightness but, adding cooling to reduce burn in is a plus for OLED panels.

So far no LED or OLED TVs have matched the motion handling of my Panasonic VT60 plasma from 2013. Here's hoping the new Sony resolves Judder issues that some see on the outgoing A9G OLED.

I can't afford OLED and since the purpose of my fancy TV is partially to play video games at decent quality I would avoid it anyways but I have always preferred Sony because their processing was superior to the rest. No matter what you watch, it always makes it look so much clearer. The upscaling is incredibly, even 480p video content looks amazing. Would I love perfect blacks? Absolutely. But until they exist without burn-in, I won't buy it (new LED technologies look promising, can't remember if mini or micro-LED).

Yeah I agree with the OLED cost and burn in issues. Sony has unfortunately fallen behind on gaming features though and Rtings doesn't even have a Sony TV in their gaming recommendation because they have yet to deliver the promised VRR support to the X900H. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Obviously that list is about to get shaken up but the 55" Q80T is pretty compelling for $1200. Rtings actually has the Q80/T as their alternative to OLED best overall 55" TV because the X950H lacks VRR. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Unfortunately for me, I am use to the deep black levels on my Panasonic plasma. LEDs (which includes all QLEDs) look washed out to me. I did purchase 5 year GSP from BBY on my OLED which covers burn-in - which is likely to occur. That being said, LEDs don't suffer burn in and are the best choice for sun lit rooms.

It is hard to beat a Samsung Q80T or Q90T for video gaming. These TVs have backlighting with local dimming and incorporate panel layer that dramatically reduces reflections and glare. Admittedly, I recently purchased a Q80T for the lake home. The family room where the TV will go has floor to ceiling windows. Also, wanted a TV with a robust OEM stand that is tall enough for a soundbar to fit under the TV.

Samsung QLED prices are very attractive now with the 2021 model year mini LED panels getting ready to roll out.

I think it's ridiculous that such an expensive product mandates an expensive extended warranty. Like I was watching Netflix the other night, doing a binge of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, and I realized that it was playing in windowbox with no option to stretch the image. When I got my first LCD TV, a Westinghouse 32" back in 2004 or so, I got memory effect burn in because there was so little HD content and it happened right after my one year warranty expired. Every time I watch old content and can't stretch it (I usually use Kodi that does this automatically), I always think of what happened to that TV. 

The Q80T is a nice set but I've never been a fan of Samsung's exaggerated colors. QLED looks like Sony's vivid mode...

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Demand won't go up much is my point. Core would be a niche service between the high cost of entry (most families aren't spending $1300+ on a TV) and the fact that most people use a streaming box rather than their TV's built in stuff. I don't think it will be a problem unless Netflix turns around and says "hey, let's do that too," which seems unlikely because of the bandwidth cost to do so. 

Funny you mention that as I found it so much more convenient to use the built-in TV apps that I've defaulted to using them for all services except HBO Max, and that's because it's not an app on LG yet. The fact it stays loaded in the background is a plus for me, too. I can pause a YouTube video, watch the news for a while, turn off the TV for the day, watch something on a different TV app the next day, then go back to YouTube and it's still right where I paused it in the video. I was not finding that feature on any of my other devices that supported streaming.

It just depends how much memory the device has and the optimization of the OS that determines whether apps are dumped. My Shield can do that with its 3GB of RAM but good luck doing that with the 1-1.5GB devices like Fire Stick. You just pointed out exactly why it sucks using the TV rather than an external device though, app support. Sony TVs with Android TV have the app support but not the power of an external box and LG and Samsung lack the app support. I don't even have internet configured on my X900F right now because it's such a poor experience compared to my Shield. 

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Sony has lg make the panel to their specifications which is why it's superior. Lg panels are constantly failing, have burn in, and discoloration. Sony panels rarely have any of those issues. You're more likely to have to replace the main board while the top 2 issues on lg TVs are panel replacement and wifi failure.

Here I thought it was only Sony that used crappy WiFi chips. It amazes me that Sony equipped my TV with a 100Mbps Ethernet port and an unstable dual band WiFi chip. Neither of them is up to the task of high bandwidth 4K streaming. 

Message 24 of 35
iced
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Unfortunately for me, I am use to the deep black levels on my Panasonic plasma. LEDs (which includes all QLEDs) look washed out to me. I did purchase 5 year GSP from BBY on my OLED which covers burn-in - which is likely to occur. That being said, LEDs don't suffer burn in and are the best choice for sun lit rooms.

It is hard to beat a Samsung Q80T or Q90T for video gaming. These TVs have backlighting with local dimming and incorporate panel layer that dramatically reduces reflections and glare. Admittedly, I recently purchased a Q80T for the lake home. The family room where the TV will go has floor to ceiling windows. Also, wanted a TV with a robust OEM stand that is tall enough for a soundbar to fit under the TV.

Samsung QLED prices are very attractive now with the 2021 model year mini LED panels getting ready to roll out.

It might be hard to be the Samsungs for gaming, but the LGs do. You've already noted how OLED is going to destroy any non-OLED with black levels, and the LG models are sub-2ms response compared to around 10ms for the Samsungs. The consensus I read online is that the LG OLED lines are pretty much the ideal pairing for a PS5 or XBox console since they also have HDMI 2.1 support. Will Sony make it a competition this year? Time will tell.

I can't speak to burn-in for another 5 years or so, but it sounds like the 2020 and later models have made great strides in minimizing the problem with burn-in on OLED. I think some game developers are also getting a little smarter about not having too many static images up for too long. News channels, not so much.

Also, color me surprised at how many of you still prefer pedestal to wall-mounted. I figured DLP was the last gasp of the days of pedestals and standalones, but seems they're still alive and well after all.

Message 25 of 35
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sony has lg make the panel to their specifications which is why it's superior. Lg panels are constantly failing, have burn in, and discoloration. Sony panels rarely have any of those issues. You're more likely to have to replace the main board while the top 2 issues on lg TVs are panel replacement and wifi failure.

Here I thought it was only Sony that used crappy WiFi chips. It amazes me that Sony equipped my TV with a 100Mbps Ethernet port and an unstable dual band WiFi chip. Neither of them is up to the task of high bandwidth 4K streaming. 

And yet, their unstable chip never needs replacing. Lg and samsung lead in that respect. Some of the cx and bx lg models have to have the main and cables replaced along with the wifi card. When I'm booked for that issue I don't bother showing up for the diag. I just order the parts because it will be quicker and I can return what isn't used after the repair. 

Order of reliable TVs:

1. TCL

2. Sony

3. LG 

4. Samsung 

5. Everyone else

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And yet, their unstable chip never needs replacing. Lg and samsung lead in that respect. Some of the cx and bx lg models have to have the main and cables replaced along with the wifi card. When I'm booked for that issue I don't bother showing up for the diag. I just order the parts because it will be quicker and I can return what isn't used after the repair. 

Order of reliable TVs:

1. TCL

2. Sony

3. LG 

4. Samsung 

5. Everyone else

Kind of surprises me to see TCL at the top when you consider how cheap they are but I'm not surprised that Sony is above LG and Samsung. 

Message 27 of 35
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Order of reliable TVs:

1. TCL

2. Sony

3. LG 

4. Samsung 

5. Everyone else

Kind of surprises me to see TCL at the top when you consider how cheap they are but I'm not surprised that Sony is above LG and Samsung. 

They're the new vizio, back when vizio was making quality for a cheap price. At this point many Vizio repairs are a box of all the tv internals. Doesn't matter what the problem is. Apparently it's cheaper to send all the parts than it is for them to deal with it.

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Order of reliable TVs:

1. TCL

2. Sony

3. LG 

4. Samsung 

5. Everyone else

They're the new vizio, back when vizio was making quality for a cheap price. At this point many Vizio repairs are a box of all the tv internals. Doesn't matter what the problem is. Apparently it's cheaper to send all the parts than it is for them to deal with it.

I never really trusted Vizio as a brand honestly. Maybe it was just the price tag telling me it's too low to be any good but I always stayed away and then I started hearing people say their TVs failed right after their warranty expired. I almost bought a TCL but Sony replaced my X900E with a brand new X900F (they even sent guys out here to remove the old one and install the new one) for a warranty issue and I have been mostly happy with that TV (I still can't get used to the skipping effect that fast response time LCD panels have). I'll keep it until it either dies or we move, whichever comes first. 

Message 29 of 35
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Its all about aesthetics to me and of course a great picture and LG takes it and as echoed sony gets their screens from LG.  Just mad I just bought my TV not more then two months ago and got to move it and remount that among my other 2 flat screen in new house i am having built :/.  One nice thing is having them put plugs/ethernot in everyone room on wall so dont at least have to do it after fact, etc.

If they're building the home for you, why not just have them install the mounts as part of the build? Then all you have to do is have the movers drop the TV on the mount and you're good to go.

Basically everything they build on the house they charge double for..  My new house is going to be a "SMART" house that is about to break ground with doorbell cam, locks controlled by phone if I so choose.  Things like extra outlets and ethernet in each room obviously is a charge which willing to pay.  TV mounts would be one as well if doable and sure it would be double the amount that can be done by me or an installer.  Rather just keep that to myself just like a few other things I will do vs installer.  Kinda like refrig. they actually sell the one I want for about 4k where I can get it from bestbuy or the likes for 3kish also dont want certain things being part of a mortgage.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.