Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spirit Airlines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spirit Airlines

I just acquired VIP status with Spirit much to my surprise. It turns out that status is achieved through miles earned not through miles flown. That means that the 15k bonus from getting the Spirit World MasterCard counts towards achieving status. Just a reminder the status tiers with Spirit are somebody which gives you half a mile for every mile flown, Elite which is achieved  through earning 12k miles within 6 months or by having the Spirit World MasterCard, and finally VIP which is achieved after earning 24K miles in 6 months. I also received a 5K bonus by sitting in a prize seat which makes it more understandable how I earned status so quickly. I know most of you won't care because most people hate Spirit, but for those that either have an open mind to Spirit or like flying Spirit like me I thought I'd share this and a couple of more things...one that with the 30K some odd points I've earned I have booked "free" plus $12 taxes/fees round trip  to Orlando, Minneapolis, LA, and Philadelphia from Houston and still have over 8K points left. Not bad. Also after my last trip to Denver I noticed I received 2 miles for every mile flown. This used to be a VIP perk but I'm not sure if it is anyone. It could have been an oops on their part BUT If it is a perk then it would be huge for earning miles and more free trips. It's not advertised so I'll let you all know.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spirit Airlines

I absolutely love Spirit.  LOVE them.  Flown hundreds of times since they arrived and can not cheer them enough.

Whenever I book a flight I always put it into a spreadsheet along with what the next cheapest airline would be.  Over the hundreds of times I've flown domestic, Spirit has saved me $35,800 so far.

Twice now I've had flights cancelled on me last minute with them (they won't put you on another flight easily) so when that happened I just loaded Kayak and bought whatever flight was next out of that airport -- sometimes my $200 spirit ticket turned into a $700 ticket last minute, but who cares when you've saved almost $40,000.

Small seats?  Don't care.  No free bags?  Don't care.  My "personal item" fits 6 days of clothes for me and that's free.

Also, don't forget if you book Spirit tickets, you can save $35 per trip if you book at the airport versus online.  I live near a Spirit hub and do all my bookings at the airport.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have VIP status? If so, are you earning 2 miles for every mile flown or 1/1? 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually don't because I stopped applying flights to my rewards account years ago.  They used to have VIP status years ago for non-credit card holders and then one day they removed it and made it only for credit card holders so I stopped accumulating miles because they were virtually unredeemable.  If you have the CC the redemption numbers were FAR lower, but I never had the card so no point to it.  Even 100,000 miles was useless when the ticket I wanted to redeem for was a whopping $39 lol.

If they've brougth VIP back for non card holders, I'll start applying flights to the rewards programs again.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know what you mean. I got the credit card just to get the better redemption on my frequent flyer miles. I swear it is the ugliest looking credit card out there. Bank of America has pretty good bankamerideals from time to time so I use the card to get those. Believe it or not, but just by using my card on those it makes it my best Cashback card in terms of percentages on spend.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just acquired VIP status with Spirit much to my surprise. It turns out that status is achieved through miles earned not through miles flown. That means that the 15k bonus from getting the Spirit World MasterCard counts towards achieving status. Just a reminder the status tiers with Spirit are somebody which gives you half a mile for every mile flown, Elite which is achieved  through earning 12k miles within 6 months or by having the Spirit World MasterCard, and finally VIP which is achieved after earning 24K miles in 6 months. I also received a 5K bonus by sitting in a prize seat which makes it more understandable how I earned status so quickly. I know most of you won't care because most people hate Spirit, but for those that either have an open mind to Spirit or like flying Spirit like me I thought I'd share this and a couple of more things...one that with the 30K some odd points I've earned I have booked "free" plus $12 taxes/fees round trip  to Orlando, Minneapolis, LA, and Philadelphia from Houston and still have over 8K points left. Not bad. Also after my last trip to Denver I noticed I received 2 miles for every mile flown. This used to be a VIP perk but I'm not sure if it is anyone. It could have been an oops on their part BUT If it is a perk then it would be huge for earning miles and more free trips. It's not advertised so I'll let you all know.

Didn't think anyone flew Spirit often enough to earn "status" with them (BTW, not a dis on Spirit, but the US domestic airline industry as of late)

What doesthat actually get you with them? Free carry-on? Discounted seat assignments, drinks, snacks?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Didn't think anyone flew Spirit often enough to earn "status" with them (BTW, not a dis on Spirit, but the US domestic airline industry as of late)

What doesthat actually get you with them? Free carry-on? Discounted seat assignments, drinks, snacks?

A 50-50 chance of getting a seat with your ticket

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

10% chance of being on the next viral airlines video?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
10% chance of being on the next viral airlines video?

Hey, it's the Greyhound of the skies!! I'm on a RT with them next weekend. Bought my ticket at the counter, saved $35 and got a free window seat assigned close to the front of the plane!! People like to dis this airline, but if one researches it enough, one can get a RT ticket just about anywhere for $40!!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just flew RT from IAH to MSP and it was only 1/1 miles. I guess it was a mistake the time I got 2/1. I'd like to see it go to 2/1 or even 1.5/1, because right now there is no added benefit for being VIP over Elite which is weird.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.