tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Started the Keto Diet

@Remedios wrote:

I just saw this Smiley Surprised

Congrats on your progress @CreditInspired 

I'm going to join you, minus the keto part. My goal is not to lose weight but to eat better 

There was a period of time where it was imperative I gain about 30lbs, so I took that as do whatever, all day, every day. 

I've ended up with terrible eating habits in the past year and seldom a day goes by that I dont make myself miserable with my food choices.

Thanks Remedios.

I understand having terrible eating habits. I love ice cream and hate vegetables so this has been a learning curve to eat correctly for a healthy lifestyle. Also, I had to re-learn about portion sizes--eating a pint of Haagen Daz at one sitting just wasn't good. Smiley Very Happy

So kudos to you on deciding to create a healthy lifestyle for yourself. Also, years and years ago, I did WeightWatchers. I did enjoy it but Keto works better for me because I can hold myself accountable and I don't have to attend weekly meetings.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 41 of 81
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I've been reading the thread passively for the last month without comment.

Congrats on maintaining the steady progress and maintaining a healthy pace, about 2 lbs per week.  Smiley Happy

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 42 of 81
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

I've been reading the thread passively for the last month without comment.

Congrats on maintaining the steady progress and maintaining a healthy pace, about 2 lbs per week.  Smiley Happy

Thanks Coldfusion. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 43 of 81
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Week 8 - 16.8 lbs lost

So last week, I started taking the stairs (18 steps) to the metro instead of riding the escalator. Yep, I can feel it in my thighs. But since that's the biggest muscle and muscle burns fat, I'll at least do this every week day. 

I think this week I am going to introduce plank into my exercise regimen (but only two days a week). I'll let you know next week how long I can hold that position--probably to a count of 2 Smiley Very Happy

Wow, I tried the plank on Monday and I actually held it for 20 seconds. I was quite surprised. So tomorrow, I'm going to add lunges. I am climbing 40 stairs now, so I feel like I'm really moving forward.

I do want to say though that everything is a deliberate, conscious effort to do the right thing. It's really just like building a great credit profile--It's a marathon, not a sprint. 😂🤣😆

Message 44 of 81
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Week 9 - 20 lbs lost

I took a double take on the scale because I didn't think I had lost 3 lbs but definitely a nice surprise.

I’m up to 2 reps of 30 sec planks. It was hard but I accomplished it. Goal is to do 5 reps twice a week.

I need to get more focused on lunges and squats—only did that once.

The cold weather has prevented me from walking as much as I had been but this is a bad habit I don’t want to develop so starting Friday, I have to get back to 5 days a week minimum.

So Happy Thanksgiving all and today I believe I should have no problems on my diet because I have no cravings. But seeing and smelling all the delicious food at dinnertime will be the true test.

Message 45 of 81
iced
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
Week 9 - 20 lbs lost

I took a double take on the scale because I didn't think I had lost 3 lbs but definitely a nice surprise.

I’m up to 2 reps of 30 sec planks. It was hard but I accomplished it. Goal is to do 5 reps twice a week.

I need to get more focused on lunges and squats—only did that once.

The cold weather has prevented me from walking as much as I had been but this is a bad habit I don’t want to develop so starting Friday, I have to get back to 5 days a week minimum.

So Happy Thanksgiving all and today I believe I should have no problems on my diet because I have no cravings. But seeing and smelling all the delicious food at dinnertime will be the true test.

You've probably read this already, but after about 90 seconds on planks, you start to enter diminishing returns territory with them. Rather than upping the reps, trainers will have you add weights to continue building. You'll find that with the weight, you can then do unweighted ones much longer if called upon because you built the strength from the weights.

That is to say, someone who trains on 2x45sec weighted planks has an easier go at doing 2x90sec unweighted planks, but someone who trains on 2x90sec unweighted planks will struggle with 2x45sec weighted planks.

Message 46 of 81
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

You've probably read this already, but after about 90 seconds on planks, you start to enter diminishing returns territory with them. Rather than upping the reps, trainers will have you add weights to continue building. You'll find that with the weight, you can then do unweighted ones much longer if called upon because you built the strength from the weights.

That is to say, someone who trains on 2x45sec weighted planks has an easier go at doing 2x90sec unweighted planks, but someone who trains on 2x90sec unweighted planks will struggle with 2x45sec weighted planks.

No, I didn't know this. Thanks so much for letting me know. This is why I love this forum. 

Message 47 of 81
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditInspired your progress is amazing! ❤

I'm a big fan of HIIT and strength training. I have no patience for cardio only because I get bored easily.

I'm hoping both will be beneficial in the long run bone density wise. My bone structure is on a smaller side, and I was cautioned about it while in my 20s. It doesn't help that my mom, both maternal and paternal aunts all have osteoporosis to the point of developing kyphosis.  

Message 48 of 81
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks @Remedios for the ❤️ and HIIT info. I searched and found this link for beginners, which is very doable for me https://dailyburn.com/life/db/hiit-workouts-for-beginners/?mtype=16&partner=MFP&sub_id=MFP

That disease is awfully debilitating so good for you that you learned about it early on, and for getting a jumpstart and taking precaution by tackling it anyway possible to prevent the onset of it happening to you. 

Message 49 of 81
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well Thanksgiving is over and I was worried about going cuckoo at dinner. So before I left home I tested my blood glucose level, which was where it should be. 

Everything at the table (served buffet style) looked so delicious.  I did good--ate turkey, ham, salmon stuffed with crabmeat, collards, and cabbage, and was pleasantly full and satiated. Also I took a plate home for dinner today. That really is the best thing for me about Thanksgiving--eating it again the next day. 

And true to Keto, I had no cravings whatsoever for the homemade rolls, gravy, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, or dressing. No cravings for homemade sweet potato pie or 4-layer chocolate cake.

This is what makes being on Keto so darn easy--it literally obliterates the cravings. 

When I got home, I checked my blood glucose again and all was as it should be. 

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving too no matter how much you ate 😁

Message 50 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.