Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Refund Mistake

tag
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

State Tax Refund Mistake

I submitted my taxes in early February and was owed about $141 as a state refund and owed $10 to the fed.  I forgot a 1099-INT, so I sent in an amended return for both Fed and State about two weeks later.  The Amended return showed I owed an additional $66 fed and a state refund of $161 (a difference of $20).  Like clockwork, the Fed cashed their check and I can see on their website at my account, an additional $10 will be auto-debited on April 18.  The state deposited the $141 into my checking account about two weeks after I submitted the original tax returns. Yesterday, the state deposited $161 into my checking account.  I'm not looking to be labeled a tax cheat for '$20'.  How should I go about getting this corrected?  Leave it in the account and wait for them to contact me? Try o contact them, maybe send in a check for the $141.  WWYD??

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: State Tax Refund Mistake

If it were me, I would contact them as soon as practical. This way, they can provide you with some guidance as to whether a notice will be sent regarding the (ooops) overpayment and/or any instructions on how to handle/return any excess amount.

Message 2 of 3
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Re: State Tax Refund Mistake

Great minds...🙃 sent an email today asking for guidance.

@FinStar wrote:

If it were me, I would contact them as soon as practical. This way, they can provide you with some guidance as to whether a notice will be sent regarding the (ooops) overpayment and/or any instructions on how to handle/return any excess amount.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.