Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking the First Salary Offer for a Job

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Taking the First Salary Offer for a Job

A bit of a necro here, but I just wanted to jump in and say I agree with the OP's mindset when it comes to compensation vs benefits/perks.

In my field, I KNOW I could go somewhere else and get a 10-15% increase in pay, however in my current position I'm allowed a LOT of freedom and a very flexible schedule where I don't get harassed I have to run home and check on my mom, or take my dog to the vet during the day or take a 45 minute lunch instead of a 30 minute lunch, or call in sick but work from home and not be charged a sick day.  As long as I get my tasks done and report my time honestly, its all good.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dalmus you bring out the intrinsic benefits of a job that may be ever important to a person and appreciated as you explained. As a past employer I would need help on understanding that there are many aspects to a total compensation package and employer would be mindful to understand that not everything is about money!
Message 12 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

After most of my career spent as an IT consultant and working in the financial sector, three years ago I took a position in the not-for-profit sector.  I know that I could be making more in my previous sectors, but the stress just isn't worth it to me.  They pay me enough, I have lots of latitude, my skills are respected and I get to work for an organization whose mission I can embrace.

Oh yeah -- they have a cage for my bike, showers and a towel service.

I've never enjoyed going to work more.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 13 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

I got my official offer letter yesterday.  I can now retire from federal service and start my next phase of my career.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 14 of 17
iced
Valued Contributor

In every position I’ve accepted, I take the first offer, but we’ve also laid the groundwork in advance what my requirements are to get my acceptance. During the interviews, I’m direct about it so if the company can’t provide my asking salary, signing bonus, and benefits, were not wasting each other’s time later.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

In every position I’ve accepted, I take the first offer, but we’ve also laid the groundwork in advance what my requirements are to get my acceptance. During the interviews, I’m direct about it so if the company can’t provide my asking salary, signing bonus, and benefits, were not wasting each other’s time later.

Last year DW interviewed two people with limited  skills in our industry.  The job was entry level.  Both asked for salaries out of the roof. One was more than what we made.  DW cut both interviews very short and as soon as the people left the office she sent them flush letters saying it was not a good match thank you.  One called back a few month later and DW had to be rude and said we never pay entry level that much.   

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if the first offer is what (or more than) I'm expecting, I'll always reiterate that "I've really enjoyed learning about the company and think that we could be a very good fit for each other. In evaluating the possibility of applying my skill set to this particular position, I was hoping there might be some flexibility for a moderate increase in the starting salary to more closely align the compensation with the desired range of my employment search."

This dumb statement (or similar iterations of it) has ALWAYS proved to be worth at least a $5k-$10k bump in salary.

It never hurts to ask.  Employers don't want to go back to the drawing board when they've decided they want you.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.