cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target EMV Mastercard or Store Card is Here??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target EMV Mastercard or Store Card is Here??

@Anonymous wrote:

I was at Target yesterday and had to use the chip in my card. Looks like they have turned on their system for Chip.

Yeah, they're being aggressive and getting ahead of most other retailers.  They and Walmart are about the only two doing anything

Message 11 of 25
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Well, NFCU issues true chip n pin cards.
My cashRewards is a chip n pin card.
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DigitalArk wrote:

While it has pin capabilities it still is signature priority.  A lot of cards now have pins but UNFCU and Diners Club still remain as the only two true chip with pin priority cards in the U.S.  

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will the debit cards be MasterCard as well?
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

While it has pin capabilities it still is signature priority.  A lot of cards now have pins but UNFCU and Diners Club still remain as the only two true chip with pin priority cards in the U.S.  

First Tech's cards are too.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irish80 - there you go with general sweeping statements. Not true ... USAA Federal Savings Bank has been issuing EMV Chip & Pin Cards for several now (by request only originally). They issued me a chip & pin several years back so I know. Today they are issuing EMV Chipped Cards that are suppose to work flexibly depending on the default requirements of the terminal. One of their early reason for offering such cards is members that are in the military service outside the United States.
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:
Irish80 - there you go with general sweeping statements. Not true ... USAA Federal Savings Bank has been issuing EMV Chip & Pin Cards for several now (by request only originally). They issued me a chip & pin several years back so I know. Today they are issuing EMV Chipped Cards that are suppose to work flexibly depending on the default requirements of the terminal. One of their early reason for offering such cards is members that are in the military service outside the United States.

"Chip and PIN" is usually defined as a card that nearly always asks for a PIN when you use it somewhere with a cashier. USAA used to have such cards but they've switched to chip and signature just like almost everyone else (albeit still having a PIN for use at unattended locations).

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

tmiv - interesting as my USAA AX Card was updated with the new EMV Chip Card but my USAA WMC is back to the older version of EMV Chip then?!
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:
tmiv - interesting as my USAA AX Card was updated with the new EMV Chip Card but my USAA WMC is back to the older version of EMV Chip then?!

Yeah, your AmEx is likely chip and signature due to it being newer. Your MC will become such too next time they send a replacement.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

tmiw - contacted USAA Credit Card processing and had a good "fireside chat" about the EMV Chipped card. They informed me the chip technology going into the cards whether older like mine or brand new like most of them today was comparable. The part dealing with Chip & Signature, Chip & Pin or Chip only was on their end dealing with the various networks and processors. My old Chip & Pin USAA Black WMC for terminal purposes is the same as the new cards. USAA took care of the backroom to get the chiiped cards to work in the various environments existing today. In reading the information from Barclays Bank it appears to be very similar to USAA and I suspect similar to other card issuers today.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.