Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That dreaded post-holiday dieting

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

That dreaded post-holiday dieting

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/NY-Times-article-quot-Perfect-10-Never-Mind-That-...

"Sarah Klein, who manages myFICO Forums, an online discussion group, likens credit scores to dieting because both affect dating but often are shrouded in secrecy."

Oh, I don't know! If someone needs to be on a diet, it would seem obvious, I think. Sarah, could you elaborate?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HiLine
Blogger

Re: That dreaded post-holiday dieting

Message 2 of 6
Sarah
Administrator Emeritus

Actually, what I said was: improving your credit score is much like dieting because you need to have a lot of patience and probably won't see immediate results.

Message 3 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

@Sarah wrote:

Actually, what I said was: improving your credit score is much like dieting because you need to have a lot of patience and probably won't see immediate results.

Hey now, do you really think people will trust you more than they do the NY Times? Man Wink

Message 4 of 6
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Sarah wrote:

you dont gain all that weight in one day so why would you expect it too come off in one? ehh

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 6
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Sarah, thank you. Yes, given all the quick and easy diet schemes out there you would think that patience is required. But improving your health really doesn't have to take much time, if you are determined. If you adjust your dinner portions to bring down the daily intake to 1300-1500 calories, results will show up in weeks. If you allow four to five hours of not eating before going to sleep, you will burn fat all night long.

A great New Year's resolution is to skip fast food and sugary beverages and see how it goes by the end of January. One thing to motivate you is that if you lose 10% of the weight you have put on since the age of twenty, you will live five years longer. Another tidbit from cruising the best readings a bookstore has to offer is to put half a teaspoon of cinnamon on your oatmeal, which increases your insulin sensitivity by 50%. Or how about some sourdough bread better for blood sugar control?

Talk with your doctor first of course, as your mileage may vary. But skipping the addictive processed food is bound to work wonders. Half of Americans, 90 percent of them not even knowing it, have a condition of many names. Pre-diabetes, metabolic syndrome, Syndrome X, diabesity. The number one cause of heart disease, cancer, dementia and of course type 2 diabetes. The solution more than anything else is losing weight.

Not many New Year's resolutions are better than this. And if you enjoy eating nuts during the holiday season, it's absolutely okay to keep that Christmas spirit year round with about an ounce daily of various good fat nuts. The same with diet books, which these days no doubt are on display at a special post-holiday diet table by the front entrance in a bookstore near you, but are also available any time of the year on their regular shelves. All these books piled up on a small table and so full of disagreement with each other!

"Today he eats only whole, unprocessed foods that are high in protein and low in carbs." On Al Roker, meteorologist

"On a high protein diet, when we restrict carbohydrates so markedly, the body thinks we are caloric deprived and ketosis results. The body begins to lose fat, even if we are consuming plenty of high-fat foods, as Atkins recommends. Once you stop the diet, you'll gain it all back and more; if you stay on the diet, you risk a premature death. Take your pick." By Joel Fuhrman, family physician

I happened to see personal finance writer Liz Weston on Marie this morning, so I was reminded of Why Money Diets Don't Work, which mentions determination and self-control. It's amazing how she nails it time after time.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.