Did you mean: 

The card to have?

tag
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

The card to have?

Just for fun,

What is everyones "Must card to have" ?

Is someone just trying to get that black card, or maybe that 5% card , whats your ultimate goal? Or what was it if you already got it.

TransUnion FicoScore 8 : 800 | EquiFax FicoScore 9 : 813 | Experian FicoScore 8 : 760
Total Credit Limit Of : $374,650 | Avg Cr Age : 6 Yrs., Oldest card : 18 years, Youngest card : 2 Month
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Re: The card to have?

The last cards I really wanted and got in 2021 were the Fidelity Rewards Visa 🥰 Amex BCP and Elan Max Cash Preferred. These are the anchor for my cash back set up. I'm looking for a solid travel card but haven't decided on the actual card or how that strategy will align with my current setup. Will see what spring of '23 brings when I exit the garden.

Message 2 of 11
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

For past few months I was after X1 Card, Chase Amazon Prime and US Bank H-D H.O.G. Card and got them all! So noting else in my radar!

I was after Wells Fargo Propel couple of years ago but not anymore! I'm over it...

Probably just garden till next shinny Metal card comes out with decent rewards 🤷

Message 3 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Platinum AMEX. Have it. I've got other cards that earn points, which is nice, but the perks with Platinum go a lot of places. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 11
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Platinum AMEX. Have it. I've got other cards that earn points, which is nice, but the perks with Platinum go a lot of places. 

nice

TransUnion FicoScore 8 : 800 | EquiFax FicoScore 9 : 813 | Experian FicoScore 8 : 760
Total Credit Limit Of : $374,650 | Avg Cr Age : 6 Yrs., Oldest card : 18 years, Youngest card : 2 Month
Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@socalchef00 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

nice

I'd go my Business Platinum. Most of my spend earns 1.5x MRs (construction materials and stuff over $5k) so it ends up being a decent points card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 11
lovebackwards
Contributor

@socalchef00 wrote:

Just for fun,

What is everyones "Must card to have" ?

Is someone just trying to get that black card, or maybe that 5% card , whats your ultimate goal? Or what was it if you already got it.

My goals are AMEX Delta Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve!

Starting Score [FICO 9] - Nov 2020    Current FICO 8 Scores - 7/08/2022

Goal Scores

Credit Cards - Total: $10,750

Inquiries - 24 Months                                                   Most Recent Hard Pull

Goal Cards

Gardening since 05/04/2021 - Goal: 24 months
Message 7 of 11
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Well, I don't have enough assets for J.P. Morgan Reserve nor do I have enough spend for Amex Centurion.  I'm also not willing to jump through all the hoops required for an AOD Visa Signature.  So, the only real goal card I have is US Bank's Altitude Reserve for the 3x mobile wallet category.

Of my current cards, the Amex Platinum has the best perks.  For rewards, I'm willing to juggle many cards for a high return on my largest spending categories.  Choosing just a single rewards card feels like a losing proposition.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 8 of 11
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Well, I don't have enough assets for J.P. Morgan Reserve nor do I have enough spend for Amex Centurion.  I'm also not willing to jump through all the hoops required for an AOD Visa Signature.  So, the only real goal card I have is US Bank's Altitude Reserve for the 3x mobile wallet category.

Of my current cards, the Amex Platinum has the best perks.  For rewards, I'm willing to juggle many cards for a high return on my largest spending categories.  Choosing just a single rewards card feels like a losing proposition.

I think I'd choose the AR as my goal card to have as well. I've posted in the past about a "one and done" card, and I'm ever-pondering the idea. I'd love to take everything out of my wallet and just throw in the AR and be done.

However, the thought of not maximizing every purchase haunts me. I'd use the AR for mobile purchases as much as possible, but even then, I'd still lose out, which (currently) bugs me. Take gas, for example. The local pumps do mobile, but I could probably get 5x with Discover/CFF 3-6 months of the year. Sure, I could put those 2 in my mobile wallet and not carry them physically for gas. But (in my mind) that defeats the purpose of going "one and done".

First things first though. I can't even consider the AR until I have a US Bank relationship, so I'll likely open up an Altitude Go this year. That'll get me one step closer to picking up the AR and then making a tough decision.

Message 9 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Probably the closest to being a unicorn was the CNB Crystal Visa Infinite because the rewards were so lucrative and the card not so easy to get.   I applied in-branch when I was in Las Vegas for a conference and I remember that the paper application (no online apps) itself was 12 pages long.   

Less than a year after I got the card they went ahead and nerfed it.  :-/

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.