The mythical Circuit City credit card issued by Synchrony Bank

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: The mythical Circuit City credit card issued by Synchrony Bank

@iced wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

6 month 0% financing on a Pentium Tower model PC, 17" CRT monitor and dot matrix printer.

Sweet !

What about the 2400 baud modem?! Smiley Surprised (Or were they 9600 by then?)

14400 was widespread 1994, though a budget build (which a Pentium w/17" monitor was most certainly not in 1994-1995) probably still used a 9600 or even 2400. By the mid-90s, bubblejet/inkjet was also an affordable (and quieter) upgrade from dot matrix.

Yeah, a 17" CRT monitor back then was only for professional graphic artists and CAD who could justify the price.  14" was pretty standard.  14.4 modems were common in prebuilds and 28.8 was starting to become a reasonable option for upgrades and beige box builders by the time the first Pentiums were released, although 486 systems were still far more common at the time.  I was a beta tester for both Windows NT 4 and Windows 97 (not a typo, delays happen) and unless my memory is failing me I upgraded from a 28.8 to a 33.6 modem in between and then paid through the nose for an ISDN line (around 128k speed which was still the fastest option until DSL and cable modem popped up later on).

Message 11 of 15
Thermionic_E
Regular Contributor

I was more of a comp USA kind of person... superdupervideo used to rent dos and point and click adventure games like zork, kyrandia and Gabriel knight. I used to have such a **bleep** hard time troubleshooting sound and graphics back then, alwuss having to open them from the prompt. I sure don't miss all the eggshell white. How odd that real player or QuickTime used to take half a day to play a 30 second clip. Bandwidth... circuit city liquidation came when it was not much more than a glorified RadioShack and RadioShack wasn't much more than a cell phone mall kiosk. 

Message 12 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@iced wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

6 month 0% financing on a Pentium Tower model PC, 17" CRT monitor and dot matrix printer.

Sweet !

What about the 2400 baud modem?! Smiley Surprised (Or were they 9600 by then?)

14400 was widespread 1994, though a budget build (which a Pentium w/17" monitor was most certainly not in 1994-1995) probably still used a 9600 or even 2400. By the mid-90s, bubblejet/inkjet was also an affordable (and quieter) upgrade from dot matrix.

Yeah, a 17" CRT monitor back then was only for professional graphic artists and CAD who could justify the price.  14" was pretty standard.  14.4 modems were common in prebuilds and 28.8 was starting to become a reasonable option for upgrades and beige box builders by the time the first Pentiums were released, although 486 systems were still far more common at the time.  I was a beta tester for both Windows NT 4 and Windows 97 (not a typo, delays happen) and unless my memory is failing me I upgraded from a 28.8 to a 33.6 modem in between and then paid through the nose for an ISDN line (around 128k speed which was still the fastest option until DSL and cable modem popped up later on).

At least in MA you didn't pay through the nose for the IDSN line itself, you paid through the nose for the related tariffs.   Smiley Sad   I was using Gandalf ISDN modems with compression enabled which did help a bit.   It wasn't too long after that (1997 maybe) that MediaOne (later acquired by AT&T Broadband, itself later acquired by Comcast) started offering home service using LanCity cable modems and 1.5Mbit down/300Kbit up speeds, so buh-bye ISDN. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 15
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

I've received no response from Circuit City when I emailed them asking for information about the credit card, how to apply and if it's even real. I also brought up the fact that Circuit City isn't even listed anywhere on Synchrony's website. I should figure out a way to contact Synchrony and see what they say, because the card they show off on Circuit City's website clearly has a Synchrony Bank logo on it.

Retailers & Providers in the Synchrony Network | MySynchrony

I have no idea who even owns this current iteration of Circuit City. They've registered themselves as "Circuit City Corporation, Inc."

The only address I found was for a skyscraper in New York City which is where they're probably headquartered. I have absolutely no idea if they have their own warehouse or if everything you order is drop shipped. All of their social media accounts look abandoned and haven't had any recent postings/tweets in a long time. The careers section of there website is incredibly sparse, only has 2 job listings. Careers (freshteam.com) Funnily enough one of their 2 job listings is for a social media manager

According to this source, they have an estimated 5,400 visitors a day to Circuit City's website, they can't be doing much of any business with that teeny tiny small amount of traffic... Wonder how long they'll even be in business. Although if everything is drop shipped and they're running an extremely lean operation, it might not require much business to keep themselves going.

Circuitcity.com ᐅ Learn more about Circuitcity (ipaddress.com)

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 14 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

And, if anyone is running a de facto Circuit City operation, they may be like (which could be the lack of any response):

MC_WAYSOWM.gif

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.