Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The “one of each” strategy?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: The “one of each” strategy?

@kdm31091 wrote:

At least in the US, the "one of each thing" is pretty much entirely just (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) an OCD thing and not necessary at all. 

I would describe myself that way...

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 31 of 44
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I want to have "THE BIG FOUR" so i can join the Avengers Universe and seriously FICO Thanos upSmiley Happy

Surely you made an appearance in Endgame. The newest Avenger: Average Joe. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 32 of 44
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I believe Costco was the only and last Amex only place.

Love to know if someone has a current Amex only story.

Costco would let other network debit cards work.

Did not have an Amex but used Costco with a debit every month.

Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I want to have "THE BIG FOUR" so i can join the Avengers Universe and seriously FICO Thanos upSmiley Happy

Surely you made an appearance in Endgame. The newest Avenger: Average Joe. 

smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 34 of 44
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one that's OCD about this lol. I currently have 3 of the 4, and in a couple of months, I'll be shooting for an AMEX. Totally thought I was alone in my thinking on this.

Do I need to have one of each? No. Do I have to have all 4? Yes!

Message 35 of 44
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have seven credit cards, and all seven are Visa.  I closed my last MasterCard and my last Amex two years ago.  I haven't missed either one, despite using credit cards for nearly all my spending other than rent.  I travel often to Europe and South America and have never had a problem.  Having "one of each" is absolutely not necessary.  I have not had a Discover in many, many years.  And I don't belong to Costco.  I have no plans to apply for a MasterCard, Amex, or Discover.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 36 of 44
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I have seven credit cards, and all seven are Visa.  I closed my last MasterCard and my last Amex two years ago.  I haven't missed either one, despite using credit cards for nearly all my spending other than rent.  I travel often to Europe and South America and have never had a problem.  Having "one of each" is absolutely not necessary.  I have not had a Discover in many, many years.  And I don't belong to Costco.  I have no plans to apply for a MasterCard, Amex, or Discover.

+100

I have no Discover and one FNBO-Amex.

The FNBO-Amex is less than idel for travel because it is on the Amex network, wish it was Visa or MC

Message 37 of 44
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

How much Visa could a Mastercard Discover if an Amex could give Mastercard a Visa?
Message 38 of 44
sarge12
Senior Contributor

How much Visa could a Mastercard Discover if an Amex could give Mastercard a Visa?

Mastercard would discover as much visa as Amex could give Mastercard.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 39 of 44
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

😆👍🎤
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.