Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The “one of each” strategy?

tag
tinglywoowoo
New Contributor

Re: The “one of each” strategy?

I sort of have one of each. My AMEX is a Department Store National Bank spokesmodel wearing an AMEX original ball gown exclusively for Macy's but it's accepted as if it were the real deal, same as any AMEX. Really, for me, getting each has been mainly about increasing my chances of having at least one card that will save the day any emergency arises. I don't want a merchant's devotion to one card translate into a full body cavity search on the car and whatever deliverance a quarter, dime and an old French fry wearing a winter coat offers. I haven't had that emergency yet but I still got the fear. And getting one of each has also been about milestones-- pride in getting each, silly as it may sound. In the meantime, I'm noting which card(s) should stay on when being older means downsizing and not keeping an array of plastic just to buy the weekly bottle of Maalox and the 3590th and latest dead cert winning lottery ticket. If pressed to say what the biggest difference between the brands is, all things being somewhat equal, it really comes down to nothing more than good old-fashioned customer service. Working endless years as a phone palace CS rep, in a former soul sucking existence, means I have very exacting standards when the roles are reversed. Discover reps, hands down, rock it out way more often than the others and, no, I haven't been compensated, in any manner, for my opinion.

"We were just a band that made it very, very big-- that's all." --John Lennon
The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts: the less you know the hotter you get.
--Bertrand Russell
Message 41 of 44
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

I believe Costco was the only and last Amex only place.

Love to know if someone has a current Amex only story.

Costco would let other network debit cards work.

Did not have an Amex but used Costco with a debit every month.

Nieman Marcus was Amex-only until a few years ago.  I'm not sure what year they started accepting Visa and MasterCard.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 42 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

I believe Costco was the only and last Amex only place.

Love to know if someone has a current Amex only story.

Costco would let other network debit cards work.

Did not have an Amex but used Costco with a debit every month.

Nieman Marcus was Amex-only until a few years ago.  I'm not sure what year they started accepting Visa and MasterCard.

Late 2011 apparently!

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/neiman-marcus-looks-beyond-amex-to-accept-visa-and-mastercard

Message 43 of 44
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one that's OCD about this lol. I currently have 3 of the 4, and in a couple of months, I'll be shooting for an AMEX. Totally thought I was alone in my thinking on this.

Do I need to have one of each? No. Do I have to have all 4? Yes!

Amen to that lol

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.