Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The skinny on holiday weight gain

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The skinny on holiday weight gain

I have read that "several studies now show that the average weight gain during the winter holidays is just one pound." That's hard to believe! I gained three pounds after just two days of Thanksgiving dinner. Granted, the pounds were gone after another two days, but only because I allowed normal digestion to catch up by steering clear of each and every holiday temptation, and any day offers many.

"Although the average gain is only one pound, people who are already overweight tend to gain a lot more. One study found that (14% of) overweight people gained five pounds or more during the holidays." (Two thirds of the population are overweight or obese.) It would be particularly interesting to see the median weight gain. (The FICO average is 689, whereas the FICO median is 723.)

The studies also agree that the last six weeks of the year contribute to most of the annual weight gain of one to one and a half pounds, although it's hard to believe that Americans gain next to nothing during the 46 weeks between New Year and Thanksgiving. The studies do not explain that.

If the weight gain isn't distributed evenly throughout the year, something to consider is "how your metabolism acts in the winter and how this affects weight loss." And maybe the body of humans, like animals, stocks up to sort of get ready for hibernation.

What's your take on it? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: The skinny on holiday weight gain

I've eaten like a cow, and I'm up 3 lbs AND have been going to the gym for at least 1 hour doing hard cardio and full body weights.

159lbs....

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Lol - I ate leftovers (no big holiday meal for me), so I must be down a pound or two.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

If I were going to guess, it would be over, under, or average people probably gain the same percentage of body weight over holidays so it averages out to one pound.

I eat a lot but tend to go down during holiday season due to working out a little more.

In the bigger picture it's still all about lifestyle choice. Holidays don't change what your health values are.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

imo most people that eat alot during the holidays are already heavy... so 1-3lbs seems reasonable.. 

the real question is how many people take it off? 

since last jan ive lost and gained about 65lbs...  (currently at 208) was 238 last jan and this august around 190... need to get back in the gym. lol

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

If most of the extra food consumed is meat, you shouldn't be gaining many pounds, of any at all. Simply watch your carb consumption and you'll be fine.

Message 6 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

If most of the extra food consumed is meat, you shouldn't be gaining many pounds, of any at all. Simply watch your carb consumption and you'll be fine.

Maybe or maybe not. Carbohydrates is the name given to one of the three macro nutrients. Fats and proteins are the other two. Sugars, starches and fiber are the three types of carbohydrates we eat. There are good ones and there are bad ones among each of those, which is worth considering since carbs are your body's main source of energy.

Whether a carb is good or bad depends on its affect on your blood sugar and insulin levels. Broccoli scores a very low 15 on the glycemic index, which indicates that it will not have a significant effect on your blood sugar. Little insulin is needed, and so little or no fat is stored. You can eat broccoli all day and not gain weight!

Message 7 of 8
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Last winter i gain 40 pounds from being lazy. I was weighting 235 and this past summer i got back to 195 (my normal weight) im a big MoFo tho so i didnt get fat just muscle turned to fat. Im back in shape and go running everyday after work for at least 2 hours
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.