Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new Galaxy phones

tag
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Thoughts on the new Galaxy phones

What do my fellow android users think of the new samsung galaxy phones? Like the way they look? Hate em? I personally like the new look; the camera bump the way they folded it over reminded of a sword being made on the forge when the fold the metal over itself before hammering it flat. Very specific comparison i know but oh well lol. I pre ordered the ultra as I have saved up money to upgrade from my s8+ finally. Planning on keeping it for 3 years plus at least so i dont mind the price, plus got a good deal on trade in and an additional $200 credit for the pre order.

Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thoughts on the new Galaxy phones

Beware that they got rid of MST on Samsung Pay so you can only use it on terminals with NFC now. It seems many are choosing not to upgrade because of that. 

I have no plans to trade my 12 Pro Max in for a Samsung. I don't like their UI or how long it takes them to release software updates so if I ever go back to Android it's going to be for a Pixel or OnePlus. 

Message 2 of 13
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Beware that they got rid of MST on Samsung Pay 

I did see that, it dosent bother me too much i usually dont use samsung pay but i appreciate the warning. My thought on upgrading was: my current phone is starting to bug out pretty hard and I need a new one. They did enhanced trade in offers so i got 250 for my s8 and i payed for it outright so wont have payments. Im pretty heavy in the samsung eco system with my watch and buds and so on so i didnt wanna give that up. I do know one plus makes a darn good phone though. I used to be an apple hater lol dont particularly like them now but i have just decided theyre not for me

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wrigley2172 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Beware that they got rid of MST on Samsung Pay 

I did see that, it dosent bother me too much i usually dont use samsung pay but i appreciate the warning. My thought on upgrading was: my current phone is starting to bug out pretty hard and I need a new one. They did enhanced trade in offers so i got 250 for my s8 and i payed for it outright so wont have payments. Im pretty heavy in the samsung eco system with my watch and buds and so on so i didnt wanna give that up. I do know one plus makes a darn good phone though. I used to be an apple hater lol dont particularly like them now but i have just decided theyre not for me

Yeah their upgrade offers are pretty good, especially for preorders. As long as you're okay with the MST issue, not really any reason to avoid upgrading. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I went from an S4 to an S9+ to an iPhone 11. I never used MST, just NFC Samsung Pay.

General thoughts...

iPhone security is better. My S9+ got stolen and I didn't understand that certain security features that were on by default on my S4 I needed to activate on my S9+ (which I never did).

I like iCloud as an integration tool between my iPhone and Windows desktop. I could never really make sense of Samsung Kies.

I like the iPhone 11's long battery life. That was a factor in my choosing the basic 11 over its more powerful variants.

Some apps run slower on my 11 than they did on Samsung.

I do miss Samsung's Dual Messenger...a Samsung feature that let me run multiple copies of a few apps (like being logged into Skype for work and personal logins without needing to use some sketchy third party clone).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll never buy a new phone, I let other people do it. My last one cost <$100 for the phone, spare parts, batteries and some time spent flashing updates.

SO however bought a new iPhone. I think the glass back is a sick joke. Bet the phone works great as a hockey puck. Smiley Very Happy

Edit: To put things into perspective how ridiculous phones are MasterCard gives us $1,000 of cell phone insurance a year ($800 per claim).  SO could replace her phone maybe once with that amount. I'd be able to smash and replace my phone 10 times 5 times after considering the deductible.

Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I've used MST a few times,  less frequently as NFC becomes more common, but in one case just two months ago.  However, as some articles have said, MST is far from perfect, it worked that time and not the next time at the same place, so it can't really be relied on, making it going away harder to miss!

That said, it means I don't need to stick with Samsung, as any Google Pay is now similar.   Plus removing SD support on the S21 isn't good, I like keeping some music on my SD card, and an easy way to transfer between devices.  So when my S10+ needs to replaced, while I will look at Samsungs, I will also look elsewhere, which I didn't do for my S6 Edge + -> S8+ -> S10+

Message 7 of 13
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I've used MST a few times,  less frequently as NFC becomes more common, but in one case just two months ago.  However, as some articles have said, MST is far from perfect

I cant say that ive ever used it off the top of my head so not a huge loss for me as well. I used samsung pay with my watch more than my phone as well but im not huge on the samsung rewards so its always been a bit of a hassle for me to use.

My SO has the regular s10 and when she got it mid way through 2020 i was a bit jealous haha. My s8+ has served me well though. I got it right on the cusp of the s9 launch which i was originally waiting for but i shattered the screen on my s7 edge and got it out of need. If i had gotten the 9 its hard to say whether i would be upgrading currently.

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll never buy a new phone, I let other people do it. My last one cost <$100 for the phone, spare parts, batteries and some time spent flashing updates.

SO however bought a new iPhone. I think the glass back is a sick joke. Bet the phone works great as a hockey puck. Smiley Very Happy

Edit: To put things into perspective how ridiculous phones are MasterCard gives us $1,000 of cell phone insurance a year ($800 per claim).  SO could replace her phone maybe once with that amount. I'd be able to smash and replace my phone 10 times.

Some of us use our phones as a replacement for desktops/laptops so it's worth the money for us. I would not be able to stand using an old slow piece of crap phone, especially since I also play games on it. The oldest I could live with would be a Apple A11 device from 2017 or Snapdragon 855 device from 2019 so I might as well buy a new one and keep it for a few years. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you, many people benefit from having nice phones. Being an early adopter of new launches, not so much. There's no shortage of mobile phones on this planet, they depreciate like nobody's business.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.