Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To change jobs or not

tag
Superk88
Regular Contributor

To change jobs or not

Wife and I recently moved back to Alabama to save money and be closer to family. She is a veteran and now a stay at home Mom and is debt free besides her Car. I work and am currently trying to rebuild my credit...i was in 90k worth of debt and now down to about 20k which is a bike I'm desperatlly trying to sell and then a few charge offs.

I work 45 miles from home...

It's 1 hour each way...leave at 7am get home around 630pm or later.

I'm an assitant parts manager for one of the biggest Wholesale Ford dealers in the Nation...the job is fun yet stressfull.

I work 5 days a week and Saturdays here and there.

My income is right now at 75k with the chance to make 120 to 130 in a couple years.

I was just offered a job at a smaller dealer close to home....like as in the drive is 8 minutes one way.

They just bought out the local stores and are trying to make changes.

They wanna bring me in at 60k sallary and with 2.5% commision it would average to 70-75k a year and could grow but how much is unknown.

No Saturdays....home for lunch....home by 545 every single day.

I am so conflicted...the company I work for is great, with great income potential, and I just acquired vacation days. There established and well known...the other is a smaller work in progress.

I would really like the time with my 1.5 year old...and were trying for another soon...but I am trying to think about when they are teenagers where I will be and what I will be doing. How can I best provide for them.

The question of IF my wife will go back to work is unknown...we may try to start a small buisness...we may homeschool the kids.

Very conflicted

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: To change jobs or not

I have been in your shoes. It took me a long time (and a failed business) to learn a hard lesson. That lesson was the time with my family is finite and invaluable. For me the decision was to become self employed and consult but the pay cut was about 30% versus what I was making spending 3-4 hours a day in the car commuting. To me and my family it was worth it. We scaled the lifestyle back. Sold the travel trailer and expensive truck. The decision is, ultimately, one only you and your spouse can make. I can tell you that I haven't missed a soccer game, track meet or school performance since I made the decision and my kids have noticed.

I know it's a difficult decision and I wish you all the best in making it. 

Message 2 of 14
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@Superk88 wrote:

Wife and I recently moved back to Alabama to save money and be closer to family. She is a veteran and now a stay at home Mom and is debt free besides her Car. I work and am currently trying to rebuild my credit...i was in 90k worth of debt and now down to about 20k which is a bike I'm desperatlly trying to sell and then a few charge offs.

I work 45 miles from home...

It's 1 hour each way...leave at 7am get home around 630pm or later.

I'm an assitant parts manager for one of the biggest Wholesale Ford dealers in the Nation...the job is fun yet stressfull.

I work 5 days a week and Saturdays here and there.

My income is right now at 75k with the chance to make 120 to 130 in a couple years.

I was just offered a job at a smaller dealer close to home....like as in the drive is 8 minutes one way.

They just bought out the local stores and are trying to make changes.

They wanna bring me in at 60k sallary and with 2.5% commision it would average to 70-75k a year and could grow but how much is unknown.

No Saturdays....home for lunch....home by 545 every single day.

I am so conflicted...the company I work for is great, with great income potential, and I just acquired vacation days. There established and well known...the other is a smaller work in progress.

I would really like the time with my 1.5 year old...and were trying for another soon...but I am trying to think about when they are teenagers where I will be and what I will be doing. How can I best provide for them.

The question of IF my wife will go back to work is unknown...we may try to start a small buisness...we may homeschool the kids.

Very conflicted

I recently had your reverse situation. Currently, I have been working from home since March 2020 and.I.love.it. In January, we are going back to the office, but hybrid. In fact, it was a hybrid job before the pandemic; 2 work-from-home days and 3 days in the office. I work 6 am to 2 pm and the office is 10 miles from home. Good job, good benefits, but no growth and its time to move on.

Well, last month I interviewed for, and was offered my dream job with my dream company. $20K more per year and growth potential. Now the bad: no remote; no hybrid. 5 days per week in the office 8 am to 5 pm. The fun part, the office is 50 miles from home. I know, wah, poor me. 

But I had to take everything into consideration. I would have had to commute to work which would have added up to 2 hours a day in the car (winter is coming). Wear and tear on the car, gas (going up), time away from home etc. Otherwise, I would have had to relocate to be closer and I just do not want to live in the bigger city anymore. 

I am getting older, in my 40s now. That, combined with what I have learned in life with close ones passing and even COVID is that life is short. Do I want to spend my life in the rat race? Not really. I like my current work/life balance. I do not miss out on my family or taking my dogs for a hike after work. 

I kept trying different scenarios that would make it work and I kept coming back to my current, superior work/life balance and I ultimately declined the position. I no longer care about American success (materialism). I have a home, I can buy a new car every 5-7 years and I go on vacation. I don't need nor want to be a slave to American materialism. 

You seem younger than me (I'd guess mid to late 20s) and you need and want to grow and provide for your family. I get that. One thing that I did was I figured out my hourly rate for my current job vs. the new one. I am salaried so I took my annual and divided by 2080.08 hours which is what one would work 40 hours a week during the year to come up with the hourly rate. The new job was a much higher hourly rate by $8. But then, I times that hourly rate by the (up to) 10 hours a week I'd spend in the car. The time I'd be taking to get ready in the mornings; the ironing on Sundays etc and it just wasn't worth it. So, you could do the opposite. See how much less you'd earn with the new job, but when you take the hourly rate that you are NOT being paid for currently when you drive, and put wear and tear on your car etc see if thats worth it. Or even lost opportunities, i.e. spending time with your wife and kid(s). You don't get that time back. 

I cannot make the decision for you obviously, but if it were me, I'd take the new job, spend more time with your family and in a few years, see where the new job goes. And if it doesn't go well, you could always re-apply for the other opportunity (or any other opportunity). If anything, you could eventually relocate to a mid-way point. The great thing about Alabama is that it is pretty darn affordable. I can't say the same thing out here in Utah.

TL DL life is short and success should not be measured by how much you can buy to impress other people. You have to decide which is more important to you; earning more money or spending more time enjoying life. 

Let us know what you decide eh?

Message 3 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Superk88, I was offered a new job this last spring, and had a similar dilema (although both were work from home).  I had nearly 8 years of time with my current company and over 3 years in the role I had; my income was very good, benefits were great (things like a whopping 10% match for the 401(K) plan), and it was only a matter of time before I would have been promoted to either a Director or an AVP.  The offered job contained a LOT of unknowns, challenges, and in many ways, a complete lack of direction.  Balancing things out, the benefits of the new job were relatively poor compared to my current job, but the income was better, and there was a big fat carrot of both higher income in the future and a fairly fat bonus structure.

I decided to bite the bullet on the whole benefit and lack of a 5-year plan (I mean, hey, I'm already in my mid-60s, what do I need a 5-year plan for?), and took the offered new job.  Honestly, I couldn't be happier.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 14
Superk88
Regular Contributor

So I'm going with the new job...

I'm spending 8 hours a week driving...averaging 480 miles a week. I mean I do drive my 99 tacoma beater with 323k miles and it's a 4cyl but it's still costing me 80 bucks a week in gas.

I'm 33, my wife and I live simple..I am a car guy but I don't like new stuff lol. I have my 99 tacoma and a 97 silverado...my wife has a 2020 grand cherokee than is our family car and our nice car.

The only thing we want is a house and with the way things are thats a bit down the road anyways. I want time with my family. I wanna be able to have lunch dates, and be home and actually spend more thatn just 20 minutes with the family before were doing our bedtime process. I also want my weekends back...when I hired on I was told 8 saturdays a year...I've worked 5 of the last 7 just to get ready for Inventory.

I may miss out, but...I'll be able to take pride in helping grow a buisness in the town I grew up in, and I will be able to be home.

Message 5 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Superk88, one thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post, and which was the main reason for me wanting to post, is, if you are on the fence regarding the new gig, this is a great job market to stall a bit and ask for more money.  I stalled for nearly two weeks and was able to get nearly 10% more money.

Message 6 of 14
Superk88
Regular Contributor

Yeah I just spoke to my current boss and they made the decision very very hard. They offered to move me into wholesale come January...which is an instant...100k a year job.

After a few years of building were talking around 130 to 140k. We 2 of the guys who have been here 12 year. are over 200k a year...Not to mention they leave at 5 to 530 everyday and never stay late....

Now I'm confused again, because again...70 to 75k a year isn't a big difference....n

The new jobs could be around 80 to 85 in 3 to 4 years....here were talking 130 to 140...that is a lot.

Message 7 of 14
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hard to turn that down. Just make sure the family is on board, they will want an extra quart of blood for that money.

Message 8 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I'm about to leave my job this month of 16 years for a 30% paycut. There's future potential which helps, but the reduction in stress and spending more time with my family makes it worth it.

Message 9 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I'm about to leave my job this month of 16 years for a 30% paycut. There's future potential which helps, but the reduction in stress and spending more time with my family makes it worth it.

Ouch; 30% is quite the haircut.  Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.