Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much optimization in spending

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Too much optimization in spending

In our quest for rewards, I find that I see more and more people that are what I think of as "over optimizing". When you have so many cards for so many specific situations/purposes, it seems like it is hard to reap any one benefit or actually get to redeem a reward. Or even if you can redeem (i.e. no minimum), the reward is miniscule, and it seems it would make more sense to build up rewards in one or two systems of your choice. In my personal spending I've found I do better by concentrating spend on a few cards (typically BoA Cash, Amex Magnet , and Costco Visa) vs trying to chase every penny in rewards and never really building up anything or getting anywhere. I played the game of having somewhere around 10-12 cards before and trying to use them all and pay them down and chase the rewards just got exhausting for not enough benefit. Obviously this is a personal thing, and some don't mind all the tracking (and things like Mint can make it somewhat less of a hassle), but I can't help but wonder if they'd do better by streamlining somewhat.

I think it's easy to want to maximize every area of spend, but I think after awhile this seems to be self defeating. I've posted about this kind of thing before, and I know some people agree with me and some feel strongly about the opposite viewpoint.

I see this same thing on reddit, various other credit forums etc so it's not unique to here at all. Before putting in the next FOTM app, consider running the numbers and see how much additional rewards you'd actually stand to gain, keeping in mind you are already earning rewards on your existing cards, so it's an incremental difference and diminishing returns apply as you only spend so much every month. It almost seems to defeat the purpose once you get past a certain threshold of cards/reward programs.

There's also the aspect that I think all the dedicated cards can trick you into overspending on xyz category if you're not careful.

Just some food for thought, happy Saturday night everyone Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Too much optimization in spending

Fortunately I optimize exactly the right amount so your comments don't apply to me, but I agree with some of the spirit!

I would express it more as optimizing your reward/"pain of work" ratio.    So if you find dealing with an extra card causes you some more effort that you don't enjoy, then that card better be bringing in some more significant rewards.    If on the other hand (like many here) credit cards seem like fun, then getting a card for an extra $1 a year can seem like a wise move.

But outside of MS and business reimbursed spending, rewards from spend tend to be small, the big bucks/MR/UR/TYP/etc are made in SUB.

Message 2 of 40
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Also if you have lower income levels,  the more cards you have, the harder it is to be able to actually utilize the rewards you do have because they are too thinly spread....  Sometimes its actually better to take some non optimized spend so you can cashout your rewards... or use instruments where its easier to cash out without a minimum... 

Is it worth the effort to satisfy another cards requirements just to get a little reward... sometimes its not worth the hassle or the price of admission to juggle multiple cards......

-J

Message 3 of 40
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I agree with this. I was exhausted by paying attention to card that optimized best return. Devaluing all for maybe 1% extra. Now I put most spend on CSP, Freedom, FU. This way I get actual value and benefit from UR.

My only dedicated are BCP for groceries, Amazon Visa for Amazon, and Target card.

Message 4 of 40
redpat
Senior Contributor

I consider myself lucky to have business spend that gives me a huge chunk of our MR and UR points.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Also if you have lower income levels,  the more cards you have, the harder it is to be able to actually utilize the rewards you do have because they are too thinly spread....  Sometimes its actually better to take some non optimized spend so you can cashout your rewards... or use instruments where its easier to cash out without a minimum... 

Is it worth the effort to satisfy another cards requirements just to get a little reward... sometimes its not worth the hassle or the price of admission to juggle multiple cards......

-J

This is why I got rid of the More Rewards. $50 is a ridiculous target when grocery spend only earns me $6 a month at the most. Using my SavorOne is 2% instead of 3% but I get my $1 each week when my Monday purchases post on Wednesday or so. 

I do not generally apply for new cards strictly for their rewards. I like a decent SUB as a motivator and I’ll toss the cards some spend every now and then to keep them active. The only card I use on a regular basis that has a minimum redemption threshold now is my ClearPoints ($25) but there is a purchase eraser style function on that card if I really want to use my cash back early. 

There is part of me that wants to simplify my wallet and axe a few cards but two of the three are CUs and the third could become better with time. 

Message 6 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Agree that too many cards can water down rewards. Low income doesnt allow for great rewards but there are some so not a dead end all the way. Sometimes people just like collecting cards, nothing wrong with that, just have to be careful.

Ive been using my Disco Chrome almost exclusively and i gotta say, feels good just using one card and not stressing over which card to useSmiley Wink. If i could have zero debt and start agsin id definetly love to go 3 Card MontySmiley Happy
Message 7 of 40
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I enjoy the game and don't really have much of an issue building up enough points/miles even though I also spend them all the time.

I use store cards for 5-30% off or back on every purchase and use Cash+ (and sometimes Discover) for 5% cash back.  I use Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back toward revenue flights wherever I can use Apple Pay.  Everything else is either there for BTs or primarily for building up Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, ThankYou Points, Marriott points, or SkyMiles.  In addition to the different reward structures, there are also targeted offers for many cards that can make it much more lucrative.

Message 8 of 40
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I'm low income so my strategy is to use my ED Amex for everything.

Everything else....

Hyatt- Annual award night, Hyatt stays, places that don't take Amex.

Hilton- Only be used on Hilton stays.

SPG- Annual award night and only on Marriott stays.

My idc cards...

Citi MileUp- Only got it for the sub. SD. Maybe cancelling after 1 year.

Amex Green- Only got it for the sub. SD. Cancelling after 1 year.

Discover- AA padding. SD

Freedom- AA padding (oldest card so I'm stuck keeping it anyway) also SD

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a somewhat limited income as well so 10+ cards just doesn't work for me.  I'd have to spread them so thin I'd earn a dollar in rewards on each.

3 cards seems to be optimal for me at present.  Any more and it gets to be a hassle keeping up with due dates, statement cut dates etc.

I also only seek cash rewards, not travel.  Since I rarely if ever travel (this could change in the future when I get less broke).

My 3 card monty currently is:

BoA Cash Rewards - used for 3% gas category and 2% for groceries (though my new CFU will now get grocery spend during the 3% bonus period)

Amazon Prime Visa - for Amazon of course.  Prime gets me 5% CB.  This is also my dining card at 2%, though the CFU will also get this during its 3% period.

Chase Freedom Unlimited - my newest card - 3% for 1st year, then 1.5%.  Most of my spend will go on this card, until the 3% promo period runs out.  Then it will get whatever would only earn 1% on the other cards.

I could get higher reward %s with some other cards, but it gets to where the hassle outweighs the relatively small amount of additional rewards I would earn.  Plus with recent credit changes, my scores are plummeting, so I'll be gardening for a while.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.