Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to Colombia

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Travel to Colombia

Hey folks, I will be doing some international travel for work and will be spending some time in Colombia. Has anyone traveled there for an extended period of time? I'm looking for pointers on what to do/not to do in terms of local customs, using credit cards, etc. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Travel to Colombia

Wish I could be helpful, but I've never been there. Have a great trip, though! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes a extremely big difference what city you will be visiting while in Colombia. In recent years Cartagena and Medellin have become more popular for tourist and in turn become very tourist friendly.

Message 3 of 5
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It makes a extremely big difference what city you will be visiting while in Colombia. In recent years Cartagena and Medellin have become more popular for tourist and in turn become very tourist friendly.

I will primarily be in Barranquilla but will most likely be traveling to Cartagena and Santa Marta as well. I will be down there for about 5 weeks. 

Message 4 of 5
TimFlorida
Valued Member

I spent 3 weeks in Colombia in February and 1 week in June.  We did a two-week road trip that included (Tolu, Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Riohacha, Valledupar, Mompos, Sincelejo and Isla Tintipan). In the cities I used my CSP card extensively with no problem.  Between the cities gets very rural and 3rd world, you'll need some pesos in those parts.  We just used our ATM cards and the machines spit out the pesos.  ATM and exchange fees appear on your bank statement.  Exchange rates very favorable, your money goes far there. Street vendors can be aggressive.

TCL: $102,400

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.