cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Dad died about a year ago and I just sold mom's house and moved her into assisted living.  (This is not the pain I'm talking about)

The unbearable pain part was this.   As part of dealing with mom's finances (power of attorney) I pulled her credit from credit check total.   Looking over the accounts I see a Sears card with an open date of 1958.   And then I see it was closed in 7/2017.     A 1958 credit card.   An easy AU add.   I'm so depressed.  

Was it migrated to Disco from Greenwood, or was it still under Sears? If the latter it only would've lasted another year or two anyway before they go under. Was it closed by customer or inactivity? My grandmother (now in her 90's) never had plastic in her life. My future kid(s) will be on my Disco though, my oldest card.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it

OP I'm feeling your pain. As I'm discovering the value of being an AU, 1958 card would've been one awesome TL to have on CR.

Message 12 of 22
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We all have different coping mechanisms...

I drank through a quarter of a million inheritance in about 2 years.

Afterwards I realized I felt guilty for having the money, because my Dad had to die for me to have it.   And I'd much rather have Him back than 10 million in the bank.

Message 13 of 22
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Dad died about a year ago and I just sold mom's house and moved her into assisted living.  (This is not the pain I'm talking about)

The unbearable pain part was this.   As part of dealing with mom's finances (power of attorney) I pulled her credit from credit check total.   Looking over the accounts I see a Sears card with an open date of 1958.   And then I see it was closed in 7/2017.     A 1958 credit card.   An easy AU add.   I'm so depressed.  

Was it migrated to Disco from Greenwood, or was it still under Sears? If the latter it only would've lasted another year or two anyway before they go under. Was it closed by customer or inactivity? My grandmother (now in her 90's) never had plastic in her life. My future kid(s) will be on my Disco though, my oldest card.

The difference between your oldest and newest card is only 16 months Smiley Tongue Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The difference between your oldest and newest card is only 16 months Smiley Tongue Smiley LOL

True haha but they're the easiest to deal with and the lowest util since I only use the 5% categories. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Only Credit One will live for eternalSmiley Wink

AJC, You always make me laugh on here anyways AU for an old card ouch what a miss.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RicHowe wrote:

I really do not mean to offend the OP or come across as flippant, but you have lost your father, your mother is forced into assisted living, and you are posting in a public forum that you are upset that you can't sponge off their old tradeline?

My apologies if my rhetorical question seems out of line and I don't know or need to know your family dynamics, but this post seems a bit jaded.

+1000

Message 17 of 22
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

I really do not mean to offend the OP or come across as flippant, but you have lost your father, your mother is forced into assisted living, and you are posting in a public forum that you are upset that you can't sponge off their old tradeline?

My apologies if my rhetorical question seems out of line and I don't know or need to know your family dynamics, but this post seems a bit jaded.

+1000

Message 18 of 22
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I don't usually reply to personal jabs by posters on here.   It's the Internet and it takes all kinds.   But for the record, my father was 94 years old when he died from Alzheimer's and heart failure.   I took a leave of absence from my job for six months so that I could move back home (to my childhood bedroom while now in my mid 50's) and take care of my parents.   I was at his bedside when he died.   My mother could not maintain the house after dad died so we agreed to move her into assisted living nearby where she has made new friends and is happy.   I visit her every day.

This is a credit forum so I was talking about credit and a little dark humor about a very old AU account and an opportunity lost.    It was a lighthearted comment or a joke - as indicated by the headline.  Get a life.

Message 19 of 22
jlitnns
Established Contributor

I don't usually reply to personal jabs by posters on here.   It's the Internet and it takes all kinds.   But for the record, my father was 94 years old when he died from Alzheimer's and heart failure.   I took a leave of absence from my job for six months so that I could move back home (to my childhood bedroom while now in my mid 50's) and take care of my parents.   I was at his bedside when he died.   My mother could not maintain the house after dad died so we agreed to move her into assisted living nearby where she has made new friends and is happy.   I visit her every day.

This is a credit forum so I was talking about credit and a little dark humor about a very old AU account and an opportunity lost.    It was a lighthearted comment or a joke - as indicated by the headline.  Get a life.

At first I was little taken back, but then I though there is some dark humor in there and that's ok. Like someone said before, we have different ways of coping but humor definitely can help. You have to see the positive in things or else your life will kinda stink. Keep it up OP. My wife and I lost 3 or our 4 grandmothers in December, no parents yet and hopefully not for a while.

Robot Very Happy

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.