cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United introduces new CC & seating !

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: United introduces new CC & seating !

Fly Southwest - We beat the competition. Not you.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL - love it SJT!

Message 12 of 18
sarge12
Senior Contributor

I have actually just read an article, well written, but still in my opinion missing the point. It was arguing that only one side of the issue is being publicized, and that airlines have good reasons for these policies. Even if I believed that the airline was 100% right in what they did, which I do not, I would still hold the opinion that they handled it wrong, because what they did was totally stupid!!! When the airline could not find anyone to volunteer to give up the seat, they should have just kept increasing the bribe until they got 4 volunteers. Even if it cost 10000 dollars a seat, it would have still been a bargain compared to this bone headed way they did this. United has already refunded every passenger on the plane. There will also surely settle out of court with the injured passenger for at least 6 figures, maybe 7. The horrible PR will also cost United Millions. So even if you agree that United had the right to do this, but not even an idiot should even try to argue that United should have done this. If they had just kept increasing until 4 volunteers surfaced even if it cost 40000 dollars, it would be much cheaper, and United would not be the butt of every internet joke. 

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 13 of 18
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

1. Is a Dr still a Dr after having their license revoked for selling narcotics? How does one see patients with no license? - I guess his license is reinstated. Pretty shady doctor I have a hard time having sympathy for.

2. They asked 4 people, 3 were already off, $800 is more than fair.

3. Why is United being blamed, they asked for assistance from Chicago Airport PD. It was the Airport PD that drug him off. All United did was ask for assistance. 

The outrage is ridiculous, everyone is acting like United shot him and threw his body out the shoot to clear space. 

Message 14 of 18
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

1. Is a Dr still a Dr after having their license revoked for selling narcotics? How does one see patients with no license? - I guess his license is reinstated. Pretty shady doctor I have a hard time having sympathy for.

Irrelevant to his being a passenger who paid for a seat

None of them volunteered, they just did not cause a scene, and accepted that they had no choice. $800 may be fair, but was not enough to get 4 volunteers, so raising it higher would have in the end saved United MILLIONS. With everyone having cameras, and in such a litigeous society, United's handling of this is so beyond stupid that it is difficult to argue otherwise. Wheather right or wrong, United stock dropped 250 million as a result, and United already refunded every passenger on the plane their entire ticket price...PR nightmare.

3. Why is United being blamed, they asked for assistance from Chicago Airport PD. It was the Airport PD that drug him off. All United did was ask for assistance. 

United called for the removal and should have been able to forsee the results of a forcible removal.

The outrage is ridiculous, everyone is acting like United shot him and threw his body out the shoot to clear space. 

Ridiculous outrage or not, this debacle will cost United Airlines MILLIONS of dollars. Raising the bribe until they had 4 actual volunteers would have been much, much, cheaper. No sane person can argue this fact, so in the end their actions made no financial sense. Many more righteous decisions like this will see United filing for bankruptcy, but they can always continue to say they were within their rights.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 15 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

1. Agree 100% with sarge. The passenger's personal or legal history has zero to do with what United did to him. Besides that, there are so many laws these days that there's even a book demonstrating that the average person commits three felonies a day without even knowing it.  If a powerful, connected enemy wants you busted, you WILL be busted. They'll find a justification. Likewise, when some PR person or somebody in the media wants to smear you, you will be smeared.

2. If $800 is more than fair, then why didn't a single passenger on the plane agree to take it when they asked for volunteers? Besides, it's not up to you or anybody except the individuals involved to decide what's "fair." You're not in a position to know key issues like how urgent the flight was to the person involved or the person's financial circumstances. In any case, $800 is actually quite low these days for airlines asking for volunteers.

3. United is being blamed and should be blamed because instead of even attempting to handle the situation diplomatically, they elected to use force to eject a passenger who was not being rowdy or disruptive. Calling the cops in that situation WAS initiating violence against Dr. Dao, even if the United agents didn't choose to bloody their own hands. They knew the cops would either physically get rough with the passenger or threaten the passenger with a roughing up.

I understand why airlines overbook, but overbooking is ethically (if not legally) questionable, and when an airline screws up in its overbooking, the airline should find some sensible way of dealing with the problem, without penalizing passengers and definitely without calling in "muscle" to threaten, then beat them up!

Message 16 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'll leave it to the legal minds to determine if United legally overreached or not (although I have my suspicions...) but at least one prominent legal mind believes they could be in hot water should the doctor sue (which is almost certain):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-united-legally-wrong-deplane-134223391.html

Edited to add:  Legal stuff aside, I completely agree that it was both a horrible business decision and a PR nightmare that could have been easily avoided.

Message 17 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Lawyers say United will have to allow Dr. Dao to "write his own settlement amount" to avoid the terrible PR of a court battle.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/doctor-dragged-united-flight-stands-gain-lawsuit-experts-say-n74...

Delta makes plans to ensure that bumped passengers are well rewarded:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-14/delta-giving-vouchers-skymiles-as-apology-for-fli...

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.