Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on my sister

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Update on my sister

Thought I would let everyone know what is going on. My sister who had the massive stroke is steadily improving.

She was taken off the ventilator and taken out of ICU in late June. Since then she has been moved to a nursing home in my mom's town. She is walking and can write with her left hand. They are working on restoring some use of her right arm which was messed up after her first stroke 10 years ago.

She still can not talk but can make noises, which is much more than she could do two months ago. She receives speech therapy 3 times a week.

She got to go outside for the first time in 2 months. That in itself has to be therapy.

Hopefully, within a few months, she will be able to go live with my mom.

I am not a religious person but I do believe in miracles.

Again, thanks to all for their kind words and prayers.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update on my sister

OMGosh, Guiness, I didn't know!! It goes without saying that I'm both crying with you and happy dancing for you!!

Its not much, but I have virtual hugs to spare and a listening ear -- and of course, a shoulder to cry on or vent on!!!

Its not easy dealing with an illness like that -- not for the sufferer or their family. I had a mild stroke over a year ago and my family was pert nigh worn to death worrying over me and taking care of me. With physical therapy and TLC, I've made it back to who I am (as much as can be, I guess). But what mattered most was my family.

So even if she can't SAY it right now (I couldn't THEN), she knows and appreciates what ya'll are doing and how much ya'll love her. And in my experience, that means more than physical therapy ever will -- and does more for recovery, too.

Big warm, comfy hugs to you, your sister and your mom!!!! I'll be praying for you guys!!!

{{{{{{{Hugs!!}}}}}}
Message 2 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 9
demi
Established Contributor

I can remember your message when you left to say goodbye...and when you returned, I was almost afraid to open the message.  How wonderful !!!!  I am so glad she is improving.  It is a slow process, but thankfully one that does seem to be happening.  My best wishes for your family.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 9
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

That's awesome, Guiness! Here are more wishes for a speedy and stable recovery!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

demi wrote:
I can remember your message when you left to say goodbye...and when you returned, I was almost afraid to open the message.  How wonderful !!!!  I am so glad she is improving.  It is a slow process, but thankfully one that does seem to be happening.  My best wishes for your family.

I was brand new here when I read the message about your sister, guiness, and I cried & prayed all the way through the thread.  When it came time to read the update I, too, was terrified to read it and nearly went through the roof hollerin' about miracles and the grace she received.

Thank you for the updates, I'm sure I can safely speak for all of us when I say we look forward to hearing that she is walking, talking and giving you the sisterly "what-for" very soon!

Blessings to you & your family!
Message 6 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Guiness, that's great news. I wasn't sure what had transpired (kinda been outta the loop a bit). Glad you updated us and that she is doing better.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Thanks all for the kind words. I talked to my mom today and found she is getting better every day. Still can not talk yet but, I am positive she will one day soon. She is walking much better than before. Just a matter of time before she can go home.
Message 8 of 9
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Guiness,

Great news and many blessings to you and your family.  Remember, we may not all be religious, but we all have faith in something because we have to believe in something to survive in this world!!!

Hearts
I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.