Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacationing and Covid-19

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vacationing and Covid-19

hi wanted to know what your thoughts are on traveling for the rest of the year. do you have any vacations planned? what do you foresee for summer? i'm hoping all of this will over by then. have friends who had to cancel some travel and weddings. airlines are officially stating covid as a "foreseen circumstance" as of march 11 and will not giving out refunds. i imagine they'll still give credit if flights are canceled.

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Vacationing and Covid-19

I don't see this being anywhere near over😞 Even if we see a decline after the peak , I think a wave will emerge again Why, because people are not doing what they are supposed to. It is really sad that so many people are that freakin stupid, but sadly they are 😡

Not sure how this will play out, I hope I am wrong and we get some kinda normalcy .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

i feel ya. i see a lot more people wearing homemade/surgical masks in public now so that's good! here's to hoping the virus won't survive in the heat.

Message 3 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not traveling on planes or mass transit until I've gotten it and recovered or there's a vaccine. Just not worth the risk.

I may drive to somewhere semi-secluded once the worst of it has gone away.

Message 4 of 61
sccredit
Valued Contributor

We cancelled Spring Break plans and a trip back East for my grandmother's Irish wake.  We are anxiously watching for our July vacation plans.  My gut says the July trip may not happen but we'll see.  It is a driving trip with all refundable hotels so we'll see what happens  

Message 5 of 61
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes my daughter was supposed to study abroad in Belgium. Poor thing she paid 660 for trip and  that's non refundable of course😞

I just hope and pray people just stay the 🤬home , and hope medical professionals can come up with something.

if this lingers I hate to see what state we will all be in 🥺

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 61
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

All of our travel through August has been canceled.

The current prediction in my state is that we'll hit our first peak in 4 weeks (if we don't social distance well) to 6 weeks (if we are successful in flattening the curve). At that point we will have been sheltering in place for 6-8 weeks. People will have grown tired of it and will start relaxing their behavior, which will lead to a second, hopefully smaller wave of cases in June. That will lead to new restrictions/renewed social distancing, until that wave passes.

What happens afterward, roughly July/August, is much more speculative, but the people I know who are experts in a relevant field (public health/critical care/virology/NIH drug testing) are predicting a 1-2 year disruption. I hope they're wrong, but I'm playing it safe.

Message 7 of 61
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

I don't see it happening this year. Even if you felt brave enough you will have to think twice. 

Message 8 of 61
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Things will change for all of us just like after 9/11 to this day. This is a viral 9/11 and will have lasting impacts for a long time. Certain ways of life will change. More have died now than the terrorist attack in NY. Who knows. You may have to be tested in the future before loading a plane or cruise ship, ect. Hopefully they will have a vaccine by then just as if your going to a foriegn country and have to be vaccinated before you go. My next getaway will be by car. I can control that. Cant control air systems in planes and ships. Maybe HEPA filters will be big sellers then. JMO.

Message 9 of 61
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Things will change for all of us just like after 9/11 to this day. This is a viral 9/11 and will have lasting impacts for a long time. Certain ways of life will change. More have died now than the terrorist attack in NY. Who knows. You may have to be tested in the future before loading a plane or cruise ship, ect. Hopefully they will have a vaccine by then just as if your going to a foriegn country and have to be vaccinated before you go. My next getaway will be by car. I can control that. Cant control air systems in planes and ships. Maybe HEPA filters will be big sellers then. JMO.

I don't know what size filters planes and ships use, but Honeywell R filters are getting scarce, with prices rising. Purifier prices don't seem too crazy. The scarcity (perhaps as a result of panic buying) seems to be more with the filters.

FPR 10 filters still seem fairly available.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.