Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentine's Day vs Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Valentine's Day vs Debt

I would, but my wife would get mad at me for it.  Who knew there were women out there who got mad when they get gifts?!

Message 11 of 21
ficonian
Valued Member

She must had been special, or your just a naturally giving person. Curious...ballpark figure...

Message 12 of 21
jm1991
Regular Contributor

I would make them.  I like getting spolied.

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 13 of 21
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

@ficonian wrote:

With Valentine's DayHeart nearly upon us...

Would you obtain more debt,  to buy him or her THAT Valentine gift?

Safe for me to say, no. THAT gift would be on our wish list. Light bulb moment...that's probably why I'm single. Smiley Surprised

Well, my ex broke up with me 2 months ago so I won't be spending any money this Valentines day haha.. But she also left me in debt (I spent a ton of money on her)..

I've been there. Spent tons of money on her only for her to essentially walk out without a hint of remorse.

But, at least in my case, the joke's on her. Her current "man" (yes, I put it in quotations) works at McDonald's and can't do anything for either her or her (soon to be) two children. And she told me she's miserable. But it's not like I care. So... Karma, I guess Smiley Very Happy

/totallyrandom

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 14 of 21
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

@ficonian wrote:

With Valentine's DayHeart nearly upon us...

Would you obtain more debt,  to buy him or her THAT Valentine gift?

Safe for me to say, no. THAT gift would be on our wish list. Light bulb moment...that's probably why I'm single. Smiley Surprised

Well, my ex broke up with me 2 months ago so I won't be spending any money this Valentines day haha.. But she also left me in debt (I spent a ton of money on her)..

I've been there. Spent tons of money on her only for her to essentially walk out without a hint of remorse.

But, at least in my case, the joke's on her. Her current "man" (yes, I put it in quotations) works at McDonald's and can't do anything for either her or her (soon to be) two children. And she told me she's miserable. But it's not like I care. So... Karma, I guess Smiley Very Happy

/totallyrandom

Yep, karma man. In my case, she left me for a man who's richer than me (Im speculating here). I know she doesn't have the cash, and last time I talked to her, she was spending the weekends in LA (expensive city to live in) and she went to SF for a week to watch a concert... Oh well I'm just glad to be out of the toxic relationship, but it sucks seeing her in my classes... haha She acts like nothing happened between us.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 21
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

The SO and I have decided to set a $30 limit on Valentine's gifts.   I did put myself into "debt" for his Xmas gift, but it's actually a special financing deal from Overstock.   Smiley Wink  Anyway, it's the thought that counts, so I see no reason to put yourself into debt just to impress a partner.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 21
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

If I found THAT gift yeah, id splurge right then and there.  If it was just a gift but not THAT gift then no.

Anniversarys are for gifts, valentines is more for kids imho Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

The SO and I have decided to set a $30 limit on Valentine's gifts.   I did put myself into "debt" for his Xmas gift, but it's actually a special financing deal from Overstock.   Smiley Wink  Anyway, it's the thought that counts, so I see no reason to put yourself into debt just to impress a partner.  

Whew ... you said it the way my parents said: "it is the thought that counts" ... which could be all different type of things. A night out, a gift, doing special things for the partner and so on. Great answer Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@japakar wrote:

If I found THAT gift yeah, id splurge right then and there.  If it was just a gift but not THAT gift then no.

Anniversarys are for gifts, valentines is more for kids imho Smiley Happy

+1

As an aside, is anyone ever pressured by "Sweetest Day"? Geez, there was no such animal in Texas when I left in '03. Up here in Wisconsin, it's like a mandated Valentine's Part 2! 

Message 19 of 21
Goblin
Regular Contributor

How much debt are we talking?  I usually start saving up for Valentines after christmas, so I dont really worry....but I cant imagine spending too much money.  The question that's always on my mind is about Big Wedding Vs Debt!  i just dont get it ...im sorry lol

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.