Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various questions about using the boards

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Various questions about using the boards

Now that I've been active again for a little while, I've noticed several things that don't work the way I expect them to, based on decades of using online forums. So I thought I'd ask!

1) When I'm shown that I have alerts, and I click on the bell icon, it takes me to a whole other page; on other forums, I just hover over the alert icon and that produces a list of everything I'm being notified about, and I click on any one to go to it. To check the next one in the list, I just hover over the icon again and choose another item in the list. Here, I have to keep going back to the page containing all the alerts.

2) When a thread gets moved, the behavior I'm used to is that clicking on it (in its original location) takes me to the thread in its new location; it's the same thread, just on a different board. Here, clicking the original yields a link to the new version, and I have to click it to get to it.

I think that's all for now. BTW, I fully understand that every site is unique and the owners/administrators set things up for good reasons. I was a moderator on one of the busiest, biggest boards on earth until I got sick, so I get it! But the two points I've mentioned are just things that don't work as I expect, and I wonder if perhaps they can be changed to streamline them a bit.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
icejam

Re: Various questions about using the boards

I know I'm replying to a post that's a couple months old, but just came across this and I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I've lurked this forum for a while and I love it—it's full of friendly, helpful people and excellent advice/information. But the UI/UX is quite literally straight out of the late 90s/early 2000s. I spent a lot of time on various forums back in the day as both a member and a moderator (ProBoards, vBulletin, XenForo, etc., to name a few platforms), and this forum is like stepping into a time machine. It is in desperate need of an update to something from this millennium.

Message 2 of 6
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@icejam wrote:

I know I'm replying to a post that's a couple months old, but just came across this and I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I've lurked this forum for a while and I love it—it's full of friendly, helpful people and excellent advice/information. But the UI/UX is quite literally straight out of the late 90s/early 2000s. I spent a lot of time on various forums back in the day as both a member and a moderator (ProBoards, vBulletin, XenForo, etc., to name a few platforms), and this forum is like stepping into a time machine. It is in desperate need of an update to something from this millennium.

Thank you! I'm glad to see SOMEONE finally even respond, let alone see my points and agree with them. The forum I used to moderate had a dedicated board for forum-related questions, and we'd answer posts immediately when they came up. I'm surprised no one here [staff] even acknowledges posts here.

Now that this thread is resurrected, here's another thing I dislike: when I'm responding to a post, whether it's the OP or a reply, the ONLY post I can see is the one I'm replying to. Everywhere else, I can scroll up/down and see all the other posts in the thread, which is extremely helpful when you're quoting one post but need to refer to something in another post, too. I end up opening the thread in another tab so I can view the other posts as needed, and come back to the first tab to reply/paste/quote.

Oh, and when you're reading a thread, there's no indication [that I see] of who the OP is. Elsewhere, a reply written by the OP is clearly marked as being from the thread originator, and that's VERY helpful when replying because you know you're talking to the original person, not someone who added a similar post in the thread. And when you first enter a thread, the OP's name isn't even displayed--at least not on my browsers. I have to scroll up just to see the name and date-stamp on the OP.

Thanks again for replying, and if you have anything else to add, please do! You're right about the time-warp idea...

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@icejam wrote:

Thank you! I'm glad to see SOMEONE finally even respond, let alone see my points and agree with them. The forum I used to moderate had a dedicated board for forum-related questions, and we'd answer posts immediately when they came up. I'm surprised no one here [staff] even acknowledges posts here.

Now that this thread is resurrected, here's another thing I dislike: when I'm responding to a post, whether it's the OP or a reply, the ONLY post I can see is the one I'm replying to. Everywhere else, I can scroll up/down and see all the other posts in the thread, which is extremely helpful when you're quoting one post but need to refer to something in another post, too. I end up opening the thread in another tab so I can view the other posts as needed, and come back to the first tab to reply/paste/quote.

Oh, and when you're reading a thread, there's no indication [that I see] of who the OP is. Elsewhere, a reply written by the OP is clearly marked as being from the thread originator, and that's VERY helpful when replying because you know you're talking to the original person, not someone who added a similar post in the thread. And when you first enter a thread, the OP's name isn't even displayed--at least not on my browsers. I have to scroll up just to see the name and date-stamp on the OP.

Thanks again for replying, and if you have anything else to add, please do! You're right about the time-warp idea...

The things you're complaining about are beyond the control of the myFICO moderators and admins.

This site is a Khoros community.  There was actually a major overhaul of the community just a few years ago (2017) and immediately afterwards a few additional cosmetic changes were made at the request of the myFICO community - there are old threads around in the smorgasboard if you're curious.  That's why this site looks slightly different from other Khoros communities, although the underlying functionality is the same.

The myFICO community was established to discuss credit, and the 'Technical Help' board is available to discuss questions or problems folks might be having with the site.  If you want to vent about how the site "should be" that's fine (the smorgasboard is the right place for that), but nobody here has the ability to make changes to the underlying Khoros framework. 

If you want to provide suggestions/feedback to Khoros on how to improve their software, they have their own community where such discussions are welcomed; a link can be found over on the main Khoros website.

Message 4 of 6
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

...   1) When I'm shown that I have alerts ...  I have to keep going back to the page containing all the alerts.

Just found this thread going back through the archives, @SoCalGardener.  Somehow I missed it.

Here's a trick for you if it will help.  My technique when I log into My Fico in my web browser is to go to the alerts page, then right-click on each new message thread or kudo to open it separately in a new browser tab.  Then just work my way across to see each one without having to go back and forth.  Smiley Happy  It's a little cumbersome but I can even do the same thing when working with a mobile phone or iPad browser. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 6
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

...   1) When I'm shown that I have alerts ...  I have to keep going back to the page containing all the alerts.

Just found this thread going back through the archives, @SoCalGardener.  Somehow I missed it.

Here's a trick for you if it will help.  My technique when I log into My Fico in my web browser is to go to the alerts page, then right-click on each new message thread or kudo to open it separately in a new browser tab.  Then just work my way across to see each one without having to go back and forth.  Smiley Happy  It's a little cumbersome but I can even do the same thing when working with a mobile phone or iPad browser. 

Thanks! Great minds must think alike, though--this is the method I've been using! Smiley Very Happy

But I still appreciate the thought. Thanks. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.