Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very funny true story saved by credit card

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Very funny true story saved by credit card

I have written breifly about this in a previous post. In 1981, I was a 22 year old single male, still living at my mothers home. My girlfriend at the time was a reasonably attractive girl of 21 named Janice. I cared for her, but she had no financial sense whatsoever, bad credit, and no job. We had been dating about 1 year when she started pressing me to take the next step and us move in together. I was totally against it, because I had no savings at all, and setting up house from scratch is expensive, but after much discussion, she finally talked me into it. We found a partially furnished trailor, but still had to pay deposit plus 1 months rent, dishes, linen, curtains, pots and pans, groceries etc. So I was working 16 hours a day to try to keep my head above water. Believe me I was working insane hours, always exhausted, and this went on for several months with no end in sight. One morning after working 2nd and 3rd shift, I come home, and Janice says we need groceries. I tell her I can not go because I just got through with 16 hours, and in 8 hours I will have to work 16 hours. So I wrote a check to Bilo grocery store, signed it, but left the amount blank. I awoke to a TV dinner, which while I choked it down, she presented me with the 160+ dollar reciept...I only had 120 dollars in checking. I lose it...what the he** did you buy for 160 dollars, there are only 2 of us I say. I look in the fridge and there is a huge ham. We however had no basting pan to cook a ham. I look in the cabinets and there are...this is not exaggerated...at least 100 individual serving size cans of beanie weenies. I do not even like beanie weenies. Janice...why would you buy all these little cans of beanie weenies? Well I figured you could take them to work for lunch. I had long figured that this whole arrangement was a huge mistake, but felt there was no easy way out now.

Then came a miracle of fate...I recieved a prequalified offer for my first credit card...a visa with a 500 dollar limit, and a 29.99% interest rate. Janice saw me filling out the form to mail back. This was before the internet or rewards credit cards. Janice insisted that I make her an AU on the card, but she had ruined her credit, and I stood firm that she would not ruin mine. After much argument, she stated that if I sent that card application back without naming her as an AU, she was leaving me and she meant it...I did and she made good on her threat and left. To this day I call that my Super Rewards Extreme Freedom Visa Card. I have searched high and low for a card that would provide me with the benefits of that card....nothing has ever come close!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Very funny true story saved by credit card

This is amazing!! I wish I had taken a stand when my ex-boyfriend insisted that I co-sign a loan for him to buy a motorcycle. He was a jealous **bleep** that couldn't get over the fact that his girlfriend had a sportbike and he didn't know how to ride. If I had refused to co-sign the loan, that relationship would have ended much sooner than it did!! Hindsight...

Message 2 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Sarge and Annie, those are some amazing stories!

ROFL... Extreme Freedom Card... quite literally!  smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it...Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Lmao hilarious!!
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am one of those people who never got taught by his parents.  I taught myself about credit.  My mother divorced a man who adopted me at one year old.  I was seven at the divorce.  I had no idea he was not my father.  She had gotten a few credit cards in his name and ran up the tab.  She had an inground pool built in the backyard.  For years I visited him thinking he was my real father and never knew he was not.  He was bitter at my mother and destroyed my confidence as often as he could.  At 18, I was working a full time job and wanted a new truck.  A king cab Mazda with no air conditioning or anything.  The same man agreed to co-sign for me on the truck.  After 10 hours of the sales rep submitting applications to banks (all hard pulls), the rep came back with an approval.  I got cold feet and didn't buy the truck.  I enrolled in community college and went on to get my 4 year degree.  I had no idea that I had wrecked his credit (and mine).  It was almost as if my mother came back to do it to him a second time.  I feel no guilt whatsoever.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sarge, you should add the rest of the Janice saga.

A week later..........

LOL 😂

Message 7 of 15
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Sarge, you should add the rest of the Janice saga.

A week later..........

LOL 😂

OK, about a week after she left, I came home from work to an empty trailer. Since I had not been able to get her key back yet, she had come in and stolen everything I had, including the beanie weenies...she even took my electric razor and toilet paper. It was still worth it to be rid of her. By the way...if in the future you should ask me anything about this, If you call it the Janice story, I may not know what you are talking about...I felt it was best to change the name so Janice was made up name. I also included when talking in the garden about how I would tell my friends at work that I always recieved a Christmas card from Van Camps. They did not actually send me a card, though they should have. Everything else in this story is completely true. I am sure the grocery store manager was like...what is up with all these beanie weenies flying off the shelf. I kind of wish I could have had a photo of the look on my face when I saw all those little cans of beanie weenies in the cabinet...I did not count them but 100 is not an exaggeration at all.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 8 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

What about the ham??  Did she take the ham too??  If she did, then *whew*  you really got rid of the pork fat!  Smiley Wink

I am glad you stuck to your guns about the AU on the CC.

Message 9 of 15
sarge12
Senior Contributor

She took everything...even MY CLOTHES...it was still worth it.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.