cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IF.......The Credit Genie gave you 3 wishes....

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: WHAT IF.......The Credit Genie gave you 3 wishes....

@iced wrote:

@Schwartzinator wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX centurion (delta medallion benefits)

USAA limitless   

That new AOD 3% card everyone is talking about.

My first thought was Centrurion as well, but I can't Justify $12,500 in fees the first year; especially with the lack of travel for the forseeable future. Instead, I'd go for the JPM Reserve and close out the Sapphire. After that, I'd probably just donate the remaining two wishes to someone in need. 

I never understood the fascination people around here had with the Centurion. People whine about $550 in AF (Platinum/CSR) for a pile of benefits they don't use but have no qualms with a $2,500 AF for a pile of benefits they also don't use?

The Centurion AF actually went up to $5k recently, plus $7,500 initiation. Hence the $12,500 figure.

It takes a massive amount of disposable income to enjoy the perks. Without that income, the card is a waste of money.

Some really like the Equinox gym membership.

Spending $12,500 on Delta flights could give you all those flights plus significant medallion progress.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The Centurion AF actually went up to $5k recently, plus $7,500 initiation. Hence the $12,500 figure.

It takes a massive amount of disposable income to enjoy the perks. Without that income, the card is a waste of money.

Some really like the Equinox gym membership.

Spending $12,500 on Delta flights could give you all those flights plus significant medallion progress.

Indeed (though I don't count the initiation, it's a one-time thing). After all, why buy those perks individually when you can get them bundled in on a card that cost more than the sum of the perks you wanted! And, you don't have to spend $9,000 on Platinum for the next year or two since Silver is enough to get you upgraded on most flights right now; unless you really value the Choice Benefit or make very frequent use of award ticket changes, the added value of Platinum right now is pretty negligible.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

If you were given the opportunity to apply and be instantly approved for 3 cards of your choosing to round out your current profile, regardless of past denials, geo-restriction, CU affiliation, 5/24, etc. ....What would they be?

My 3 wishes would be:

1) PCMCU Platinum MC

2) Vantage West Connect Visa

3) DECU 0% Visa

Can the Genie 0 out annual fees? Can I wish for CC that haven't been made yet? Can we wish for a CC before a nerf *cough* Uber Card *Cough*? I am causing trouble for no reason. 

1.) AOD Visa Signature

2.) Wells Fargo Propel

3.) Amex Gold 

Message 13 of 25
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

If you were given the opportunity to apply and be instantly approved for 3 cards of your choosing to round out your current profile, regardless of past denials, geo-restriction, CU affiliation, 5/24, etc. ....What would they be?

My 3 wishes would be:

1) PCMCU Platinum MC

2) Vantage West Connect Visa

3) DECU 0% Visa

Can the Genie 0 out annual fees? Can I wish for CC that haven't been made yet? Can we wish for a CC before a nerf *cough* Uber Card *Cough*? I am causing trouble for no reason. 

1.) AOD Visa Signature

2.) Wells Fargo Propel

3.) Amex Gold 

Lol nope.....just the CC as it comes, all perks (and fees) included.  And I agree with you whole-heartedly about the Uber nerf. Got mine in March 2019, the nerf was to take affect Jan 2020, so I had to actually stop using it in Nov and claim my cashback in Dec...so I got 8 months use out of it. Still salty about that.

Which is why I want the Vantage West card to become my Restaurant cashback replacement. I've rubbed almost every lamp-like object in our house.....no genie yet. Smiley Sad

And I like your idea about "build your own" CC.....would make a good thread actually.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

And I like your idea about "build your own" CC.....would make a good thread actually.

Don't give us that power. People will just make the "perfect" CC without regard of the financial institution and reality. 

But then again I like innovation. Members could talk about different types of reward structures, new card material, never before seen benefits and unique brands of cards. The possibilities would be endless. 

But with great power comes great responsibility. 

Message 15 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Taurus22 wrote:

If you were given the opportunity to apply and be instantly approved for 3 cards of your choosing to round out your current profile, regardless of ...geo-restriction...What would they be?

Citibank Aeroflot Visa Infinite

Emirates NBD Marriott Bonvoy World Mastercard

Carta Alitalia Platino American Express

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.52.42 PM.png Marriott_TopCard-black.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.49.04 PM.png

Message 16 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Make a  if a Genie could grant thread, pure fantasy , and you still have certain people  griping and making it more complicated then needs be. Sheesh, have fun and imagine,  its not going on your credit report Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Cash Rewards, Chase Amazon Prime, and US Bank Cash +

Message 18 of 25
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

All the above.

Message 19 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

If you were given the opportunity to apply and be instantly approved for 3 cards of your choosing to round out your current profile, regardless of ...geo-restriction...What would they be?

Citibank Aeroflot Visa Infinite

Emirates NBD Marriott Bonvoy World Mastercard

Carta Alitalia Platino American Express

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.52.42 PM.png Marriott_TopCard-black.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.49.04 PM.png

For the SUBs? Easier status? Earn rates?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.