Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILLIAMS SISTERS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WILLIAMS SISTERS

Wonder why they didn't put their hands over their hearts when our National Anthem Played.

Phelps did------------opinions?
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: WILLIAMS SISTERS

Because a lot of people grew up not knowing that this is done? A lot of young men, of all backgrounds, don't realize that they should take off their hats and caps. Also that caps and hats are never worn by men inside (boy, that one sure shows my age.)

My daughter commented that their post-win interview was very impressive about how the felt about getting to play for the US in the Olympics.

IMO, it's very dangerous to make assumptions about someone's love for country or lack thereof based on whether they wear a lapel pin, or put their hands over their hearts, or have the proper bumper stickers. Outward display is often just that --display.

edit to add: anyone who flies the American flag at night, as in off their front porch, without having it lit during the darkness, is committing a violation of flag etiquette. But I would certainly never think that it was a sign of disrespect.

Etiquette is learned. Not displaying various signs of respect doesn't automatically mean disrespect.

Those businesses who fly the biggest flag they can find, with the ends in tatters and the colors faded --now THAT bugs the heck out of me. Take it down and find a Girl Scout or Boy Scout troop who will dispose of it properly.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 08-17-2008 08:28 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 45
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Did you all know that when one becomes an American citizen one receives a multi-page booklet on Flag Etiquette?

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 45
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:
Did you all know that when one becomes an American citizen one receives a multi-page booklet on Flag Etiquette?
Smiley Very Happy

Then I'd say a new citizen knows more than 99% of the home-grown variety.

One of my Girl Scout troops was working on some sort of citizenship badge, and we got a copy of the test questions for the citizenship exam. None of us, including the adults, could make much of a dent in it.

A friend of mine converted to Catholicism after marriage. Her husband told her that he didn't know half of the stuff that she studied in her adult catechism class or whatever it was called.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 45
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:
Smiley Very Happy

One of my Girl Scout troops was working on some sort of citizenship badge, and we got a copy of the test questions for the citizenship exam. None of us, including the adults, could make much of a dent in it.

I had to take an exam on (a) English Language, and (b)The US constitution.

Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 45
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:
Smiley Very Happy

I had to take an exam on (a) English Language (we speak American)Smiley Very Happy, and (b)The US constitution.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 45
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

fused wrote:

(we speak American)Smiley Very Happy,

Not according to the United States Government you don't  Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 45
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@fused wrote:

Not according to the United States Government you don't Smiley Very Happy

"America and England are two nations divided by a common language."
-- Variously attributed to Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw. Some years ago in London I attended a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Shaw's Man and Superman, in which a few characters are from the US. The British actors played them as we Yanks sound to the Brits, which is to say an exaggerated version of the Midwestern dialect. I grew up in the East Side of Milwaukee, which is far from typical of the Midwest, and have spent most of the last 25 years up and down the East Coast, but I was born next the Mississippi River, so most of my relatives sound much more Midwestern than I do. But, as Shaw made quite clear in the text, his American characters were from the East Coast rather than the Midwest, so the RSC did about as well picking their US dialect as we Yanks do when we try to sound British:

Hector Malone is an Eastern American; but he is not at all ashamed of his nationality. This makes English people of fashion think well of him, as of a young fellow who is manly enough to confess to an obvious disadvantage without any attempt to conceal or extenuate it. They feel that he ought not to be made to suffer for what is clearly not his fault, and make a point of being specially kind to him.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 45
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@MattH wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@fused wrote:

Not according to the United States Government you don't Smiley Very Happy

"America and England are two nations divided by a common language."
-- Variously attributed to Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw.

Not to mention Churchill!

And it takes a really, really good actor to imitate accurately the language used by those on the side of the Atlantic opposite the one that was the birthplace of said actor!

It is like learning a foreign language - unless you are a professional or learned it as a child, chances are that you will still have an accent 30 years later
Message 9 of 45
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And let me add actors, whether born in the US or elsewhere, who try to do Southern accents. Pitiful. Smiley Mad Not to mention the infinite variety: Appalachian, deep South, Tidewater, and on and on. Very few are able to get it right, and the "wrong" versions are typically insulting, whether leaning toward ignorant redneck or fainting Southern belle.
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.