Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILLIAMS SISTERS

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: WILLIAMS SISTERS

LouMinotti wrote:
I look at China and her people. There is no ethnic mix at all there, and therefore not too much diversity and all that that implies if you know what I mean. I'll take diversity and a mix of culture over that any day. Even if it means feeling like a minority.

There are actually around 56 ethnic groups in China. While it's true that nearly 1.2 billion are classified as Han Chinese, that still leaves over 100 million people from other ethnicities.

Even if it means feeling like a minority? That's what many of us live with every day.

Message 41 of 45
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

jerseygurl4 wrote:

They are also Jehovah Witnesses and that is the reason they didn't place their hands above their hearts. The problem with the society now is that people are quick to judge without knowing the circumstances.

Thank you, jerseygurl! I can't believe I didn't put that together! I'm a huge tennis fan and of the Williams sisters. I totally forgot they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Anyway, let's hope their performance here gives them a boost into the U.S. Open on Monday!
Message 42 of 45
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@islandchild82 wrote:

I look at China and her people. There is no ethnic mix at all there, and therefore not too much diversity and all that that implies if you know what I mean. I'll take diversity and a mix of culture over that any day. Even if it means feeling like a minority.

There are actually around 56 ethnic groups in China. While it's true that nearly 1.2 billion are classified as Han Chinese, that still leaves over 100 million people from other ethnicities.
Even if it means feeling like a minority? That's what many of us live with every day.

Well, I stand corrected. I guess a made another assumption like the OP. It's easy to do and has been the case since the first humans walked the earth. A great book, "The Third Chimpanzee" by Jared Diamond addresses mans innate nature to be prejudicial of "foreigners". It's not an American thing, or a Chinese thing, it's almost as if we're wired this way.

As for being a minority, my children are minorities as their father is Cuban. I kept my married name and I experience the prejudice. I'm a divorced Catholic and experience prejudice from my parish full of intact families and some of the clergy. I'm a bottom ten percent earner living and serving amongst the top one percent.

But my kids and their generation? They don't see race or color or religion or sexual preference or financial assets as the determining factor in regard to friendship or enmity or success or failure. They have evolved, and they are the generation of Americans that may just help put behind us the bigoted and prejudicial rut that still exists. I know they have helped me drop some of my own prejudices.
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 43 of 45
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@islandchild82 wrote:

@jerseygurl4 wrote:
They are also Jehovah Witnesses and that is the reason they didn't place their hands above their hearts. The problem with the society now is that people are quick to judge without knowing the circumstances.

Thank you, jerseygurl! I can't believe I didn't put that together! I'm a huge tennis fan and of the Williams sisters. I totally forgot they were Jehovah's Witnesses.
Anyway, let's hope their performance here gives them a boost into the U.S. Open on Monday!

Venus has said she would vote for Obama if she could vote, but may not vote because Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to vote; Serena has not said how she would vote.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 44 of 45
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is locked!

To maintain the spirit of friendliness and support that makes the FICO Forums the kind of place we've come to value, please be respectful of others by avoiding references to the following topics:

Race
Nationality
Sex
Religion
Politics

--fused

Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.