cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart? Not Price Matching their own site!

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Walmart? Not Price Matching their own site!

This is taken straight from the site. 

Why are prices different in stores vs. online?

The merchandise and prices available on our website do not reflect the merchandise and prices available in our stores. Our stores will not match prices with our online store (or other online stores) because we do not consider them to be in competition with our retail stores. Currently, we do not have access to store inventory lists or price lists at this website. Please contact your local Walmart store manager for more information and availability.

This is bs. i went in store and ended up buying a gateway tower too stream movies too my tv. 

the price is 448. 

online its 378.  and i cant return it since im on it right now. 

i called the store and the department said they don't price match. but if they have the product to get pickup same day, and they honor the online price? 

what is this malarky! 

at this point im heated. idc ill sd my walmart card for eternity. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart? Not Price Matching their own site!

Another twist. 

I settled on returning it and ordering online. 

Turns out you can't do the finance online. 

So its either eat the 70 bucks or eat the finance charge, hmmm 

I guess I have 2 weeks too decide

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 2 of 6
awdsmama
Established Contributor

I hear you on this! 

Toys R Us is the same way.  There was an item at TRU online that was $15 cheaper than in the store but I didn't even think that the store would be a different price so I went in to buy it.  To my surprise nope, not same price and they wouldn't price match.   I stood there on my phone, ordered it for store pickup, wated 15min and VOILA walked out of the store with it at the lower price.     So dumb.

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 3 of 6
DannyC990

I work in retail for a big-box department store. We do not price match on-line prices either. Some reasons:

1) It takes advantage of the fact that a customer in-store is willing to pay for the fact that they can get the item RIGHT NOW instead of waiting for a couple of days for it. (Supply and demand).

2) Overhead costs of selling item on-line is lower then selling in store. That computer you purchased in the store needed to go to a warehouse, which in turn was sent to the store, which was unloaded, stocked, and sold by an employee. On-line price reflects the fact that the computer came from a warehouse and sent directly to you.

3) Shipping on some items, and some websites, is not free, making the price almost the same.

4) No sales tax (sometimes)

5) Local store pricing reflects what the area in which it is in. Kind of like gas, one store is cheaper, one is more expensice.....

Ah! Now I know some of are thinking "but about stores with in-store pick-up, the merchandise came from the store..." My store has the same system.

When a manager changes the price, the store incurs a loss on the price reduction. But when you order something on-line, and it's picked up in store, the loss is accounted for and the store is remburshed for the difference between store price and web price.

Current credit cards:
PNC Secured, Capital One Secured, Target, Ashley Funiture/Synchrony, Sears MasterCard
Message 4 of 6
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

yes, this is what i didnt get. that they can be picked up at store for the online price, via ordering online. and choosing store pickup. 

but i cant just get the online price. 

id have to return mine then order it online and pick it up in 15 mintues (however long it takes) 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 5 of 6
kkemper

Walmart also will not match other walmarts prices! We must love where walmart districts split aka the two stores are in two different markets districts or whatever they call it....anyways, the two stores will having different pricing from time to time on the exact same item and if you show the other store the receipt and try to get the same price they blatantly tell you no! I've fought this a few times to no avail....doesn't matter who I talk to.......
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.