Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We survived the great quake of '08

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

We survived the great quake of '08

OK, so it was only a 1.8 magnitute, but that is big to us in the DC area. Its epicenter was a mile from here and happened this afternoon.

Anyone else feel it?

For those senior veterans out there, outside of feeling it, is it normal to also "hear" an earthquake? I thought I was going nuts until I sent to USGS' website and others reported the same.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: We survived the great quake of '08

I think it's hard to really differentiate between hearing and feeling in some things. If you've ever broken a bone, it's hard to describe how much of it is feel, and how much is hear. (Neither is pleasant.)

Maybe it was the thunder of Peas's and atlast's middle-schoolers hitting town for their end-of-the-year field trip! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 15
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I think it's hard to really differentiate between hearing and feeling in some things. If you've ever broken a bone, it's hard to describe how much of it is feel, and how much is hear. (Neither is pleasant.)

Maybe it was the thunder of Peas's and atlast's middle-schoolers hitting town for their end-of-the-year field trip! Smiley Very Happy

My mother called me April 18 when she felt the 5.2 earthquake in IL.  Said it was a multisensory experience that she'd just as soon not repeat.  Our relatives in California called to welcome her to the shake, rattle and roll club. 

End of school?  We are in class until June 27th.  We'll be hitting DC in 12 days though.  Ninety-six hours of fun, fun, fun.

atlast....
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 3 of 15
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

People up here in Mil-town were clammering about that quake too from April 18. I didn't feel a thing.

When I was in the Marine Corps, I was in Misawa Japan. We would have them daily. There were times that we literally had to hold on to our work stations (big huge bays that held our high-tech "spy stuff") so that they would not fall over.

When I felt my first quake, I thought that it was over. It was more like an earth roll.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have had dozens every day since 4-24 where we live. We had one last Saturday that literally shook our poor house. You can see how many by going here.

http://www.seismo.unr.edu/Catalog/nbe.html

We live in Nevada, and came from California. I never felt them in CA, but we have had quite a few shakers in the last two weeks. CRAZY!

EDITED FOR SPELLING ERROR!

Message Edited by miahmarie on 05-06-2008 07:53 PM
Message 5 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the replies.

Did some looking around this morning...you do in fact "hear" an earthquake. Outside of feeling it, the earthquake will produce seismic waves of varying frequencies out side of the waves that phyiscally hit you (what you feel). Makes sense now, I always heard stories of animals hearing a quake before it is even felt. And we probably heard it because it was very close by.

Now this is the second we've had in 5 yrs. Coming from Florida, we never experienced this before. Though in reading, there was an earthquake in Florida in 1780 that toppled houses, buildings, and killed many. To make matters worse, it happened during a hurricane. Talk about bad luck.

Edit to fix date.

Message Edited by llecs on 05-07-2008 09:27 AM
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in SoCal, we just moved further "so" from the IE/near high desert areas. There have been quite a few quakes that we only read about,  never felt a thing. But last summer there were two that we most definitely felt, and "heard" them too.

The hearing was just a really low, rocky (as in, gravel & rocks) kind of sound. We were in the garage & there was nothing to correlate that sound with, so we realized we must be hearing the Earth. The garage door rattled tremendously, a few light things fell off shelves & more just shook. Really weird experience! Esp to see all the objects shaking in unison, like they were choreographed!
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S.. Thanks to this post, I dreamed about earthquakes all night!
Message 8 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

ivyalmighty wrote:
P.S.. Thanks to this post, I dreamed about earthquakes all night!

You're welcome!  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 15
dizzier
Established Contributor

i'm from SF and clearly remember the BIG one in 1989 (?). You can absolutely hear it, but what you hear is not the earthquake itself, but the moving debris.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.