cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your goal cards/trash bin cards for 2019?

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

What are your goal cards/trash bin cards for 2019?

I went back and accessed the current cards that I've had for the past two years as well as looking at new cards that I have my eyes set on for this summer. My main goal is to have all my cards paid down to less than 5% util by July by making double payments like I've been doing last month. At least by then or even August, I can check my scores again and try to app for at least one or two cards once I feel brave enough to go for it. Here's what I'm looking into getting and also possibly upgrading/closing. 

Definitely want:

Cap1 Savor One- I've been interested in this card for months! The categories that they have for the 3% and 2% are stuff that I do every week. Hoping that in the summer Cap1 will offer a PC from my QS card (my 3rd oldest card) once I move the CL from the QS1 to it. If not, there's always a chance of looking for preapprovals for it. 

Citi Simpliticy-  Since I have a pretty high balance on the Chase FU, I plan to move 30-40% of it to a BT card to pay that portion off within 10 months and then move whatever is left on the card to it again to pay it unless I have the FU paid off before then. 

HSBC Gold- Another balance card that I'm looking at in case I'm not able to get the Simplicity by August. Not sure how easy/difficult it would be to get this card with scores in the mid-upper 600s by that time. 

Interested:

Citi Rewards- Could benefit from the rewards points but it might be overkill with what the Savor One offers. 

Chase or Amex Marriott Bonvoy- I do travel a few times a year for bowling tournaments and vacation. Other than Airbnb, I do enjoy staying at Mariott hotels. 

Amex Hiltons Honors- I really like the rewards/points that they offer but my wife doesn't care for staying at the Hiltons. 

Chase CSP- Only way I would get this card is if I get the green checkmark on my Chase account. Would be a good combo with the FU. 

Trash bin: 

Chase Slate: It pretty much did the job for me as a BT. Will move the CL to the FU around the end of the year for a better chance to do a CLI and get the CSP. 

Cap1 QS1: Since I upgraded from the Platinum to the QS and got my goal set on the Savor One, I can just move the CL to the QS and close it.

So what cards are looking forward to getting this year?  

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
42 REPLIES 42
severide
Established Member

Re: What are your goal cards/trash bin cards for 2019?

You could always PC that slate into another Freedom or something.

Message 2 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@marcforza1 wrote:

I went back and accessed the current cards that I've had for the past two years as well as looking at new cards that I have my eyes set on for this summer. My main goal is to have all my cards paid down to less than 5% util by July by making double payments like I've been doing last month. At least by then or even August, I can check my scores again and try to app for at least one or two cards once I feel brave enough to go for it. Here's what I'm looking into getting and also possibly upgrading/closing. 

Definitely want:

Cap1 Savor One- I've been interested in this card for months! The categories that they have for the 3% and 2% are stuff that I do every week. Hoping that in the summer Cap1 will offer a PC from my QS card (my 3rd oldest card) once I move the CL from the QS1 to it. If not, there's always a chance of looking for preapprovals for it.  It appears the account combination link has been disabled (it is unclear when or if it will be available at some point).

Citi Simpliticy-  Since I have a pretty high balance on the Chase FU, I plan to move 30-40% of it to a BT card to pay that portion off within 10 months and then move whatever is left on the card to it again to pay it unless I have the FU paid off before then.   May want to look into the Diamond Preferred instead of Simplicity as an option.  The Simplicity could also yield a low SL and it is typically a challenge to PC (all things considered - DTI, scores, overall profile)

HSBC Gold- Another balance card that I'm looking at in case I'm not able to get the Simplicity by August. Not sure how easy/difficult it would be to get this card with scores in the mid-upper 600s by that time.   If your FICO scores are near the mid ~600 range, an approval could be trivial for this one, and if approved, it would likely yield a very low SL.

Interested:

Citi Rewards- Could benefit from the rewards points but it might be overkill with what the Savor One offers. 

Chase or Amex Marriott Bonvoy- I do travel a few times a year for bowling tournaments and vacation. Other than Airbnb, I do enjoy staying at Mariott hotels. 

Amex Hiltons Honors- I really like the rewards/points that they offer but my wife doesn't care for staying at the Hiltons. 

Chase CSP- Only way I would get this card is if I get the green checkmark on my Chase account. Would be a good combo with the FU. 

Trash bin: 

Chase Slate: It pretty much did the job for me as a BT. Will move the CL to the FU around the end of the year for a better chance to do a CLI and get the CSP. 

Cap1 QS1: Since I upgraded from the Platinum to the QS and got my goal set on the Savor One, I can just move the CL to the QS and close it.  See above*

So what cards are looking forward to getting this year?  

Message 3 of 43
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@severide wrote:

You could always PC that slate into another Freedom or something.

I could but that would be one more card in my wallet that I don't necessarily need. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 4 of 43
severide
Established Member

Why close a $0 AF account? Use it every 6 months to buy a pack of gum or something to keep it active if you just can't see yourself maximizing the 5% categories every quarter. Plus, the more cards that grow with you, the stronger your credit foundation.

I mean, unless you feel that you'd be tempted to use up your credit and go into debt accruing interest, then yeah that's bad. But, if not, then I think it's worth keeping all $0 AF cards alive as long as possible.

Message 5 of 43
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’ll have to see. Possibly no new cards. But if I do, I’ll second your choices of the Citi Rewards or Savor One. Although the Citi Rewards, for me, would be valuable only on tiny purchases of 2 dollars or less lol so maybe not

NO. I MUST GARDEN. But still maybe Savor One? No. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 43
Andypanda
Established Contributor

My goal cards for 2019 (I think I will app in November) are:

Citi DC

Amex BCE

Message 7 of 43
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Pink you could just be the Savory one in the garden 😁
Message 8 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@severide wrote:
Why close a $0 AF account? Use it every 6 months to buy a pack of gum or something to keep it active if you just can't see yourself maximizing the 5% categories every quarter. Plus, the more cards that grow with you, the stronger your credit foundation.

I mean, unless you feel that you'd be tempted to use up your credit and go into debt accruing interest, then yeah that's bad. But, if not, then I think it's worth keeping all $0 AF cards alive as long as possible.

A very common discussion!   Many people with older thicker files don't feel the same need to keep every card. The positive benefits (AAoA/tcl) are small and maybe outweighed by other factors, such as keeping things simple, no need to monitor and/or keep alive unwanted accounts.

Message 9 of 43
severide
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@severide wrote:

A very common discussion!   Many people with older thicker files don't feel the same need to keep every card. The positive benefits (AAoA/tcl) are small and maybe outweighed by other factors, such as keeping things simple, no need to monitor and/or keep alive unwanted accounts.

Right, but looking at his sig, I think he'd definitely benefit from it.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.