Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card do you carry and why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card do you carry and why?

In my wallet I carry:

-Citi TY Premier - Primary card I use for 95% of all purchases.  I love the points structure.  The fact that the 3% travel also applies to gas really appeals to me, and the 2% dining is useful when I eat pretty much every meal out.  I especially like that the points can be converted 1:1 for a bunch of different airline programs and you're not tied to one in particular.  My customer service experience with Citi has been excellent.  And they have been generous with increasing my CL.

-Cap1 QS MC - This is purely my backup card.  I have one recurring charge set on it to keep it active but otherwise it barely gets used.  It was my primary card for a while - the Premier started as a Citi Forward and then was a basic Citi TY Preferred and I didn't like the points structure on either.  When I upgraded it to Premier that became my primary.

At home I keep:

-Cap1 QS Visa - This is my backup backup card.  I keep this at home in case I lose my wallet with my other two cards.  I also put several recurring expenses on there including Uber, since I wouldn't have to cancel it if I lost my wallet.

Overall it's a simple system that works for me.  I have text and e-mail alerts for purchases on all three so it's easy to keep track, and I pay each off completely at least monthly.  My intention is to rotate the AmEx Cash Magnet in as the home card but haven't decided when I'll be applying.

Message 11 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA cash Rewards for gas and groceries 

Discover for rotating categories

Cash Magnet for everything else

simple and easy

Message 12 of 83
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I carry most of my cards, but only Costco and CSR consistently occupy easy-to-access space.

Other cards...even BBP which gets more spend (but fewer transactions)...occasionally have to sit hidden behind something else.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kerplunk wrote:

Wallet:

• Citi Double Cash - 2% cash back on everything.
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3% cash back on restaurants/travel.
  • Discover it - 5% cash back at supermarkets, this quarter.

Sock drawer:

• American Express Gold Card
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited
  • U.S. Bank Cash+

I may get rid of the CSR and AmEx Gold before the annual fees hit. I would then just use my Double Cash card for everything. It makes life easy.

You value 5% cashback over 4 Mrs?

Message 14 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cards I currently carry:

Amex Gold - 4x MRs on Restaurants and Groceries, 3x MRs on Flights

Cap 1 Savor - 4% on Entertainment and restaurants. This is my backup for when Amex isn’t accepted.

Citi Premier - Gas and Travel. I’m going to likely SD and downgrade this in the summer. I only spend around 100$ a month on gas and I travel like 3-4 times a year. I just need to use up the 66k points I have while im getting 1.25c a point.

Cap 1 Venture - 2 miles on non category spend. I will PC this in June when my AF hits. I currently use this card to erase purchases. Since you can redeem a travel transaction unlimited times, I mainly use this to erase my non category spend purchases

I will likely replace the Venture with the DC when I PC it. Also when I get my US Cash+, it will probably replace my Premier in my wallet. I will then use the Cash+ for 5% on cell phones and tv/internet/streaming and 2% on gas. I do have the Cash Rewards for 3.3% back on gas but my spend on gas just doesn’t warrant just a single card dedicated for it.

Message 15 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Square Cash debit: 10% Whole Foods.  Mainly groceries but also Amazon gift cards (they sell other gift cards too)

BCP: (free 1 year upgrade) 6% other groceries

CSR: 3UR restaurants/travel

Freedom: Quartely categories

PayPal Business Debit: 3% elsewhere

All on Samsung Pay except the first (which isn't allowed)

Not carried but used via mobile wallet or bill pay

2 US Bank Cash + (5% utilities, cell, gym)

Chase Amazon: 5% Amazon

Target Debit: 5% target

Penfed Plat Rewards (4.2% gas)

Lots of mainly s/d cards: Amex OBC, Amex ED, ebates, Citi DC, Fidelity, Consumers Credit Union, Capital One, Citi Dividend (may use next quarter), Discover IT Miles, CFU, NASA and probably others

Message 16 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry most of the cards in my signature. Exceptions being Barclays Apple Rewards, BBVA Amex, Discover Miles and one, if not both NASA cards.

Message 17 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry the following 3 credit cards at all times:

1. Amex Gold - restaurants, groceries, amazon (via gift cards bought at supermarkets)
2. Amex BBP - everything else
3. BOA Travel Rewards - where Amex isn't accepted

I keep the BOA Cash Rewards at home to use for online purchases. All cards are added to Samsung Pay.

In addition to the 3 credit cards I carry, I always have my Charles Schwab Visa Debit tucked away in the wallet for emergencies.
Message 18 of 83
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I carry two cards, one for travel and dining, and one for everything else.  Life is simple, and the rewards are good.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 19 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently only carrying the World of Hyatt and the Southwest Priority cards, both to meet min spend.

Usually I carry the Freedom, Discover IT, and 2% CapitalOne. 

Message 20 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.