Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card do you carry and why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card do you carry and why?

I carry:

AMEX BCP (6% groceries and occasional gas at 3%)

Citi DC (2% everything else)

I have a Saddleback small bifold wallet (great wallet!) so I have to choose carefully what I carry.

SD has:

Target Redcard (5% target but wife carries hers and we always go together)

Chase Freedom (5% quarterly categories but leave in SD unless I need it)

Cap One Savor (4% no annual fee granfathered in) : I used to carry for dining but now I just use Citi DC becuase I only want to carry two credit cards. 

Message 21 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my wallet I’ve got the Amex BCP, which will be downgraded back to BCE once annual fee hits, Uber visa which I use for eating out and for my cellphone bill and some online purchases, and a Citi double cash which I really only use for purchases I might want to apply price rewind to at this point.

I’d like to ditch Uber visa in the sock drawer and just use Citi dc for restaurants too, but I can’t leave what’s probably an extra hundred bucks or so of cash back on the table for the year. I’ve got a discover card too which I’ll pull out of the sock drawer in April for gas stations and keep it in my wallet thru the restaurants category before it goes back in the sock drawer. Cap one qs is dead to me since they won’t give me more than $850 credit limit. I’ll let it close due to inactivity when they’re ready.
Message 22 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I carry two cards, one for travel and dining, and one for everything else.  Life is simple, and the rewards are good.

What is your valuation of URs?   I would have thought that the 2% card wouldn't add that much value compared to the minimalist approach of using CSR for everything (unless actual cashback is wanted)

Message 23 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cards I always carry:
WF Propel for 3x travel, gas, and dining paired with the WF Cash Wise 1.5% on all other purchases. You can combine the Go Far Rewards between the two accounts even though one earns points and the other earns cash back.

BofA Cash Rewards for 2% groceries and 3% online shopping (one of the new selectable categories).

I know I could get higher rates with some AF cards but I'm AF averse.

The cards I sometimes carry:
Discover and Chase Freedom depending on the 5% category currently in effect as well as the Chase Offers or Shop Through Chase portal.

The card I never carry:
A local credit union credit card that is my oldest TL and lowest SL and is through my job (only employees and immediate family can join.) Being my oldest it will live on forever in the sock drawer.
Message 24 of 83
redpat
Senior Contributor

Detective Friday "What card do you use and I want just the facts sir?"

Amex Detective, Amex.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 25 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I carry the following 3 credit cards at all times:

1. Amex Gold - restaurants, groceries, amazon (via gift cards bought at supermarkets)
2. Amex BBP - everything else
3. BOA Travel Rewards - where Amex isn't accepted

I keep the BOA Cash Rewards at home to use for online purchases. All cards are added to Samsung Pay.

In addition to the 3 credit cards I carry, I always have my Charles Schwab Visa Debit tucked away in the wallet for emergencies.

Ha!  Almost my exact same setup...right now anyway. 

1-Amex Gold

2-Amex BBP

I don't have BOA Travel rewards for my non-Amex.  I've got Cap1 Venture1 for that (and hotels for effective 20% discount) and if all else fails just use my Schwab Bank Visa Debit.

Looking to get into Chase UR ecosystem soon.  If and when I can land that trifecta (currently at 3/24 and another will fall off this June), CSR (CSP if I have to then upgrade to CSR after a year), CF and IBC, might wean off MR and fully on to UR.  Like the 1.5 cents/point use on travel flexibility.  

That being said, you'd be surprised how fast MR points rack up with the Amex duo.  The BBP is crazy for non restaurant/grocery/air spend.  It's a CFU on steroids with 1/3 more earn potential.  Love that card!

Message 26 of 83
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

When I’m home:
Amex BBP/Gold
CSR/CFU/CIP for when Amex isn’t accepted, or to cover other bonuses.
Citi Premier

When I’m overseas:

CSR/CIP
Citi Premier
Hilton Aspire/WoH/Venture1
Amazon

[2/2019]
Message 27 of 83
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:
When I’m home:
Amex BBP/Gold
CSR/CFU/CIP for when Amex isn’t accepted, or to cover other bonuses.
Citi Premier

When I’m overseas:

CSR/CIP
Citi Premier
Hilton Aspire/WoH/Venture1
Amazon

What's the appeal of Premier vs. your UR cards and others?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 83
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Whats in my wallet when I'm in the US ~4 months a year

Amex Gold - Restaurants/Groceries

Amex BBP - Non Cat Spend

Amex Platinum - Saks and airlines

US Bank Altitude Reserve - Mobile Wallet but I do carry the actual card as a Visa backup

Citi Premier - Gas

Whats in my wallet when overseas for work

Amex Platinum - Wholesale club for groceries as its the only place that takes amex.

Chase CSR - Eating out and rarely expedia charges for work

Us Bank Altitude - Non Cat Spend and Restaurants that code as Hotels. ocassional mobile wallet as support is rare.

Us Bank FlexPerks - Groceries

Citi Premier - Gas ( its $9 a gallon here so the extra points really add up)

I have the rest of the cards in my signature but those mainly stay in the safe. I have the BOA TR card as a emergency card incase my wallet gets lost/stolen.

Amex Hilton for Hiltons

Amex Delta Platinum - free checked bag and CP

Discover - No AF and my oldest card. Never use it.

Penfed Platinum - My mother uses it for gas for Tjmaxx giftcards which keeps her happy because she doesnt like CC.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 29 of 83
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

AMEX Platinum - Airfare 5x and Hotel 5x
AMEX Gold - Restaurants 4x
AMEX Everyday - General Spend
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - General Spend
AMEX Delta Platinum - Companion Pass
Message 30 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.