Did you mean: 

What card do you carry and why?

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: What card do you carry and why?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I carry two cards, one for travel and dining, and one for everything else.  Life is simple, and the rewards are good.

What is your valuation of URs?   I would have thought that the 2% card wouldn't add that much value compared to the minimalist approach of using CSR for everything (unless actual cashback is wanted)

I value URs at 1.5 cents a point.  That makes the CSR a 4.5% card for travel and dining but only a 1.5% card for general spending.  I used the CSR for everything from August 2016 until August 2017, but then I got the PenFed Power Cash for the 2% cash back.  I have so many URs on the books that I really don't need any more, so I'm intentionally diverting much of my rewards to cash for the time being.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 31 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shadow-Thoughts on US Bank Altitide Reserve. Never heard of it till now. Checked it out and seems pretty amazing but site isn’t clear regarding redemption of points. Looks like they can be redeemed at 1.5 cents per point for travel (statement credit or through a portal?) and 1 cent per point for everything else (again, just a statement credit?).
$325 travel credit. Is it like CAR and they just erase any and all travel purchases till you’ve got $325?
Would love to hear what you think about it overall. Pluses and minuses. What other cards does it compare to and is it better or not as good as those (CSR?).
Thanks!
Message 32 of 83
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@wasCB14

It’s basically just there for gas purchases. Entertainment as well, because BBP isn’t always accepted. I also like having a WEMC with me, just in case.

[2/2019]
Message 33 of 83
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Currently I use my Citi DC for almost everything. However, the ideal plan is the use Amex BCE for groceries, BBVA Clearpoints for gas, and DC for everything else. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 34 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Shadow-Thoughts on US Bank Altitide Reserve. Never heard of it till now. Checked it out and seems pretty amazing but site isn’t clear regarding redemption of points. Looks like they can be redeemed at 1.5 cents per point for travel (statement credit or through a portal?) and 1 cent per point for everything else (again, just a statement credit?).
$325 travel credit. Is it like CAR and they just erase any and all travel purchases till you’ve got $325?
Would love to hear what you think about it overall. Pluses and minuses. What other cards does it compare to and is it better or not as good as those (CSR?).
Thanks!

I don’t have the card but I believe these points can only be used towards travel using their portal at 1.5c. I’m not sure if you can convert them to cash. I think the travel credit is like the CSRs which any travel purchase will use the credit.

I think the general consensus is that if you only plan to book through portals, get the reserve (since you can’t transfer their points I don’t think). If you are heavily invested in URs or just want to transfer to partners, get the CSR. You do also get the 1.5c a point with the CSR via portal too.

It does seem like a good card with the 325$ travel credit, TSA PreCheck and 4.5% back on mobile wallet/travel. I may go for it in the summer. Seems like a viable replacement for the Gold as I can just use my Savor as my dining card.

Message 35 of 83
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks!

There's two different options for redeeming points.

Travel Portal at 1.5 CPP

Real-Time Rewards. When used on Travel its 1.5 CPP otherwise 1CPP.  It's best described as a purchase eraser of sorts. For travel you book directly through the airline/hotel/car/train and you get a text message asking if you want to use RTR. It's quite simple and works well but its currently limited to US merchants.

The travel credit works the same as CSR. You earn points on the charges that get credited. The travel categories arent quite as broad as chase's. I think its just the ones I listed above.

The nice thing about the Altitude is pairing it with a Samsung phone. Then you can use it literally anywhere and its 4.5% on every swipe. Its a great non-cat spend card if you can use mobile wallet. I value Amex MR > Altitude points though so I ended up getting the amex BBP for non cat spend.

It's supposed to compete with the premium credit cards. Every top tier credit card has its own plus and minuses depending on how you will redeem your points. If you arent into the points transfering game its a great card as RTR is much better then being locked into a portal

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 36 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

The travel credit works the same as CSR. You earn points on the charges that get credited. 

Didn't this recently change for the CSR?   You now don't earn points on the $300 travel credit.

Message 37 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

The travel credit works the same as CSR. You earn points on the charges that get credited. 

Didn't this recently change for the CSR?   You now don't earn points on the $300 travel credit.

How sad, Chase needs to step up, there are now multiple solutions for effective 4.5+% reward on travel/dining, and most has less effective fees than CSR.

Message 38 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry my Uber and BCP for the same reason - food.

It just depends if I'm planning on eating now or later 😂
Message 39 of 83
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I carry my Uber and BCP for the same reason - food.

It just depends if I'm planning on eating now or later 😂

Thats all Good & Plenty😊

Message 40 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.